99% of all Statistics are made up.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: 99% of all Statistics are made up.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #100
quote:
Originally written by This Glass Is Half Stugie:

If you're feeling emotionally neutral, alcohol is probably going to push you in one direction or the other. If you drink while in an angry mood, you'll be liable to fly off the handle and harm yourself or others. If you're with a girl and feeling horny, you're liable to start making overt advances on her once you've got a bit in you. If you're depressed about something or the other, you'll think about it even more once you're drunk, and you'll just be miserable. If you're the excitable type, you might become ridiculously hyper after you've had a few drinks. And if you're in a good mood while drinking, you're likely to have a grand time.
Hallucinogens, I'm led to believe, are even more dramatic in this respect, although taking them whilst in a good mood can lead to unfortunate consequences such as attempting to fly.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #101
That's why it's better to do those types of things with friends rather than alone. Not that I have ever tried hallucinogens. I saw someone have a really bad trip once and decided it was better avoided.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #102
Hallucinogens are tricky things. As has been pointed out it's a good idea to have a neautral observe in the place if one's going to partake in such an activity. And, needless to say, the observer should be someone of immense trust. Trips are of all colors and tastes and there's little to no way of predicting how it will turn out. One may be in a good mood and the trip be bad, or vice versa, or one can simply have a neutral trip where the only thing that happened was a funky change in perceptions (say, for instance, feeling that the ground one is walking in is not solid, but more like walking over one of those inflatable things at kids' parties)

That said, it also depends on the hallucinogen as some are rather stronger than others. An LSD trip may last a few hours, however some fungi offer trips that last well into the twelve hours radius. There's a fungi that grows in a part of the country that can give you a twenty four hours trip (well, almost that amount, it's rather potent!).

I'm a rather docile drunk (and I become even more of a chatterbox), I've never tried to get into a fight with anybody (which is also true in real life, at least since my early teens).

Over here drinking is quite natural, and getting drunk is also rather natural. Women and men drink to the same extend and it's actually a bit of a faux pax if someone doesn't drink. Once one is known company, it doesn't matter. In fact people who don't drink at all are few and far between and they usually have some kind of excuse: religion, they're recovering alcoholics. A friend of mine tells people he doesn't know too well that he is taking a medication that doesn't mix well with alcohol. The funny thing is that if you only order a light beer and you nurse it throughout the night, then there's no problem. It's all rather ridiculous!

We don't have traffic cops (so to speak) so there's little to no chance that someone is going to be stopped while driving drunk. People here often criticize the U.S. because the cities/towns where they've been don't have places that open after midnight where they can go and drink. So, yeah, this is a highly drunk society. Might explain some of the stupid choices we've made in the last 40 years regarding governments, etc.

As for alcohol and women/men relations. It's a bit of a tighrope: if I go with a woman for the first time (it will be to a bar or a disco), then we'll both be drinking. If I drink and she doesn't it's all right (it's expected that the guy will drink) but if she drinks and I don't then it can be a bit embarassing for her (she may end up not drinking if she's interested in her image or throw caution to the wind). In theory both persons are only drinking to get lit, not to get drunk (as one gentleman once told me: sex with alcohol is like a thirsty horse (I never understood that one and he never explained)).

Then there is social drinking: just a bunch of friends hanguing around (usually with a group playing domino) and chatting/drinking. Alcohol is in bountiful quantities (usually there will be an "empty" (which is a box of 24 bottles of beer) or two and a bottle or two of some heavier beverage (rum, maybe, whiskey if one's lucky)) and it's just ingested as the evening fades away.

I enjoy the taste of many alcholic beverages, so I like to drink. I do, for the most part, take care of not going overboard. If I do, I just crash in whatever place I'm in or simply let it evanesce away.

Then there are the tricks to be able to hold more alcohol inside: an empty stomach is a bad idea. My dad, many, many years ago told me to drink a glass of milk before drinking alcohol. I don't know if that's bogus or not but I've been doing it every chance I've got ever since.

