What's your most embarassing moment?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What's your most embarassing moment?
Shock Trooper
Member # 565
Profile #75
Ash Lael - you must be one clumsy shearer - I lived on a farm for 15 yrs and in all of the shearings and crutchings i have never seen someone do something like that with a handpiece - accidentally cutting the sheep - yes. Just out of curiosity how pissed off were you with the sheep when you cut yourself????? :P

--------------------
If there is no light at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and turn the damm thing on yourself!

people often tell me i've lost my mind, but i tell them i have to have one to lose it!

lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #76
quote:
Originally written by dreamqueen:

Ash Lael - you must be one clumsy shearer - I lived on a farm for 15 yrs and in all of the shearings and crutchings i have never seen someone do something like that with a handpiece - accidentally cutting the sheep - yes. Just out of curiosity how pissed off were you with the sheep when you cut yourself????? :P
I was about to do the neck, when the sheep kicked and my flimsy hold gave way. Where there had been a sheep's neck bent over my knee, there was now only a knee. Thus, the injury. In my defense, I was 14 at the time and not exactly an accomplished shearer. :P

I had (and still have) a violent hatred of sheep in general, but I can't remember if I felt any special ill will towards that particular one. But I probably did.

And keeping the wince-inducing stories coming (some beauties in this thread), one I forgot earlier. I actually got run over once when I was young.

[ Saturday, August 20, 2005 04:28: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #77
My parents tell me that when I was about 4 or 5 we had a hallway that I would come running down, but often didn't quite make the turn and would hit my head on the corner of the wall. No scars, though.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #78
I keep falling down the stairs: there's no carpet just smooth painted wood, and without shoes on it gets hazardous. Inability to correctly use a staircase is embarrassing, if there's someone else around at the time.

Even more embarrassing is getting locked out of my house, because then I have to ask our neighbours next door if I can walk through their house, climb over the fence into our yard and get in to the house through the backdoor.

--------------------
Everything I know about the Avernum Trilogy: [ A1 | A2 | A3 ]
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #79
Getting back to embarassing moments, I can now add running through Sydney in a blue bunny outfit to my portfolio.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shock Trooper
Member # 565
Profile #80
You got run over??????

ok I forgive the clumsy shearer if you were only 14 :P

The next cringe worthy moment - 3 days into my new job (at a mazda dealership) me asking the boss what type of car was a Bravo (there was a huge poster of a Mazda Bravo above the door to my office - Yes me is very very blonde sometimes) My boss just looked at me and then at the other poster behind him!

--------------------
If there is no light at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and turn the damm thing on yourself!

people often tell me i've lost my mind, but i tell them i have to have one to lose it!

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #81
Alright, Ash, I'll bite; what exactly led to that?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #82
Presuming it was some kind of radio-related publicity stunt.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #83
Not sure if David's asking about being run over (which was rather less dramatic than it sounds) or the bunny suit, but I'm going to assume the latter.

It was not a radio publicity stunt. A friend twisted my arm into running the City to Surf with him and a couple of other people. Thing is, they were getting dressed up as bunnies and insisted that I match them. Told me that it was okay, loads of people wear funny outfits (which is somewhat true - I saw gorillas, superheroes, chess pieces, windmills, etc). So I reluctantly went along with it.

Since I was the only bloke in the group (the others were pink bunnies) I got all the attention.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shock Trooper
Member # 565
Profile #84
Please tell us that you have a photo to post - I need a good laugh :P :P

--------------------

E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #85
No, I don't have a photo... a whole bunch of random strangers do, though.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shock Trooper
Member # 565
Profile #86
Ok, another embarassing moment - having my new Hyundai Getz for 2 months and reversing it into my brother in law's Prado (the boys at work thought it was hell funny as they could see it over the fence) Outcome? Prado 1 Getz nil

(not to mention the 3 grand repair bill to the rear end of the Getz, all the Prado got was a scratch on the bullbar)

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #87
Ooh, car crashes. Those are fun. I've only had one so far (plus several near misses, mostly while making a particularly unpleasant U-turn across 6 lanes of traffic on my route home from university).

I was pulled up along the side of a highway and my brother was trying to pull up in front of me (I was supposed to be following his car and had managed to get in front of him, so I pulled over to give him a chance to catch up). I took my foot off the brake for a moment, my car slipped forward, and his rear bumper bar clipped the front of my car. The front right-hand side of my car is now mostly concave, and the door on that side makes a funny squeaking noise when it opens. His car is just fine, thank you very much.

