Are there any plans for multiplayer games?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Are there any plans for multiplayer games?
Apprentice
Member # 5634
Profile #0
Some sort of simple little multiplayer rpg would be great, even if it was only networkable and not massively multiplayer.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
SW sticks with what sells. A multiplayer online game would be a big risk, requiring a large investment in servers and so forth, with no guarantee of reward.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #2
at least the fifth topic like this, i posted something similar once

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
Four out of five MMORPGs fail. Spiderweb is a one man company with limited ability to compete with the likes of WoW and EQ and even more limited ability to recover from losing vast amounts of time and money.

—Alorael, who doesn't see much MMORPG potential in any of Jeff's games anyway. What makes you think Spiderweb would make such a wonderful one?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #4
Contrary to common (apparently) thought, turn-based combat isn't too thrilling in multiplayer.

If Jeff were to make a new license and have real-time combat, then multiplayer could possibly work. But he won't, therefore Exile will never see parties controlled by multiple people.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5634
Profile #5
Hmm, I don't think most of you read my post too carefully, lol. Like I said, I wouldn't care if it was a MMORPG, simply having it networkable would suffice. Nor do I care if it's "wonderful." Sometimes I enjoy playing simple rpgs that are networkable in which the graphics are poor, but there's a lot of room for character development and the story is somewhat interesting. The game wouldn't have to be party-based, either. It could be similar to Geneforge in how you just have one character per player.

It definitely would have to be real-time though. As someone previously mentioned, turn-based games become quite taxing on the nerves, mainly due to the sheer amount of time you spend waiting on the other player. Age of Wonders II is a perfect example of a great game that simply isn't worth playing after awhile because you have to sit there and watch your enemies fight their battles, or wait for them to finish their turn.

[ Sunday, March 27, 2005 10:14: Message edited by: Viseroth ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #6
<High Lord Sylak> ...
*High Lord Sylak smacks Viseroth with a large tuna, before realizing this is a messgeboard and not an IRC channel

the following should be added to the FAQs: NO! JEFF WILL NEVER MAKE AN ONLINE GAME! DON'T EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME ASKING! YOUR THREAD WILL BE LOCKED AND YOU WILL BE A LAUGHING-STOCK OF TEH FORUMS!

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
Viseroth, the reason that people didn't bother to look closely at your post is that there have been numerous others asking virtually identical questions every few months going back to the beginning of these boards.

And you have discovered what virtually everyone else does: it certainly could be done.

However, Jeff has stated that he's not going to do it. So the answer to your question is an emphatic NO.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #8
Yet still, there are those of us who hope...

Read my sig, then join the club.

--------------------
spiderweb soft make an mmorpg!
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #9
The General Board is a multiplayer online game already, non?

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #10
Somehow, I read "four out of five MMORPG players are fat" when I reread this topic. o_O
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

The General Board is a multiplayer online game already, non?
That's a new way of looking at it... you're right. And what a splendid game it is too! :D

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Viseroth:

Some sort of simple little multiplayer rpg would be great, even if it was only networkable and not massively multiplayer.
Will not happen from Spiderweb.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #13
While I won't try to contradict the fact that mutliplayer computer games are extraordinarily popular, I for one despise them and stick to games that I can play by myself. Which is one reason why I love Spiderweb Software so much, and am glad to know that they have no plans to branch out into that style of gameplay. :)

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #14
4 out of five hardcore MMORPG players wear the same cloths everyday. :P

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Warrior
Member # 126
Profile Homepage #15
If you REALLY want to do multiplayer, you could get friends to come and let them control different party members in the regular Spiderweb games.

"Oh, dude, it's Ssss-Nosss's turn! Hey, Jim get over here and play your turn!"

But that would be kind of lame, and your friends will probably think you're really weird.

[ Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:25: Message edited by: Captain Uglyhead ]

--------------------
XXXIII
Not hear? When noise was everywhere! it tolled
Increasing like a bell. Names in my ears
Of all the lost adventurers, my peers -
How such a one was strong, and such was bold,
And such was fortunate, yet each of old
Lost, lost! one moment knelled the woe of years.
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #16
I suppose a model that could be adopted by Avernum would be the original AOL Neverwinter Nights. That game was built on the old SSI Goldbox AD&D series engine. You would join up with other characters, and one would be the leader who would move the party around. In combat, you had something like 5 or 10 seconds to conduct your action, and then it would move to the next person. It was actually a lot of fun and rather clever!

I think the main difficulty is that multiplayer is a feature that would take an enormous amount of effort to implement and debug, and it isn't clear that it would be a compelling selling point. Other similar RPGs include a multiplayer component, such as Baldur's Gate, but it seems most people prefer to play it in single player mode. Other games, such as the new Neverwinter Nights, rely on the multiplayer aspect to sell the entire game - so they sacrifice story and single player experience in exchange for multiplayer. Others, like Diablo, are pretty much built to be multiplayer, with the single player being just an offline version of the game.

Just some random musings about the nature of the RPG industry.

[ Friday, April 08, 2005 04:30: Message edited by: Zorro ]

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?