Sony Patents "real" Matrix

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Sony Patents "real" Matrix
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #0
i found this at dailygadget.com
Sony Patents "real" Matrix

Sony has patented a way for transmitting data directly into the brain, with the goal of enabling a person to see movies and play video games in which they smell, taste and perhaps even feel things. There are two patents that have been filed, one in 2000 and another in 2003 and can be viewed below.

In Sony's patent, the technique would be entirely non-invasive - it would not use brain implants or other surgery to manipulate the brain. The patent has few details, describing only a device that would fire pulses of acoustical energy at the head to modify the firing patterns of neurons in targeted parts of the brain.

The patent can be read here
web page
There are actually two patents, but since they are both about the same, I included only one link. The original article is here.
http://www.dailygadget.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31384#post31384

[ Friday, April 08, 2005 17:44: Message edited by: EviL_TiM ]

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #1
That sounds very interesting but I would not want to be the guinie pig they test it on.

Would you mind shortening your displayed link name? It stretches the page.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

tracihedlund@charter.net[/url]
TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #2
This could very well be a two sided sword. It could revolutionize video game playing among other things, but it's not too far off from mind control.

--------------------
*Blue screen error*
NONEXISTANT WINDOWS ERROR
Windows detects no current errors, so Windows has decided
to screw around with the files until one occurs.

If you never rise against your oppressor, then you've already lost.
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Warrior
Member # 126
Profile Homepage #3
Perfect! Now all they have to do is finish building that invincible battle-armor they've been working on so they can plug somebody's brain (preferably mine) into it.

--------------------
XXXIII
Not hear? When noise was everywhere! it tolled
Increasing like a bell. Names in my ears
Of all the lost adventurers, my peers -
How such a one was strong, and such was bold,
And such was fortunate, yet each of old
Lost, lost! one moment knelled the woe of years.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #4
Methinks you've been watching too much GITS:SAC.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #5
Although this might eventually result in mind control, I don't see it happening anytime soon.The sensory part of the brain is understood fairly well, but thoughts, beliefs, memories, etc. are much less understood. And although controlling people by simply using the device to control the movement center of the brain might be possible, it would be pretty obvious that they were being controlled, as the device is probably pretty big and has to be right next to the person's head. There are probably other good uses besides entertainment though, for instance it could let blind people see without needing surgery like other methods used to make the blind see.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #6
I would pass on that.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #7
Why to bother when we still have the real world? Besides, if I want to feel bullets that are shot at me, I'll just go out and play Airsoft with my friends.

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Frozen feet:

Why to bother when we still have the real world? Besides, if I want to feel bullets that are shot at me, I'll just go out and play Airsoft with my friends.
Imagine you're playing a game similar to Exile. You cast a fireball spell and you can actually feel the heat from the fire. Not to mention that I don't think you can cast fireball in the real world...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

quote:

Imagine you're playing a game similar to Exile. You cast a fireball spell and you can actually feel the heat from the fire. Not to mention that I don't think you can cast fireball in the real world...

Why not smell their burning flesh as well? A bit to realistic.

[ Wednesday, April 13, 2005 08:22: Message edited by: Dolphin ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #10
Seems familiar...

IMAGE(http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000JSJC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg)
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #11
In the beginning, it probably will just be used for tv, and until tv broadcasts record more than just video and audio, feeling, taste and scent will probably be leftt out.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin:

quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

quote:

Why not smell their burning flesh as well? A bit to realistic.

Yep. And I DON'T want to feel the heat. Have you ever been near to exploding bomb or a blazing bonfire? It literally isn't cool. (And I definetly don't want to feel the trash the explosion throws to my eyes.)

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #13
I'm not suggesting that you get the full blown effects of everything; I don't think Sony would intend that either.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris