The Ultimate "Favourite Game" Poll

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Ultimate "Favourite Game" Poll
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #0
I figured let's do this properly, get it out of the way, and hopefully we won't have to do it ever again. Also, it might be cool to get some stats that mean something. :)

The trouble with most polls like this is that most people who vote won't have played all the games, so there's a certain amount of skew. This poll is designed to tell us not only which game the most people liked, but which game the most people played, and which game has the best "satisfaction rate".

Edit: And by a neat coincidence, it's a cool way to celebrate 500 posts. In this account. Yeah.

[ Saturday, June 25, 2005 18:49: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 17 question(s). 83 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=ASGUJiqKwOjO"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=ASGUJiqKwOjO"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
We should just keep this thread active in perpetuity (which is a great word), like TM's moniker's thread.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #2
Some fora have permanent topics, that are stickied. Is UBB capable of doing that?

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #3
I voted many "haven't played." With BoE (registered and thought it was great), I have no interest to get any of those other games. I'm happy with what I have now. Every Spiderweb game that I have is registerd.

[ Saturday, June 25, 2005 19:34: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
No, UBB can't sticky.

I wish there were a little more specificity (another good word, and fun to say!). I called Lost Souls, Geneforge, and E1 all okay. E1 is the only one I have attempted to register (how did I fail? Different story), and it also suffers from being the oldest. Lost Souls I wouldn't even really consider paying for even though it appears from the poll that I like it as much as the other two.

And so on. But that's enough ranting.

—Alorael, who doesn't think "poor" or "terrible" are quite accurate for GC. "Mind-numbing" is much more accurate.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #5
How specific should it be, exactly? should there be a 1-10 scale rather than 1-5?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #6
Am I the only one who thought RW games were great?
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #7
No I also love RW games.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #8
11 votes in, and so far it looks a bit like this:

MOST PLAYED: A2. Everyone has at least tried the demo, and it shares the lead for most registrations.

MOST APPEALING DEMO: BoA. Everybody who gave the demo a try registered, except for one person, who rated it 'good'.

MOST LOVED: BoE. Everyone who registered gave it full marks. It also has the highest number of 'great' votes of any game.

Homeland and all the RWGs have received one 'registered, great' vote. I suspect that at least some of these people are lying. However, assuming they aren't:

LEAST PLAYED: Tie between Homeland and GC. Bad press, I suspect.

MOST HATED: Homeland. Aside from the one person who claims to have registered and loved it, every one who touched the demo thought it was awful.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #9
I myself have registered every single one of the games whose full versions I have enjoyed, but the pirates seem to be marginalized. Does "registered" mean "payed money for" or does it mean "played the full version?"

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #10
Bad boy. :P

I meant "played full version" as that's the thing that skews quality assessment.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #11
E2, demo, great.

E3, demo, great.

I have only played those 2 fine games.

Congrats, Creator.

EDIT: I seriously doubt that this will be the last one. A lot of new members simply post this poll and leave, never to come back or post again.

[ Saturday, June 25, 2005 23:31: Message edited by: Kasreyn of The Gyre ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #12
I've played all of their Wihdows ones, not registered E1,E2,A1,A2,or GF1 yeat, but I will someday!

- Archmagi Micael

WHO said that Homeland was good?

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #13
Glad to vote for a such a cool topic!
Never played AV1 or A2 but I will. Sooner or later.

-- Diarog Lethuta

--------------------
Ever since I met you so very long ago,
There's been something I've badly needed to know,
Do you love me and want to end my pain?
Or do I pursue your love in vain?

"And your not a doctor, but you play one in real life" -Jerry Seinfield

"My power extends far beyond space and time, do not dare oppose me, for my wrath is something to be greatly feared" -Diarog Lethuta: The Tome of Diarog Lethuta, Egypt, 5000 B.C.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #14
After 30 votes...

MOST PLAYED: BoA. Of those who voted, only four haven't tried it. It also has the most registrations, sitting on 20 at the moment.

MOST APPEALING DEMO: BoA. 26 people tried the demo, 20 of them registered, and the other 6 had generally positive impressions of what they saw.

MOST LOVED: BoE. Of the 17 who registered, only one didn't rate it as 'great' though s/he still thought it was 'good'.