Oh, and my father was once run over by a car while he was driving it. Have I related that anecdote on these forums before?

[ Sunday, August 28, 2005 03:53: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shock Trooper
Member # 565
Profile #88
Not that I can remember. my dad managed to get run over by the tractor he was driving, no broken bones though, just a very dented ego

--------------------

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #89
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Oh, and my father was once run over by a car while he was driving it. Have I related that anecdote on these forums before?
Not to my knowledge. I'm ready.

Unfortunately, however, I am devoid of good car crash stories to relate. For me anyway. Quite a while back, someone lost control, skidded a few times across the road, and ended up in our front yard in an overturned rig. That was quite exciting, though I was young and can't remember many details.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #90
I have been accused by an old lady of backing up into her car in a parking lot. It took me a while to understand the accusation, because I was reasonably sure I hadn't. You see, I had turned on my car but, because she was behind me, kept my foot on the brake. I was obliged to turn off the car, get out, and point to the largish space between our respective vehicles to convince her that no collision had occurred, but to no avail. She insisted on inspecting both cars for signs of damage, then let me off with, "You're very lucky."

—Alorael, who has to take these things seriously. He managed to entirely remove the tail light of another car by backing into a snowdrift. It was only snow, and snow is soft and fluffy. There wasn't quite enough room to turn around, but how much harm could some snow do? Apparently, when they are tall enough, piles of snow may compress in the center to a nice rock-like consistency. And thus hundreds of dollars vanished into the mists.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #91
quote:
Originally written by Benny Boy:

quote:

Not to my knowledge. I'm ready.

Okay, here goes. Now keep in mind that I was about 6 years old when this happened, so my recollection may be a little hazy in parts.

Dad parks outside a hardware store. Unfortunately, he decides the sensible thing to do is to angle-park in a parallel-parking area of the car park, and in the process drives over a small concrete barrier that was designed to prevent people from doing exactly that. Since he drives over the barrier at a considerable speed, the barrier just feels like a little bump.

So anyway, he goes into the hardware store, buys whatever it was he needed (I was waiting in the car.) He leaves the store, gets back into the car, starts it, tries to drive out. Unfortunately the car is now wedged between the kerb on one side and the barrier on the other, and has no space to build up enough momentum to get over either of them.

He figures the barrier is a little higher and less curved than the kerb, so his best chance is to back up onto the kerb and use the space this gets him to speed up enough to get over the barrier. But try as he might, he can't get the car onto the kerb under his own power. So he comes up with another bright idea; push against the road with his foot to help the car along. He's a big guy, and he figures he'll provide a pretty good amount of leverage. At this point, you folks in the audience may well see trouble brewing, but my dad's not always so bright, especially with machines (he's blown up two washing machines and a glue gun, but that's another story).

He shifts the car into reverse, opens the driver side door, takes off his seatbelt, leans halfway out of the door, and sits with one foot on the brake, the other foot on the asphalt, one hand on the steering wheel, and the other braced against the car door. He takes his foot off the brake, slams it on the accelerator and uses his other foot to push against the road with all his might. I guess he must have been pushing pretty damn hard, because the next thing that happens is that the car jolts up onto the kerb and all 140 kilograms of my father disappear underneath it.

One way or another he manages to extricate himself from under the car and inspect the damage. His groin's black and blue from being clipped by the corner of the car door as he went under, and one side of his body's had most of the skin taken off it by the surface of the asphalt. On the bright side, the car's up on the kerb now, so he has enough space to force the car over the barrier and drive home (after which he heads to the nearest hospital in short order).

The story has a happy ending -- apart from a bit of nasty bruising, his injuries were superficial. After a couple of weeks' rest and copious amounts of antiseptic, he was back in working order.

[ Monday, August 29, 2005 04:00: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #92
Ouch. Must of hurt. And there must of been a bit of swearing. Any chance of hearing the other stories about blowing up things?

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #93
If he can tell that story, I get to tell the one about my Dad getting a stick stuck through his foot. I've told this one a couple of times in chat but never posted it.

He was mustering one of our massive paddocks on the motorbike, when one of the thousands of dead tree branches lying around happened to intersect with his foot at an unfortunate angle. As he was travelling at a decent speed, being on a motorbike and all, the result was a piece of wood about the size of your thumb getting firmly lodged in said foot. Didn't quite go all the way through, but it was close.

The thing that freaks me out is that he finished the job (another hour's work) before he came home and hopped up the stairs with blood dripping out of his sneaker.

Then he takes the shoe off to reveal a very ugly mess. He gives me a pair of pliers and tells me to pull it out, but I can't tell what's meat and what's wood. So he pulls it out himself. I'm too gutless to watch.

We then drive him to hospital, which is a 60 km trip over rough dirt roads. The quietest 60 km trip with 5 kids in the back, ever.

Plenty of crucifixion jokes got made in the next few weeks.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #94
I can top that story. When my mom was 8 years old she had this crazy thing for Quenepas (not sure if this is the right translation). So she lean into a thing full of concrete blocks in order to grab them, well one of the blocks fell into her head and she had to be taken into an emergency room. She ended up just fine but with several stiches. Nevertheless, a week later she was playing with a rocking chair, fell backwards and ended up in the emergency room yet again.
There is also the time she burned the palm tree and tons of more stories. I never had that problem though; I was always the quiet kid.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #95
Ow. Your mother sounds accident-prone; I'm glad to hear she was alright.

quote:
Originally written by Marlenny:

I can top that story. When my mom was 8 years old she had this crazy thing for Quenepas (not sure if this is the right translation).
I hadn't heard of quenepas before -- it took me a Google search to find out they were a fruit. Wikipedia says quenepas are sometimes called Spanish limes. Despite the name, they're actually more closely related to lychees (which are better-known over here).

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #96
Car related - Subject A: I'm driving through the parking lot at high school and come to the intersection with the street. I stop because there's a car coming and am promptly rear-ended by another student. No damage to my car so we both agree not to report it. The next day at school, though, I find out that he's told everyone he knows that I stopped too fast. (Which I'm sure at 15MPH in the first place was incredibly fast.)

Subject B (much better): Six months ago, driving home as I always do, pulling into the driveway as I always do, gliding up close to the garage as I always do(the suspense is killing you insn't it?), stepping on the brake as I always do... only to find the garage door suddenly on my hood. I had stepped on the gas instead... $700 dollars later the garage door is fixed, but I don't think I'll ever live it down.

Explosion/Fire related - Subject A: At age eight, I picked up a lit fire cracker to see why it hadn't gone off yet. The answer was I hadn't waited long enouth. I suffered only two numb fingers and a ringing of the ear, but learned much that day.

Subject B: Also at age eight, while playing with fire, without supervision, as I was prone to do, a lot, I threw away a lighted match. Problem was my waste basket was a paper bag. It started to flare up, so I pinched closed the top to smother the flames. When I tried to peek in to see if it had gone out yet smoke billowed out. I didn't want anyone to smell the smoke so I opened my bedroom window and placed the bag out on top of the porch roof through the broken screen. I left the bag there, and closed the window, since obviously the fire had been put out by my quick wit and smart thinking. :rolleyes: A minute later when I glanced out the window the bag was engulfed in flames. I grabbed a towel out of the bathroom, soaked it, and made sure the fire was all the way out this time, but I'd ruined a perfectly good towel and melted the antenna cord (we didn't have cable). I got rid of the evidence without anyone noticing but we lost four channels that day. My parents still blame it on the new broadcasting antenna put up in town around the same time, but I know the truth.

Edit: made an m an f

[ Monday, August 29, 2005 10:07: Message edited by: The Ghost of Jewels ]

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #97
quote:

Ow. Your mother sounds accident-prone; I'm glad to hear she was alright.

Yet she still complains about how my little brother, and how hyped he is.

quote:
Originally written by Marlenny:

I can top that story. When my mom was 8 years old she had this crazy thing for Quenepas (not sure if this is the right translation).
I hadn't heard of quenepas before -- it took me a Google search to find out they were a fruit. Wikipedia says quenepas are sometimes called Spanish limes. Despite the name, they're actually more closely related to lychees (which are better-known over here).

I thought that was the translation. We (dominicans) call it limoncillos, and yeah they look a lot like limes only smaller and sweet. It's one of my fav fruits.

Pages