Avernum I: The Movie

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum I: The Movie
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #0
Wouldn't it be great if they made Avernum I into a movie? I'd see it. About a thousand times. What about you? What do you peoples think?

--------------------
Ever since I met you so very long ago,
There's been something I've badly needed to know,
Do you love me and want to end my pain?
Or do I pursue your love in vain?

"And your not a doctor, but you play one in real life" -Jerry Seinfield

"My power extends far beyond space and time, do not dare oppose me, for my wrath is something to be greatly feared" -Diarog Lethuta: The Tome of Diarog Lethuta, Egypt, 5000 B.C.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
This has been brought up before (but not since the last prune, I think).

My feeling about this is sort of like my feeling about Geneforge Online: I could imagine it working and being not half-bad, but it's never going to happen. (Avernum Online, on the other hand, probably couldn't work.)

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
This has been brought up before (but not since the last prune, I think).

My feeling about this is sort of like my feeling about Geneforge Online: I could imagine it working and being not half-bad, but it's never going to happen. (Avernum Online, on the other hand, probably couldn't work.)

But what if I know somebody who could make it happen?

--------------------
Ever since I met you so very long ago,
There's been something I've badly needed to know,
Do you love me and want to end my pain?
Or do I pursue your love in vain?

"And your not a doctor, but you play one in real life" -Jerry Seinfield

"My power extends far beyond space and time, do not dare oppose me, for my wrath is something to be greatly feared" -Diarog Lethuta: The Tome of Diarog Lethuta, Egypt, 5000 B.C.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
Then you can feel free to get that person to talk with Jeff and try to make it happen. I wouldn't hold your breath, though.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #4
Wouldn't the holding of someone else's breath equate to strangling?

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #5
Yes.

On topic: Avernum 1 as a movie...I personally don't see it happening. Even if Jeff let it, it wouldn't be very good. There are too many variables involved.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
A1 has way too much wander here, kill this, grab that, talk to them for a good movie. It doesn't have any, well, plot.

—Alorael, who could certainly see an adaptation that would work. Even then, to be at all true to A1 it would be very heavy on mindless action and light on plot. Most of your Avernum time is spent up to your armpits in gore.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
*ahem*

If they can make that into a movie, Avernum would be a breeze by comparison.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #8
'Doom' as a movie? Whats next, Nethergate as a book?

Honestly, things are getting out of hand these days.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #9
... Doom would work well as a movie.

How they are doing it (ie, not Doom), does not work well, however.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #10
Doom is just not Doom without demons on Mars Base/Moon Base/Earth. And the double-barreled shotgun.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #11
I've always daydreamed about the Avernum games adapted as a television series, with one season devoted to each game, in the Babylon 5 style of story-chunks. This would allow all the quests to appear as separate episodes, ranging from 1 to 3 episodes each depending on how big the quest was. Of course, we'd have the usual "strand" quests that dip into various other quests, as well as the big ones progress steadily in each episode, climaxing in the obligatory season finale.

I for one would enjoy viewing repetitive hack-slash-grab in regularly scheduled hourly allotments every Tuesday night at 9. I find that swords and magic lends itself well to fascinating repetition, which other forms (such as chainguns or bazookas) lack. Something about the up-close and personal approach to violence appeals to me, the contact as the keen blade slices through your foe's etceteras and so forths, with thunderous destructive spells flying around and flesh being neatly seamed together with magic. Great fun, and a heckuvalot better than "reality" TV.

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #12
I actually think an adaptation of Exile could work quite well. And by 'adaptation' I mean "keep basic premise and climax, chuck just about everything else."

But then, I never registered, so for all I know you'd have to throw out the ending as well.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
Better still, we could make it into a reality TV show. Reducing the population of people who are willing to appear on reality TV shows can never be a bad thing.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #14
How about this movie:

http://www.theonion.com/2056-06-22/news/2/

(This is just satire supposed to be a newspaper from the distant future).

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #15
Dungeon Siege is going to be movie too. Link

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Warrior
Member # 5165
Profile #16
well... what if avernum was made into a movie...?? personally speaking, i would have made it into a great love story between a human & a nephil/slith... doomed to be torn apart and later brought together by their mutual love... a real MUSH!! TEAR JERKER!!!
lol ;)

--------------------
he who puts his head inside a dragon's orifice is likely to get a lot of...
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #17
Nah, none of the avernum games include a single example of an inter-species romance.

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #18
E3 does, if you play as a Slith or Nephil. That raunchy Anaximander!

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #19
Lindsay Lohan could be Rentar-Ihrno. That blonde skinny ***** is nowhere near as hot as the red-headed beauty.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #20
I wouldn't bother with an Avernum movie. As has been mentioned, the games are too open-ended and meandering to translate well to screen without alterations.

If a Fallout movie was ever made, though, I'd be there in a second.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #21
Avernum could work. You'd just have to have your party be the lead characters, and have nice little stories for each of them. Well, I'm mostly thinking A3/E3. I dunno about Avernum I. Been too long since I played it.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #22
If you cut out the majority of the wandering and a fair amount of the level-building quests and maybe half of the general stuff in A1, leaving only the setting and major plot points, it could actually sort of work. You know, it starts with a few people coming out of a portal, and then they have a conversation with Tor who describes everything, and then as they leave Fort Avernum, the camera pans out to a good shot of the larger cave area.

I mean, it could be done, but you'd have to cut a whole bunch of stuff and mix around a whole bunch of other stuff. A2 might work a little better.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #23
Problem is also how it is a number of distinct quests, rather than one all encompassing plot.

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #24
Well, of course you'd have to spend the first 30 minutes or so on the surface as our heroes are unjustly sentenced to exile. Then the central plot becomes finding a way out, and getting back at the people who sent them there. Kill anything unrelated, and you might have a chance of an okay movie.

Edit: I should say "chuck out anything unrelated". Killing unrelated stuff is exactly what the game already is. :P

[ Friday, June 24, 2005 22:09: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.

Pages