science, philosophy or religion?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: science, philosophy or religion?
Apprentice
Member # 5662
Profile #0
science, philosophy or religion?
which one can give a sense to our existence?

your thoughts

[ Friday, April 08, 2005 09:45: Message edited by: imho ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 29 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=RaZYIvsZIPdg"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=RaZYIvsZIPdg"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #1
i think all of the above. but not too much, u must not focus on one but try to balance out on all three

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #2
How about all three?
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #3
Exactly. I draw from all three, although not quite in equal amounts. I suppose that I look most to religion to give meaning to my existence, but by no means do I ignore the other two.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
Science explains how the world works. Religion and philosophy explain what we should do about it. You can't live without some level of science, no matter how basic, and you also can't live (or be allowed to live) without some moral code, no matter how basic.

—Alorael, who would call religion a subset of philosophy anyway.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #5
Well, philosophy incorporates the other two as they are both schools of thought. Science starts at postulates, collects evidence to verify them, and draws conclusions based on that. Relgion tends to start with the conclusions and deals more with the consequences of them. These, more generally, are value statements which do not require evidence.

[ Friday, April 08, 2005 11:11: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #6
I don't believe in religion, so science is most important to me.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5550
Profile Homepage #7
Science tells us how the world works, not what we should make our lives about.

--------------------
Most Important Questions:
Why does one sock go missing?
What is the purpose of meaning?
What is the purpose of girls?
What happened to the other one?
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #8
science= rationality
philosophy= *angst*
religion= belief

I'll take a pass

Art-- Creative Construction -- (Architectecture, Comic Books, Paintings, etc.), Beer, Literature (especially science fiction and fantasy), Music, Commerce (money) ,Politics, and Sex are all much more fun.

[ Friday, April 08, 2005 15:32: Message edited by: Toasty Warm ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #9
I think that focusing on only one facet of human existence will lead to a lacking society. As a species we would stagnate, as all three make us what we are.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #10
Science is both a religion and a philosophy so I'd say its the best choice.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #11
Philosophy is a science, not a belief. Science is important, but not just in the yuppie, sterilized version of it. I'm going with philosophy, even though it and science are separated merely by pedantics.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #12
Science helps define the world we exist in, philosophy difines how we should live in the world we exist in, but religion define why we're here and our goals of life. So religion.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #13
I agree with *i, in that philosophy includes the others. Still, you need a bit of all three to really get a stable view of life.

Rely on one of the three too much, and you're out of luck if it collapses on you. Also, all three have some very good points, so why limit yourself to just one?

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #14
Science best explains how the world works. I think everyone or most everyone lives with religion because it makes them feel better about themselves. Aka when they die, they won't 'disappear forever'.

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #15
As a scientist, I have to go with science! Religion has nothing to do with reality, and is just trying to justify peoples' ideas without any kind of concrete justification by saying what they think is the will of god(s) or something. Philosophy isn't much better than religion without wanting to bring in gods to back up your ideas. You could also call philosophy science without any kind of measuring, experiments, math, or physical justification. I like a quote from Feynman, one of the most amazing physicists ever, as most physicists will attest to, "philosophers say a great deal about what is absolutely necessary for science, and it is always, so far as one can see, rather naive, and probably wrong."

--------------------
I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation.
- George Bernard Shaw
Apprentice
Member # 5662
Profile #16
i didn't want to state my view in the begining

science gives us power. a great deal of it.
philosophy is required to control that power, better said, to control us.

on the other hand, religion was the first explaination for things, with gods and such, and it was the first to give our life a sense.

it so happens that philosophy, which in gaining popularity these days, states that who are the ones who should give our life a sense, by idealizing a life project.
and science is much better at explaining things than religion.

whats my point?
religion is no longer necessary, and thus is slowly vanishing

note: if there is a god, creator, or something else is another issue.
but i truly believe that our level of self respect should stop us from worshipping Him.

this is very well represented in geneforge, by the Awakened (omg, i manage to embarass myself)

but God's existence is being discussed is another topic, so lets stick to the issue at hand
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #17
-Philosophy: On the plus side, it gives us a way to discuss higher-level ideas. On the other hand, we often wind up arguing over how a certain term is defined (i.e.: what is "good"?), and we get nowhere.

-Science: Gives us a semi-flexible, universal idea of how things (should) work. However, it tends towards cockiness far too often, and we seem to be wrong a lot.

-Religion: Gives us a direct, concrete interpretation of the meaning of life (For your average monotheistic religion, anyway). Sadly, it's easily used to manipulate people, and it may be horribly warped and/or limiting.

Thus, like I said before, you need a bit of all three to stay sane.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

-Philosophy: On the plus side, it gives us a way to discuss higher-level ideas. On the other hand, we often wind up arguing over how a certain term is defined (i.e.: what is "good"?), and we get nowhere.
It just means we don't accept each others' philosophical points.

quote:
-Science: Gives us a semi-flexible, universal idea of how things (should) work. However, it tends towards cockiness far too often, and we seem to be wrong a lot.
And philosophy and religion are 100% accurate? Science is a constant process of replacing wrong ideas with less wrong ideas. Nobody promises to be right. It tends towards cockiness because we don't really have any choice but accepting that our view of the universe is correct. We can't act on what we don't know yet!

quote:
-Religion: Gives us a direct, concrete interpretation of the meaning of life (For your average monotheistic religion, anyway). Sadly, it's easily used to manipulate people, and it may be horribly warped and/or limiting.
Again, it serves much the same purpose as philosophy. Organized religion has the ills of any organization, yes, but religion itself is no more or less than philosophy with a spiritual bent.

—Alorael, who would not be happy with any of the above components of a balanced life withotu the all-important argument.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #19
"philosophy= *angst*"

Sure. If you replace "philosophy" with "that emotionally ruinous nonsense teenagers spout off at regular intervals".

"Philosophy isn't much better than religion without wanting to bring in gods to back up your ideas. You could also call philosophy science without any kind of measuring, experiments, math, or physical justification."

Where have you been since, um, the 1500s? I guarantee you, non-platonic philosophies have become INCREDIBLY scrutinous.

"it so happens that philosophy, which in gaining popularity these days,"

Where have you been since, um, never?

"this is very well represented in geneforge, by the Awakened (omg, i manage to embarass myself)"

Don't worry, I feel just as stained for replying in this cesspit.

"-Philosophy: ...On the other hand, we often wind up arguing over how a certain term is defined (i.e.: what is "good"?), and we get nowhere."

That's not an argument against philosophy, just one against Derrida.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Universal Specific:

—Alorael, who would not be happy with any of the above components of a balanced life withotu the all-important argument.
Very true... without the ability to question it all, the three parts kind of fall apart. Flexibility helps build a healthier mental state...

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
I was thinking more that shouting at people builds a healthier mental state, but go with whatever works for you.

—Alorael, who would like to point out the different meanings of philosophy now. It can be a code of approach to a subject (often how to live), a codified view of life, the universe, and everything, or random pontification, often coupled with severe angst. Take your pick.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #22
Science was until the past two or three hundred years considered a branch of philosophy (Newton called his field "natural philosophy"), so separating the two is probably impossible.

Religion without science tends to lead to little more than voodoo.

Religion without philosophy seems like it would end up severely doctrinal or, as above, little more than voodoo.

Science without philosophy or religion would probably get us all killed posthaste.

So in general, we probably need at least two out of the three, or else things go downhill pretty quickly.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive, but isn't it somewhat inconsiderate to single out the Vodou religion for mockery?

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #24
Those things are basically the same. And we need all of them to grasp anything from the world.

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.

Pages