There are also the drinking tricks. My favorite is this: get a bottle of beer, a straw and a lighter (matches work as well). Insert the straw inside the bottle and bend the part of the straw that is outside over the border of the bottle. Take the straw out. Light the lighter and gently apply the flame to the bent part, just a bit. Then put the bent straw back in the bottle and drink the whole thing in one gulp. You can skip the flaming part and just hold the bent straw with your hand. As silly as this sounds the straw does help the beer go down faster (or maybe one just fools oneself into believing that!)

(in closing, another bad habit we've got down here is that many people smoke, and a good number of those are social smokers--> conversation + alcohol + cigs tend to go hand in hand here.)

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #103
quote:
Hallucinogens, I'm led to believe, are even more dramatic in this respect, although taking them whilst in a good mood can lead to unfortunate consequences such as attempting to fly.

For me at least, being drunk and being on hullucinogens are dramatically different. The former simply brings out happiness in me (as well as making me very clumsy), while the latter doesn't have much of an impact on my emotional state, just on my mental state. Maybe it varies from person to person.

The hang ups some people seem to have about drinking here I find hard to relate to. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason a binge drinking culture has emerged in the English speaking world (possibly excluding Australia - I don't know much about the drinking culture over there) is because of people starting drinking in large amounts when they're fourteen or fifteen rather than have a glass of wine with their parents over a meal when they're a little younger (as is the practice in continental Europe).

Of course there are some people who shouldn't drink. If you have a history of alcoholism in your family then it's probably not a good idea (though you should probably do it at least once to see how you react), nor is it a good idea if you tend to be a violent drunk. Those sorts of people are in the vast, vast minority though.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #104
quote:
Drinking for me is often a very liberating experience, as all the little annoying complexes and insecurities fade away and I feel simple and free, and more like the man I've always wanted to be. I'd like to think that it works in much the same way with women.
I would see this as a handicap. Instead of resorting to chemically altering your state of mind, you should be teaching yourself how to get over your insecurities while sober.

I say it will be harder to find true love because one can't expect to be drunk all the time. If a woman only chooses to be with you when drunk, she will probably question her decisions when she is sober. But if she chooses to be with you when sober, she will be more confident that the decisions she has made were the right ones and imo any following relationship would be much healthier.

Edit: Plus she will remember much better the 'good' times she has had with you, which I would always see as a benefit.

[ Sunday, April 24, 2005 09:49: Message edited by: Jewels of the Forest ]

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #105
quote:
Originally written by Jewels of the Forest:

I would see this as a handicap. Instead of resorting to chemically altering your state of mind, you should be teaching yourself how to get over your insecurities while sober.
Believe me, if I possessed anything even resembling an independent will, I would do so posthaste. As it is, such adjustments remain quite impossible.

quote:
I say it will be harder to find true love because one can't expect to be drunk all the time. If a woman only chooses to be with you when drunk, she will probably question her decisions when she is sober. But if she chooses to be with you when sober, she will be more confident that the decisions she has made were the right ones and imo any following relationship would be much healthier.

Edit: Plus she will remember much better the 'good' times she has had with you, which I would always see as a benefit.
You're right, of course. I've made a major effort to remain sober in my dealings with women that I consider relationship prospects. For example, I asked out a girl a couple weeks ago, but rather than drinking beforehand to strengthen my resolve, I enlisted the aid of an army of pals to give me encouragement. As I've always been rather susceptible to peer pressure, it all worked out rather nicely.

On the other hand, I'm perfectly willing to get drunk at parties and make out with women I'll likely never see again. It's just a simple matter of keeping my sober and drunk lives separate and distinct.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #106
quote:
Originally written by This Glass Is Half Stugie:

On the other hand, I'm perfectly willing to get drunk at parties and make out with women I'll likely never see again. It's just a simple matter of keeping my sober and drunk lives separate and distinct.
Quite easily accomplished at a campus the size of Urbana-Champaign, perhaps, but a different story altogether at my 1200-student undergrad, Lawrence University - it was definitely easy to cultivate a reputation. :D

The worst, I think, is when you want to get a good buzz going and can't find enough alcohol to do so. In that situation, I've found myself wishing I hadn't started drinking to begin with.

Pages