The single most annoying part of (Spidweb) RPGs

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The single most annoying part of (Spidweb) RPGs
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #0
The treasure items scattered around the dungeons. Gathering it all and carting it back to town in separate loads, possibly after clearing it of monsters so you are not weighed down. Incredibly boring/frustrating. Sure, you could play without the treasure, but it is your main source of money, a very important element. Geneforge (3) has made an advance: a big, practically unlimited, inventory, with the penalty that you can't personally fight when carrying tons of treasure. Still leads to gathering all treasure after having killed all enemies in area, or not bothering because it's still too inconvenient to "get all items of value in the vicinity".

Potential solutions:
1) Instant, automatic liquefication (turning to money) of all valubles in the vicinity. Trouble is, then the player never gets to see them.

2) No concept of money in the game. Very minor hindrance to plot/party advancement. Still requires going to pick-up screen all the time to check for better equipment.

3) No items at all. Probably much too drastic. Though I've never been impressed with the enjoyability of the Spiderweb equipment systems. You mostly get the best equipment available and possibly waste a bunch of time fussing over which is better. Much worse with more characters to possibly receive the equipment. Another advantage is not needing to search every little chest in case it contains a really great item. However, I get the feeling this is something of a theme with their games, fitting into the same theme as having secret passages everywhere (but then, not in Geneforge). I find fiddling with items and stats to very much impair my ability to actually role-play, making me just try to get a powerful character.

This brings me to an interesting point: so-called Role-Playing Games are really quite a mishmash of tactics, morals, puzzles, patience, etc.

Geneforge 3 is getting decent though: I'm trying it with an Agent who fights as little as possible, getting no combat-oriented skills (which includes magic, though possibly not the Mental variety) and no creations, and mostly ignores the items lying around. This character utilizes Leadership, Mechanics, etc, and mostly just runs on past the enemies, a nicely effective strategy. I haven't had time to get very far with it yet, though.

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
That's never bothered me, and I don't much like GF's solution to it. Just personal preferences, I suppose.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #2
Play BoE. Most scenarios don't suffer from this problem.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #3
I guess I'm the only one, but I never have problems with inventory load.

I hear (read) stories all the time about people who apparently pick up every item they find. I can understand this at the early stages, since you are barely scraping up enough money to get by. But mid- the late-game, that's just ridiculous. You don't need to do that to be successful in your money-gathering venue.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #4
Exactly you don't need every item. Oh and the endless BOE pimping is getting so old. ;)

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Why not just pretend you already won? Then you don't have to play the game at all.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
Well, having said that, there's a distinction between challenge and tedium. But at least Avernum and Geneforge handle dropped items better than Exile, where anything you left behind in most places was lost forever.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #9
I have a problem with carrying too much stuff, too. I mean, who knows when you're going to need that cool thing you just picked up? Particularly in the beginning, and when you need money. You should at least be able to buy a backpack or something that increases how much you can carry. But what I actually find more of a problem with limiting the number of items, and not so much with the weight. I end up with things like spellcasters who are carrying hardly anything weight wise, but can't actually carry another scroll or wand or potion because they have too many things. That can make things annoying sometimes.

--------------------
I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation.
- George Bernard Shaw
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #10
My pet peeve in BoE is the money cap (and the bug that goes along with it). I enjoy picking up everything I can get away with taking to sell but once you hit 30000 the 'excess' is dropped and if you go too far over when in a selling spree it turns to a negative number which really sucks. What does Jeff have against being outrageously wealthy anyway?

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

tracihedlund@charter.net[/url]
TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #11
That bug does suck, but on the other hand, when are you ever going to need more than 30000 gold anyway?

I prefer having to scrape.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #12
Well, never in BoE, really. In BoA, though, you surely have to have bankrupted yourself buying spells before...
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #13
Who ever said that adventuring etc was easy? This just adds the boring, time-wasting side of work into the game. I needs it, or you just fry your brains with too much combat, or too much brain teasers!

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #14
In Exile, I've found that its not a problem. I don't really find enough items anyway, but around day 100 my party seems to be laden down with useless items. But Imban is partly right: you could bankrypt yourself buying spells, but on Exile there are only certain amounts of spells in one place. You buy them, then have to go somewhere else to get more. On the way you can collect gold by doing obb jobs, or killing brigands. My preference is the brigands. :D

[ Wednesday, May 04, 2005 12:22: Message edited by: Sprung Spring ]

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Archmagi Micael:

Who ever said that adventuring etc was easy? This just adds the boring, time-wasting side of work into the game. I needs it, or you just fry your brains with too much combat, or too much brain teasers!

Or too much plot and enjoyment!

