Ahhh...School

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Ahhh...School
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #0
Who else returned to school today? School is such a bore. Whats worse is that I had maths, science, english and french...not good.

[ Sunday, April 17, 2005 21:56: Message edited by: Sprung Spring ]

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Warrior
Member # 5274
Profile #1
Yeah I know we just started today too

--------------------
I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me
Apprentice
Member # 5564
Profile #2
I am currently enjoying a week's vacation off of school. I don't go back till next monday.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #3
Cherish it now - once you start working in the "real world," you'll get two or three weeks of vacation a year, tops.
Apprentice
Member # 5721
Profile #4
You also have the option to do something you enjoy in this... "real world" you speak of, so there isn't as much of a need for vacation. ;)
Warrior
Member # 5701
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by andrew miller:

Cherish it now - once you start working in the "real world," you'll get two or three weeks of vacation a year, tops.
Heh, true indeed!
Looking back, life just seemed so much simpler back during the school and university days!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
The last time I've seen a vacation was in March, thank you (apart from a four day weekend on Easter). And I've already spent 3 days of my allotted vacation time on dentist appointments this month. :rolleyes:

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #7
quote:

Professions, at least, are purposeful, unlike studying useless subjects.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #8
Rest assured, many things people find to do professionally are as useless, if not more so, as what you learn about in school.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by YeahThatGuy:

You also have the option to do something you enjoy in this... "real world" you speak of, so there isn't as much of a need for vacation.
Indeed.

quote:
Originally written by Mind:

Professions, at least, are purposeful, unlike studying useless subjects.
Again, indeed. Although I agree with andrew miller - some of them aren't. Oh well. ;)

--------------------
Polaris-- New location.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #10
I disagree. School was mind-bogglingly easy in comparison to having to work eight hour days, and as the saying goes, "not everyone can be an astronaut." While it's certainly nice not having to worry about homework anymore, the lack of vacation (I get two weeks out of fifty-two a year) and ability to experience the daylight hours is a much bigger drag.

Oh, if only I had it all to do over again...

Is there anyone here who has a full-time job that finds it totally fulfilling and easier than school was?
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #11
Stay-at-home mother of four... school was still easier. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

tracihedlund@charter.net[/url]
TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #12
I plan on going into academia. Math research for me.

+ It's fun.
+ I'd get school vacations.
+ I can work from bed.
+ Eventually I get tenure.

Sounds good to me. :D

--------------------
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #13
I had an Economics exam this morning. Seeing how I've never actually gone to the (utterly useless) lecture for about four months, I actually did well.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #14
The problem with academic careers is that there are only so many universities and research labs in the world, and they are basically all fully staffed. It is rare for a new one to be founded. Furthermore, a lot of other people also like the idea of getting paid, with job security, to think about interesting things. So the job market is extremely tight.

On top of this, academic work is very specialized, so that you can usually only hope to compete for a job that precisely fits your specialty. The result is that in many academic fields, it's a good year when there is a job opening.

In the world.

[ Monday, April 18, 2005 14:20: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #15
yep, i came back from my vacation too

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #16
Yeah, I guess that's true. Well, I can still carry out that plan while I'm getting my MA and PhD. Then, by that time, I'll have proved Riemann's Hypothesis and all the universities will want me.

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #17
quote:

I disagree. School was mind-bogglingly easy in comparison to having to work eight hour days, and as the saying goes, "not everyone can be an astronaut." While it's certainly nice not having to worry about homework anymore, the lack of vacation (I get two weeks out of fifty-two a year) and ability to experience the daylight hours is a much bigger drag.

Oh, if only I had it all to do over again...

Is there anyone here who has a full-time job that finds it totally fulfilling and easier than school was?

*puts hand up*

Hated school. Love my job.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Mind:

quote:

TOTALLY GOING TO WRITE THIS DOWN IN MY DEADJOURNAL AFTER I'M DONE CRYING (WHICH MIGHT BE A WHILE)

FYT

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #19
If you prove the Riemann Hypothesis, you will indeed have no academic career troubles.

But there are lots of other careers, many both lucrative and fulfilling, that are a lot easier than that to get into.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #20
I've got a month until Summer Vacation begins. Have fun in school, guys.

Actually, it isn't that bad. Just think; you're learning a bunch of stuff every day. Isn't that what makes your life worth living?

[ Monday, April 18, 2005 17:20: Message edited by: 1001011001000 ]

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #21
I have a feeling that I'd cope quite a bit better with a structured, 9 to 5 job than I currently am in college. I've only ever been able to get meaningful work done while surrounded by a solid external structure, which explains why I sailed through high school under the guidance of my parents but regularly manage to fail relatively easy classes in college. I've never had much motivation for learning or much enthusiasm for most forms of work, though, so I'd vastly prefer just bumming around, drinking and hanging with pals to any sort of productive existence.

As it's rather difficult to get by without an income, unfortunately, I plan to be a zookeeper.

[ Monday, April 18, 2005 20:06: Message edited by: This Glass Is Half Stugie ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by 1001011001000:

Actually, it isn't that bad. Just think; you're learning a bunch of stuff every day. Isn't that what makes your life worth living?

Your right, it is fun sometimes. I guess school being boring is a cliche, kind of like having sexual relations with some-ones mother.

--------------------
Polaris-- New location.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
But there's nothing boring about that.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Wise Man is quite the:

I had an Economics exam this morning. Seeing how I've never actually gone to the (utterly useless) lecture for about four months, I actually did well.
Economics was useless when I was in highschool. The teacher talked about his pet turtle during most of the class time, and we prepared for the tests pretty much by sleeping with the textbook under our pillows (okay, there was a *little* revising).

Iirc, he spent the exam nervously walking between the aisles, doing his best to restrain himself from helping us. Some people had a bet running on how many answers they could manipulate him into giving them. It was a lot. :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik

Pages