LEAST PLAYED: Galactic Core and *sigh* SubTerra.

MOST HATED: Homeland, by a decent margin.

It's really interesting to look at the Geneforge series. GF1 is well loved, but the approval drops quite quickly as the series goes on...

Go the Bladeses!

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Apprentice
Member # 6016
Profile #15
I vote all of em as "Played the demo, thought it was great.", cuz i like em all. SWS's games are pretty good. Seriously, i think they make good games. I'd play any game, nomatter how the graphics look. Why? Cuz i'm nice. :P

--------------------
I'm a Brainstomer. o_O
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
I'm really surprised at how poorly GF3 is doing. I thought a lot of people really liked it, but it's not showing up that way at the moment.

EDIT: It also appears (no surprise) that only a few have been duped by the demo. About half the games have someone who registered but thought it was poor or terrible, but only GF2 has even two.

[ Sunday, June 26, 2005 09:43: Message edited by: Manhood Typing Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #17
This is blasphemy! What's with all the people who haven't played E2?!

A good poll. Probably the only good one I've seen in many-a-year.

For the record, since we should make this a permi-thread:
MY MOST PLAYED: BOE. Who's isn't it?
MY FAV. DEMO: E1, it's what introduced me (and everyone else) to Spidweb.
MY MOST LOVED: BOE. Hands down.
MY LEAST PLAYED: All those non-Exile/Avernum/Geneforge games. I've never played them.
MY MOST HATED: The Geneforge series.

[ Sunday, June 26, 2005 10:11: Message edited by: demonslaeyr ]

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #18
I played the demos of the Exile series, but found the interface so awkward that for me at least they were rendered unplayable. Lucky for me Jeff remade them as the Avernum series, otherwise I never would've been exposed to these great stories.

I really liked BoA to begin with, but the third-party scenarios I've found to be quite disappointing. Most are glitter over substance.

[ Sunday, June 26, 2005 11:10: Message edited by: Icshi ]

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Archmagi Micael.:

WHO said that Homeland was good?
Someone registered and though it was great. Must have been MM.

Eh, I haven't played any Avernum, Geneforge, Netergate, or RW game yet, so sorry for another never played vote for BoA. :(

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #20
Miraculously, UBB can't sticky. Miraculously, this forum hasn't been converted.

--------------------
Inconsistently backward.
SWOH. IM, PATF, ND.
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #21
Finally a well-made poll! :D

Let us see about those questions...

My most played: Avernum III, as much as I have played I have slayed all monsters and now I run around bored since there are nothing more to do.

My favorite game: Ok, let me put it like this. I am going to register Blades of Exile.

My most loved: I am not sure if I loved Exile II more than BoE. E2 was my the first game I played.

My least played: All non RW-games, Exile, Avernum games. I suppose I should try the Geneforge series as soon as I manage to get my Macintosh connected.

My most hated: Realms III! Just too crude! (Realms III was created by Fantasoft, today known as Spiderweb Software. The realms serie was created before Exile I and looks similiar to Exile I, not surprisingly since it was using an older version of the game motor. Sorry for making this so long.)

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #22
Most played: Can't really say. I have played all BoA scenarios at least once, and most BoX scenarios at least once. I've played A1,2,3 and GF1,2,3 all the way through a few times. It may be GF3 due to looking for information for people.

Most loved: BoX

Favorite demo: A2

Least played: I've never played E1,2,3 or most RW games.

Least enjoyed: I played Lost Souls for about ten minutes and quit, and Ocean Bound was pretty bad.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #23
MOST PLAYED: E3.

MOST ENJOYED: E3.

LEAST PLAYED: All other games except E2.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Eagle, the author soul:

My most hated: Realms III! Just too crude! (Realms III was created by Fantasoft, today known as Spiderweb Software. The realms serie was created before Exile I and looks similiar to Exile I, not surprisingly since it was using an older version of the game motor. Sorry for making this so long.)
Fantasoft is NOT the same company as Spiderweb Software. It's a company that published and marketed Spiderweb's games early on. It still has its own website at http://www.fantasoft.com and its games still aren't very good.

[ Sunday, June 26, 2005 15:26: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!

Pages