The Ultimate "Favourite Game" Poll

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Ultimate "Favourite Game" Poll
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #25
Realmz also doesn't use an earlier version of any Exile engine. It's entirely separate system. Spiderweb and Fantasoft were related more like Chromite and Spiderweb are now, except E1 was stable and relatively fun while Realmz has always been a buggy, shoddy, and typo-ridden piece of junk.

—Alorael, who isn't a huge Fantasoft fan (in case you couldn't tell).
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Icshi:

I really liked BoA to begin with, but the third-party scenarios I've found to be quite disappointing. Most are glitter over substance.
90% of everything is crap.

Seriously, scenarios like A Perfect Forest have easily as much substance as anything Jeff has done.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

90% of everything is crap.

Seriously, scenarios like A Perfect Forest have easily as much substance as anything Jeff has done.

Yes, I enjoyed that one, and found it Jeff-level in terms of actual story content.

But Sturgeon's law (was it Sturgeon? or was it Clarke?) holds true.

I've heard that BoE has some truly stellar stories. I think part of the reason (apart from the time factor, of course) why there hasn't been so many for BoA is that the editor and game are so much more complex, that only those with real strong talents in the technical (rather than writing) department can create these scenarios.

Of course, I've probably just signed up on everybody's death list by saying all this...

[ Sunday, June 26, 2005 21:13: Message edited by: Icshi ]

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #28
Considering that you just called one of our adminstrator's scenarios "Jeff-level", I think you can expect to be banned shortly. :P

Seriously, Diplomacy with the Dead is by no means a high standard.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #29
quote:

Seriously, Diplomacy with the Dead is by no means a high standard.
I didn't think it was that bad. Granted, it had too much outdoor tromping, but otherwise I found it a very solid scenario.

I'm beginning to get the impression that people don't think much of the scenarios that came with BoA. I liked them a lot.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #30
Amend that to "some people" and you're dead-on. Some people think that VoDT, ZKR, and DWtD are all horrible. Others seem to think that they're far better than anything else that has come out yet. Most fall between the two. I liked VoDT and ASR, and I thought that ZKR was lacking but not too bad, and I just never bothered to finish DWtD because it just didn't grab my attention.

This presents an interesting situation with the Blades games in this poll, though: the "demo" for BoE and BoA is substantially different from the full version, although I don't see any effects of that, which may be interesting in itself.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6007
Profile #31
Did anyone like Lost Souls?? I might regester it, I loved the demo so much!
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #32
I don't think it's that bad a game, I just find it really boring.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #33
ZKR is one of the best scenarios packaged with BOA. I liked the whole concept. As for 3rd party scenarios most have been enjoyable. LP, Bahs, Mad Ambition being some of the best.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #34
The first time I played through all the scenarios that came with BoA, I liked A Small Rebellion best. Second time through, though, I came to really like the Za-Khazi Run. There's so much there to explore, and you can experiment with different routes each time. It also had the subterranean setting that I found so enthralling with the first two Avernum games. To me, an Avernum game should be about being underground. That's this series' main claim to fame, I think. But once you're on the surface world, it becomes much like any other fantasy RPG.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #35
Although I liked Exile I, the first Spidweb's game I've played years ago, only when the Avernums came out I've decided to register (the Avernum series and BoA).

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #36
The streak of not-being-fooled-by-the-demo continues. A very small percentage of the total number that have registered have thought games were poor or terrible.

And who are these three people who registered Galactic Core and thought that it was great?! We know one....

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #37
quote:
Originally written by Manhood Typing Kelandon:

And who are these three people who registered Galactic Core and thought that it was great?! We know one....
Yes, I'd be interested in knowing who the other two are. But I suspect a couple of smartasses said they did when they didn't, just to stir up chatter and make people ask the inevitable awkward questions.

Or maybe—just maybe—a couple of you need to make A Trip to the Confessional and come clean.

Put please just unburden yourself in a post and ignore the poll because I rather made a complete mess of it... :rolleyes:

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #38
Okay, own up. Who claims to have registered BoE and hated it, and why are you trying to mess with the results?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #39
I bought and finished both Avernum 1 and Nethergate, and thought they were good. I demoed all three Geneforges, and liked them all about the same; the same with A2 and A4. I demoed BoA, and it was buggy and did wierd things to my computer when I played it (mainly making it not turn off). Homeland's demo was actually not bad...

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #40
quote:

Okay, own up. Who claims to have registered BoE and hated it, and why are you trying to mess with the results?
Hi Ash:

That was me. I registered BoE and hated it. Sorry to mess up your poll. I wasn't aware that having a low opinion of BoE was nearly as despicable as genocide, but I've since been informed.

Z

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #41
quote:
Originally written by Zorro:

quote:

Hi Ash:

That was me. I registered BoE and hated it. Sorry to mess up your poll. I wasn't aware that having a low opinion of BoE was nearly as despicable as genocide, but I've since been informed.

Z

He was saying that no one who registered BoE could hate it, and thus must be playing with the results just to do so; you are the first I have heard say that they hated it, but if that was your honest answer than that is what you should have said.

[ Monday, July 11, 2005 07:48: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #42
Ignore that female.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #43
Ignore that martyr, he just want the attention aimed on his old terror.

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #44
quote:
Originally written by Marx' Martyr:

Ignore that female.
He would have voted that way in any poll if that is what he thinks of BoE (though I would like to know what exactly he didn't like about it.), and if you want an honest poll you are bound to get such a response occasionally.

quote:
Originally written by Eagle, the author soul:

Ignore that martyr, he just want the attention aimed on his old terror.
What TM said was not an insult.

[ Monday, July 11, 2005 13:44: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #45
quote:
Originally written by Zorro:

I wasn't aware that having a low opinion of BoE was nearly as despicable as genocide, but I've since been informed.
Well, now you know. :P

Seriously, why didn't you like it? I can understand not liking the engine, but then you wouldn't have registered it, surely. Did you only play bad scenarios or something?

[ Monday, July 11, 2005 13:50: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #46
quote:

Seriously, why didn't you like it? I can understand not liking the engine, but then you wouldn't have registered it, surely.
He registered Exile 1, Exile 2, Exile 3 and BoE at the same time, and disliked them all. Apparently he briefly forgot that he hated the engine.

[ Monday, July 11, 2005 15:54: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #47
Ah, I hadn't read that topic.

Zorro, BoE is worth the effort of getting into. Around half of the skills/spells aren't worth wasting time on. You can learn the essentials quickly, and many modern scenarios are combat-light as most of us have gotten very bored with the regular engine too after 200 or so scenarios. Or you could just get a god party and walk over everything and get to the bits you enjoy. :)

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #48
I'm going to *bump* this back to the top, so we can get this show back on the road.

--------------------
Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #49
Why not make a tradition of reviving this topic every time a new 'Favorite Game' poll is made?

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?

Pages