WARNING : Do Not Read EraserHead's Topic, Apology, or Hello Topics - Nasty Images

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: WARNING : Do Not Read EraserHead's Topic, Apology, or Hello Topics - Nasty Images
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #75
You said f'ing ******. Djur, on the other hand, got banned for fagot- one g.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #76
Did I actually use the f word?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #77
Image spam is not okay.

Cursing is not okay.

Insulting members is not okay.

Inappropriate posts are not okay.

You've been warned, and now you're Canned. Consider anything further grounds for a temporary ban.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #78
TM, face the facts. You posts are often characterized by rather inappropriate uses of the "*" or even cleverly constucted ways to post swear words without them getting blocked. And newbies would probably be canned just for that.

Also, many of your posts a while back have contained references to sexual activity of various sorts that had nothing at all to do with the topic on hand and was completely unnecessary and degrading to the forum experience.

[ Wednesday, June 08, 2005 14:07: Message edited by: BF7 ]

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #79
Actually, if TM weren't the oldbie he is now, he would've been banned already.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #80
Nobody dies of old age; eventually it is the only thing that keeps you alive. It's just starting to work early for TM.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #81
I am now unfortunate enough to know what those pictures were about. I read the Wikipedia entry. I feel so much older now (what's the expression?): A part of my childhood has died (or something like that).

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #82
If you spent your childhood thinking goatse was something harmless and innocent, perhaps it's best that you were disabused of such notions sooner rather than later.

If, as seems more probable, you spent your childhood not knowing what goatse was, there wasn't really anything there beforehand to die, was there?

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #83
quote:
Originally written by Dervish Malachai:

I may as well try to copulate with the moon.
:D

Completely aside from Blades scenarios, Spiderweb would be a lot poorer without you two and your bickering. :)

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #84
Here in fact is a tremendously profound problem. It is part of what is known in AI as the 'frame problem'.

As a child, Upright Stranger did not think that goatse existed. In effect this was an implicit belief that goatse did not exist. It is this implicit belief which recently died.

The profundity of the frame problem lies in the difficulty of explaining just what is meant by that 'in effect'. In trying to build an artificial intelligence, one apparently faces the insurmountable task of specifying the enormous body of information which humans carry around as implicit belief. This is clearly impossible, yet human intelligence cannot be qualitatively different from artificial intelligence (so the assumption goes), so presumably there is a workaround, and humans have found it.

One theory is that the workaround is a system of default reasoning -- an algorithm for generating default answers to any question, without even anticipating what kinds of questions might be asked. Thus we are to suppose that Upright Stranger held no explicit childhood beliefs about goatse, but did hold a default reasoning algorithm which would have supplied the answer No if 'Does goatse exist?' had ever arisen as a question.

This seems a very fair model for implicit knowledge, at least to me. But unfortunately there seem to be grave and surprising difficulties in defining such default reasoning algorithms. Here, however, we approach the very modest limits of my own knowledge about this issue. To discuss it much further, I would have to invoke default reasoning myself.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #85
quote:
Originally written by ATTN:
:
quote:
Originally written by Dervish Malachai:

I may as well try to copulate with the moon.
:D

Completely aside from Blades scenarios, Spiderweb would be a lot poorer without you two and your bickering. :)

I beg to differ: it's his bickering with me. If both of us were bickering with each other, I would've replied, "I wouldn't put it past you to try that."

EDIT: SoT, I think the "default reasoning" at work here was simply that he believed that most things in existence are more or less decent unless he was specifically prepared for an exception (which is childlike optimism), which would preclude the existence of goatse.

[ Thursday, June 09, 2005 09:07: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #86
Is it me, or do I always start the popular threads? I must be the coolest.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #87
Here - you need one of these:

IMAGE(http://www.cambiaip.org/cambiaIP/Newsletters/news_img/Pat_on_the_back_apparatus.gif)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #88
It's also quite possible that many would or could not, without prompting, conceive of goatse. Some people are simply not naturally equipped with sufficient perversity to envision such a thing without any prior experience.