EDIT: By way of actual contribution, I wish my characters could just carry everything and have done with it. Inventory management is, in general, my least favorite part of RPGing.

[ Wednesday, May 04, 2005 12:33: Message edited by: PoD person ]
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #16
...But it can be strategic. I say keep anything you have equipped and any useful potions or stuff and then just keep the stuff you don't immediately need but don't want to sell in any available item storage rectangle.

Also if you keep moving along in the game about as rapidly as you can, you will have less trouble with getting too much money. However, it becomes more of a problem when you go around exploring every square of the map and fighting a bunch of easy goblins with your level 24 party.

[ Wednesday, May 04, 2005 16:50: Message edited by: 1001011001000 ]

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #17
Here's a good one: trash and other useless crap put in the game to make it realistic. How realistic can they be? They can't compete with up and running games today with poor graphics. I don't think anyone cares about this 'useless crap'. And they respawn. Thats pretty gay. At least for exile. Avernum is better. Geneforge sucks. Respawning monsters are good, not items.

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #18
Well, as long as there are people there, trash will respawn.

I think it's a nice touch.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
I'm also a fan of the random useless things strewn throughout Spiderweb games. Just because the games don't look like the latest overpriced offering from a bigger company doesn't mean there shouldn't be any nod to realism.

—Alorael, who will thank you kindly for obeying the CoC and not using homophobic language. The alternative is neither thankful nor kind.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #20
The trash is okay, but there's a disturbingly large number of limbs lying around.

Of course, considering what your own party leaves in its wake, it probably isn't that surprising.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #21
I like the random atmosphere items. I mean, nothing beats running around beating things up with a kitchen knife!

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

That bug does suck, but on the other hand, when are you ever going to need more than 30000 gold anyway?

I prefer having to scrape.

It depends on the scenario. The name is excaping me for the moment but a remember a scenario with a ton of special items that cost 25000 each. I'm pretty sure it was the one that I made such a big deal about rating it a 9 because it was a challenge for my god party. Most items were in a Vahaniti town that went hostile on you once you talked to the leader. Anyways, I could only buy one supercool item at a time before I had to run out and kill an uber amount of monsters to get my gold back up. I finally gave in and started cheating, pimping out my god party with the best stuff I've come across yet. It's an extreme example but it's not unheard of. I remember once while playing E3 I ran into the guy who sells magic items along the road. There were three things I wanted but I could only get one because I didn't have enough money even though I had the max amount I could carry.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

tracihedlund@charter.net[/url]
TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Apprentice
Member # 5782
Profile #23
The issue with NOT being able to cart everything out of a place adds to the realisim as well. I don't expect to go into a place, load everything up and then hike off with it to sell.

And as far as the idea of turning everything into money automatically? yeah, because that happens all the time.

It is the little things and the attention to detail that has drawn me to Spiderwebs games. Sure, I went out and got God of War the day it was released, but I have enjoyed Geneforge 3 as much if not more because it is so engrossing and wonderfully fun to play.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Gizmo:

It depends on the scenario. The name is excaping me for the moment but a remember a scenario with a ton of special items that cost 25000 each. I'm pretty sure it was the one that I made such a big deal about rating it a 9 because it was a challenge for my god party. Most items were in a Vahaniti town that went hostile on you once you talked to the leader. Anyways, I could only buy one supercool item at a time before I had to run out and kill an uber amount of monsters to get my gold back up. I finally gave in and started cheating, pimping out my god party with the best stuff I've come across yet. It's an extreme example but it's not unheard of. I remember once while playing E3 I ran into the guy who sells magic items along the road. There were three things I wanted but I could only get one because I didn't have enough money even though I had the max amount I could carry.
Ew. Sounds like Stranger's Quest.

That's a bad scenario, by the way. Since you don't seem able to tell. :P

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #25
thats just personal preferences and not that many people would agree with you. i think its kind of realistic

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #26
What's wrong with carrying a wheelbarrow or wagon or something out of a dungeon filled with loot? It seems to me like that'd be the obvious thing to do. Or send someone back to a town to hire a guy with a horse and cart to come bring everyting back to town to sell! Or just to make it easy, a spell to turn stuff to gold would do fine. You can't tell me the great X in the tower of Magi can't come up with a spell so simple as that!

I also don't like being encumbered based on how much I'm carrying (as opposed to how much I have on me, as in armor, boots, etc). It seems to me, that if someone starts attacking me, I'm going to set my bag full of extra plates of armor and swords down instead of carrying it with me. Then again, maybe I could just hit the attacker with the bag...

--------------------
I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation.
- George Bernard Shaw

Pages