science, philosophy or religion?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: science, philosophy or religion?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive, but isn't it somewhat inconsiderate to single out the Vodou religion for mockery?
Just noticed this. I didn't mean the actual religion. I meant "magic" that sort of goes along with it -- as far as I know, the word can carry either meaning.

That is to say, a Christian using a voodoo doll is still using voodoo, even though it has nothing to do with following the religion per se.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #26
Clearly, the meaning of philosophy is horribly misinterpreted.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #27
Philosophy, of course.

The particular philosophy known as The Scientific Method and the more Existential branch of Christian Philosophy are the most important to me, though, so what I mean is a mixture of all three. ;)

That said, each one is a different name (and methodology) for the attempt to understand the universe, and I know plenty of people who have no need of any of them, and get their meaning from a never-ending quest to have a good time, so I think that "none of the above" is a fairly acceptable answer as well.

[ Wednesday, April 13, 2005 11:56: Message edited by: PoD person ]
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #28
How is science different from a religion. You have to believe in it right? Some things are not observable in total, for example evolution. How is the often quoted scientific "fact" different from a religious teaching. There are no facts in science only probability yet many take things as fact. As it stands science is for many very similar to a religion.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #29
Science and religion are completely different... with religion (or most of them, anyway) there's usually that sense of "if we pray hard enough, things will change" or "someone is watching over us". With science, it's more of "we create our own destinies" and "if we understand how this works, then we can change it".

Of course, too much of either is just asking for a good dose of karma.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #30
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

How is science different from a religion.
It isn't: They are two identical things. In other words: Science is a synonym for religion.

I wonder how many did not see this was sarcastic.

[ Thursday, April 14, 2005 06:15: Message edited by: Mind ]
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #31
They may be considered facts if the basic underlying assumptions are held to be true. These axioms seem to be far more reasonable than those belonging to any religion...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Apprentice
Member # 5720
Profile #32
quote:
There are no facts in science only probability yet many take things as fact. As it stands science is for many very similar to a religion.
Science are facts. Take the theory of evolution for example. It's been proven than a creature from several millions years ago evolvued to make the humans. Also, how can you say that a complete dinosaur skeleton isn't proving the existence of dinosaures several millions years ago? How can't you say that water boils at 100 celsius degres? How can't you say the earth is in an orbit around the sun (unless you think that earth isn't round) ?

Religion, on the other hand, doesn't prove anything. It's just the stuff a human though up about and that others mindlessly take as "the thruth". And there are so many contradictions. When I was at elementary school I learned about the miracles of Jesus. After, on my first day of high school my teacher said that Jesus never existed and was only something to make the small children believe in god. Religion is soo confusing and nobody seems to have the same perception even if they believe in the same religion.

If there would be only one religion, only one theory about the creation of the universe, then, and only then I will believe in religion. However, everybody seems to think differently.

Also, even if science is probability at some times (take thoses studies on DNA), it's much better than some random stuff some guy told you. If I would like too, even I, an ordinary guy, could start a religion. And manipulating could be extremly easy. Just take weak persons and make up some story and they'll follow you.

As for philosophy, it's important because if you can't reason, then you are a mindless machine that follows the society.

So, I'd go with both science and philosophy, but screw religion. It was great when the humanity did not have science to explain everything. No wonder the big religions like chrisitianis, are getting smaller (at least in Québec, Canada).
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #33
Science is not fact. While it may seem true from our point of view it may not be. Consider proving that gravity is exactly 9.8... m/s^2. You could drop as many apples as you want and they could all have that acceleration, but that doesn't prove a thing.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #34
It's a rather good thing for us that the laws of physics do seem to have behaved in a generally consistent manner so far, though. And while induction may not be rigorously valid, in the absence of a better method there's not much else one can do than follow the best guess available.

... assuming, of course, that we have at least observed the data from which we develop our inductions. It has in the past occurred to me (or at least, I remember it to have occurred to me) that the idea that our memories correspond to experiences we have had in the past is one a priori idea that we can't possibly base on experience, because without assuming it to be true we don't have any experience to base it on.

[ Tuesday, April 19, 2005 02:39: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #35
I won't pretend that this argument will convince you, Luchy-chan, but if all of the past is an illusion of a present, how did the present come to be? The only justification for that is free will, which is a bizarre argument for somebody as fatalistic (and atheistic) as you.

(And of course, disassociation with history and free will are both tenets of not only post-modernism, but also the people's capitalist wet dream of meritocracy.)

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Le Martyre de la Terreur:

I won't pretend that this argument will convince you, Luchy-chan, but if all of the past is an illusion of a present, how did the present come to be?)
The idea that things don't come to be for no reason is something we have learned from experience. If our experience is fabricated, we have no grounds to say that the universe can't have just popped into existence a moment ago with all our memories intact. Of course, this is one of those things that'd be disastrous beyond our ability to do anything about it if it were true, so it's best not to worry about it too much.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Le Martyre de la Terreur:

I won't pretend that this argument will convince you, Luchy-chan, but if all of the past is an illusion of a present, how did the present come to be? The only justification for that is free will
Is it just me, or is that a complete non-sequitur?

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link

Pages