—Alorael, who finds it perfectly reasonable that a default algorithm would presuppose the nonexistence of anything not empirically or at least circumstancially demonstrated. Childhood is all about assembling a functional collection of empirical assumptions. (Incidentally, one could easily go through one's entire life without ever having to accept goatse into one's assumptive realm, and one would most likely be happier doing so.)
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #89
quote:
Originally written by BF7:

TM, face the facts.
Sorry, I can't hear you- you've got a cornucopia in your larynx.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #90
The funny thing about default reasoning is that it seems to be quite hard to get it to work reliably. The classic example of this problem was noticed in a candidate model that basically assumed you should minimize the number of 'unusual' things that you expect to happen. (It was, of course, more formal than that; but that's the gist of it, and anyway it's all I remember of it.) Sounds like a promising approach to me. The nub is obviously defining 'unusual', but you can at least get started by saying that any kind of change is by default unusual.

Then some folks at Yale (okay, Yale does have its moments) noticed the following.

Suppose your situation is that there is a victim to be shot, you have a thing called a gun, and your options for action are load, unload, wait, and shoot.
The idea is to use default reasoning to anticipate whether the victim will die as a result of your actions, without having to explain anything about how guns work. It turned out to be pretty easy to get default reasoning to conclude that if you do Load, then Shoot, the victim ends up dead, but survives if you try Load, Unload, Shoot. But what if you do Load, then Wait, then Shoot? The 'minimize anomalies' scheme turned out to be just as happy to conclude that the victim would be fine after this, because it was no more anomalous for the gun to spontaneously unload while you waited, than for the victim to die.

This is called the "Yale Shooting Problem", and I understand that it is quite a bad problem. Essentially the YSP shows that default reasoning runs into problems even before you have to deal with actual events: DR has a hard enough time just being right about what it means for nothing to happen.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #91
I think MM needs to re-name this topic. This has nothing to do with Eraserhead anymore. Don't think it has for a couple of pages now, to be honest.

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #92
If you started renaming all wandering topics to match their content, their names would be a paragraph long. Besides, some name-content combinations can be quite amuzing. For example, I find it very ironic that my welcomes are located in the thread with word "sex" in its name. :)

[ Thursday, June 09, 2005 12:57: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #93
Given that 'sex' in that context was (obviously) referring to gender and not the act of intercourse, I'm not sure if I want to speculate on why that might be ironic.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #94
I've rarely heard the word "sex" in the sence of "gender". A question "what's your gender" would be unambiguous. A question "what's your sex" sounds to me like a question about details of people's sexual lives.

EDIT: I am aware of what the thread actually discusses. However, just reading its title makes it sound to me like the thread would talk about a lot more explicit material than just gender.

[ Thursday, June 09, 2005 13:40: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #95
I suppose it's a matter of perception. I figured it was referring to gender, but I would assume if someone wanted to know, they would just ask, “What are your sexual preferences”.

I've often seen applications or forms use the word “sex” when asking one's gender.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #96
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

I've rarely heard the word "sex" in the sence of "gender". A question "what's your gender" would be unambiguous. A question "what's your sex" sounds to me like a question about details of people's sexual lives.
Sex refers to biology; gender to psychology. There are cases where the two aren't identical. One can argue about which is the better question to use in a poll, but don't conflate the two.

(This is also why the term "gender reassignment surgery" used to refer to "sex-change" operations is simply wrong; the surgery is actually an attempt at changing sexual characteristics to match the patient's gender.)

[ Thursday, June 09, 2005 15:25: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #97
quote:
Originally written by Archmagi Micael:

I think MM needs to re-name this topic. This has nothing to do with Eraserhead anymore. Don't think it has for a couple of pages now, to be honest.

- Archmagi Micael

Er, I don't think any topic should be renamed. As the current topic of discussion progressed past the topic of interest indicated by the topic name, we start to associate the topic name with whatever the new topic of discussion is. For example, the topic about TM's monikers could be anything. :P Well, lame example, whatever.

Oh, and in the context it was used, the word "sex" refers to you being either a male of a female. Now, if it were something like "What's your sex partner," it would be different.

Er, back on topic.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #98
quote:
Originally written by BF7:

Er, back on topic.
No. EraserHead is the topic, and he should be forgotten until it is neccisary to remember the worst spiderweb spammers.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #99
He is forgotten in the thread that bears his name. So mote it be!

--------------------

Pages