Random software question

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Random software question
Apprentice
Member # 5767
Profile #0
I was wondering, does anyone here know how you can play .avi format movies on a mac, I've used google but haven't found anything. Any help would be apprciated.

--------------------
Death is just an engineering problem.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
The problem with .avi is that it isn't really a format as such; two .avi movies can be in completely different formats, and sometimes those formats are nonstandard or otherwise peculiar. All I can really recommend is that you download as many different media players as possible, and if a particular file doesn't work in one of them, try it in the others.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
VLC does it pretty well, I believe.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #3
I use MPlayer.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #4
I use QuickTime.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #5
QuickTime should work for both PCs and Macs. Failing that, try and get Windows Media Player. That seems to work.

[ Saturday, August 06, 2005 06:30: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

QuickTime should work for both PCs and Macs. Failing that, try and get Windows Media Player. That seems to work.
Unless I'm mistaken, QuickTime is by Apple, so it makes sense that it works on Macs. :P

Also, unless I'm mistaken (if you use a Mac, you know better), it makes less sense for WMplayer to work on a Mac. MS products are not commonly famed for cross-platform compatibility.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #7
My favorite for all my avi movies is VLC. Quicktime for a mac does not play them. I like VLC better than quicktime too so I use it for my mpgs too. (Just look for it on google it's a free download)

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #8
Btw, VLC works for DVDs too.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #9
For my Imac G3, I mainly use Quicktime or Windows medialplayer (v 7.1). My mother has on her Mac OS 10.3 Windows media player 9 i believe.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
Windows Media Player runs on Macs, but some enhancements are missing. Microsoft is like that. (I would guess, with little knowledge, that some enhancements are also missing on Windows. Microsoft is like that too.)

I needed to download some things to get 3ivx working with quicktime on a Mac. http://www.3ivx.com/ is, unsurprisingly, the place to get them.

—Alorael, who is too lazy to worry about having more than one movie player. Therefore he is willing to expend the effort to find all the necessary bits and pieces to make Quicktime work.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Justice by Trial and Error:

Windows Media Player runs on Macs, but some enhancements are missing. Microsoft is like that. (I would guess, with little knowledge, that some enhancements are also missing on Windows. Microsoft is like that too.)

I needed to download some things to get 3ivx working with quicktime on a Mac. http://www.3ivx.com/ is, unsurprisingly, the place to get them.

—Alorael, who is too lazy to worry about having more than one movie player. Therefore he is willing to expend the effort to find all the necessary bits and pieces to make Quicktime work.

You can say that again. It always amazed me how good MS word for the Mac looks, and how ugly its on Windows.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!