The single most annoying part of (Spidweb) RPGs

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The single most annoying part of (Spidweb) RPGs
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Ew. Sounds like Stranger's Quest.

That's a bad scenario, by the way. Since you don't seem able to tell. :P

Yea, I was way too excited about it, but it was one of the first ones I played and it was the first 'good' one I played so after the horrible stuff I had started with it seemed like a 9 at the time. I'll probably go back and change my rating someday...

And cghauss, as far as I know you are only encumbered by the armor you have equipped, not by everything you are carring. It's why when I want my mostly priest to cast a mage spell or two I have him unequip his shield during battle.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

tracihedlund@charter.net[/url]
TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Gizmo:

And cghauss, as far as I know you are only encumbered by the armor you have equipped, not by everything you are carring. It's why when I want my mostly priest to cast a mage spell or two I have him unequip his shield during battle.
That's true in the Exiles and Avernums, but in the Geneforges encumbrance is based on total weight being carried.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #29
Which seems right. After all, wouldn't a suit of armor be less encumbering if you were wearing it rather than packing it around?

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #30
But, as has been said before, if you're gonna start fighting common sense says 'put down the backpack first'. I suppose it would be more realistic to actually have to take a movement point to drop anything in your inventory but then I would agree with cfgauss that it's very annoying.

[ Friday, May 06, 2005 09:44: Message edited by: Gizmo ]

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 4404
Profile Homepage #31
A wagon with limited room but not limited weight could be nice.

It's never bothered me much, if I need cash I just run off to some Empire dungeon or something similiar and grab a bunch of crap and go sell it.

Spells is expensive.

--------------------
People says Microsoft paid 14 million dollars for using the Rolling Stones song "Start me up" in their commercials. This is wrong. Microsoft paid 14 million dollars only for a part of the song. For instance, they didn't use the line "You'll make a grown man cry".
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #32
Ben, equipped items ARE carried items.
Furthermore, the armor is MORE encumbring when worn- hence the to hit penalties. (Plate mail is, IIRC, -40%)

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 4404
Profile Homepage #33
Defense vs. Combat Penalty is always a struggle.

--------------------
People says Microsoft paid 14 million dollars for using the Rolling Stones song "Start me up" in their commercials. This is wrong. Microsoft paid 14 million dollars only for a part of the song. For instance, they didn't use the line "You'll make a grown man cry".
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
Originally written by TM:

Ben, equipped items ARE carried items.
Furthermore, the armor is MORE encumbring when worn- hence the to hit penalties. (Plate mail is, IIRC, -40%)

But not all carried items are equipped. I think Ben's statement was reflecting that in reality fighting while carring a stray suit of armor under your arm or in a pack on your back would be harder to do then fightning while wearing that armor.

--------------------

By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #35
I think that encumbrance, while perhaps realistic, ultimately takes away from the fun factor in games. While I think that JV has struck a good balance between reality and fun in BoA, I think he missed the mark in Geneforge 3. Most frustrating is that characters with lower strengths become unable to do anything if they are even moderately encumbered.

In BoA, at least you can carry out an action if you have even one AP. That Geneforge isn't structured similarly is beyond frustrating, especially since any number of the enormous humanoid creations you control (not to mention your NPCs) can't carry anything you find. I don't think that changing this would be all that game breaking - at most, it would give shapers a chance to act at all.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #36
It makes the game more balanced, though, which is a good thing.

What Gizmo said I meant was right. Maybe there should be a drug like skribbane that increases your strength and gives you more inventory slots. :P

This problem can be combatted, however, by just picking up things of value and not every stray pair of pants laying around.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #37
Well realistically your character shouldn't be able to carry 4 suits of armor, while fighting with a sword and shield at the same time.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #38
quote:
Well realistically your character shouldn't be able to carry 4 suits of armor, while fighting with a sword and shield at the same time.
Unless they learn that they can set things on the ground for a minute...

--------------------
I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation.
- George Bernard Shaw
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #39
[quote=cfgauss]
[QB]
quote:
Of course they wouldn't! They should of been distributed evenly amongst the group.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #40
Oops too much geneforge! Still how realistic is it that if your characters are supposedly strong enough they can carry like 10 suits of armor plus all manner of other nick nacks? Do they travel with a wagon? Or perhaps they have more than two arms. I doubt actual warriors would ever pick up more than the most valuable items. " Gerald make sure you pick up those mugs" "Why?" " Because, They're worth 2 coins a piece" "Score!"

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #41
Which is why Jeff exaggerated your carrying abilities so you shouldn't have so much of a problem with not finding places to put all your suits of armor. :P

But you also must remember that none of Jeff's games are advanced enough that detailed handling of items would fit right in.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Apprentice
Member # 5803
Profile #42
OKay, I just saw this post - Just gotta say something... Isnt THAT the point...? To collect stuff? Otherwise - you would be breezing thru the game clocking up cash, it would be to easy! Just a newbies thought...

--------------------
--..--The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth--..--
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #43
I don't have a problem going back several times for items, as the coins are needed for spells and equipment. After a while I leave the less valuable items behind. It would take too much time to bring everything back. Though looting the place after the battle is part of the fun :P

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Warrior
Member # 380
Profile Homepage #44
Heh. People. I must say that I rarely have a problem with inventory management, however the people in this forum amuse me. Make a game too player friendly and people complain about how unrealistic it is. Make a game too realistic and people complain about hard it is. Real life IS hard. Games are meant to be enjoyed. Get used to it.

By the way, how much realism can you get in a game with giant talking spiders?

--------------------
Before they send us, to the grave, Alien Beasts, use Burma Shave!
Alien Beasts shave?

We're all heroes! Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice! Wait.... wrong game.
Posts: 154 | Registered: Wednesday, December 12 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #45
quote:
Originally written by Aurora:

I don't have a problem going back several times for items, as the coins are needed for spells and equipment. After a while I leave the less valuable items behind. It would take too much time to bring everything back. Though looting the place after the battle is part of the fun :P
Yeah, well, the most trouble you'd have if there's some valuable suit of armor, but it weighs 150 and everybody is close to max weight. As soon as you leave the dungeon, monster-dropped items disappear, so you can't snatch them up in multiple trips.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #46
In BoA items in dungeons remain there until removed. Geneforge and the Avernum trilogy are the same way. BoE wont run on my computer, it keeps crashing, so I don't know how that works.

In the case of not being able to go back (like in outdoor combat) I would drop some heavier items that are worth less than a total of 150 (the value of said item). It ends up that one has to be more selective about what to take. But even that isn't such a big deal, as it doesn't take long to figure out what isn't worth carrying.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5803
Profile #47
""By the way, how much realism can you get in a game with giant talking spiders?""

he he he he he he he - exactly... Its a game!

--------------------
--..--The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth--..--

Pages