Question about Karma

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Question about Karma
Warrior
Member # 5212
Profile #0
To the Left of the message box for all forum goers there is a box that says "Karma" and gives you a rating out of 5 stars. What is it and how do I earn it?
<----------------------
<----------------------

[ Monday, March 21, 2005 18:06: Message edited by: The Yeoman Cheesemonger ]

--------------------
The whole purpose of your life Might just be to serve as a warning to others.
You Can Take My PC Off Me When You Pry My Cold, Dead Fingers Off The Mouse.
Build a man a Fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on Fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=faq#item-13

Your answer is in the FAQ.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
Click on the karma button under someone's name (other than your own) and you can vote from 1 to 5 to express your overall evaluation of that individual's worthiness. Based on some arcane scale that weights earlier votes more heavily, a karma value is calculated and anywhere from one to five stars are shown.

The karma system is basically meaningless. If you've been around long enough, you know what people are like despite their karma. If you haven't been around for a long time, you shouldn't accept the votes of people you don't know, especially when many of those votes are cast when people are angry. So no, karma doesn't mean much.

Asking about karma is almost guaranteed to get you a low rating. Some people seek a low rating to be perverse. Some people turn off the karma in their profiles because it is so entirely meaningless. Many people never bother to vote at all. So there you go: a quick summary of the irrational and meaningless system of karma

—Alorael, who has noticed that most people tend to end up stuck at four stars. It's the cosmic balance between the nice people who vote five stars and the grumpy people who vote one star.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5212
Profile #3
Whoops, I'll check the FAQ next time.

--------------------
Build a man a Fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on Fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #4
Ignore it.

I, the greatest person to ever live, have only 3 stars at the moment. What could possibly be true about this?

Though for some odd reason, we still get a kick out of giving all the spammers/flamers/n00bs one star.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5212
Profile #5
Waaaaaaaah! I have one star and If anybody called my a flamer/Spammer/N00b I'll eat them.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #6
^ Sorry I probably contributed to your one star. I always vote one star for everybody. Because what the hell does it matter Karma is for people without power, and as everybody says the system is useless.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #7
I always get a laugh when people vote one star for software companies or throwaway accounts. Word to the wise check the very old posts using the search option at the top of the screen before asking certain questions. The temptation of asking about karma has always led to a one star rating.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by the Real Demonslaya:

I, the greatest person to ever live, have only 3 stars at the moment. What could possibly be true about this?
You are not the greatest, because Wise Man > you. :P

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #9
I only have 2 stars and I'm not complaining, yet. I mainly think this is to people holding karma as worthless and not voting. Don't know why Jeff put it there, if he [ut it there at all.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Following the rights movements
You clamped on with your iron fists
drugs being conviently available for all the kids

Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
For your wars against the new non rich
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
I have four stars and barring a few of the more challenged newbies, I believe I deserved every single vote I got. Except for Djur's. My first vote was one star, and I had that one coming too.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #11
Karma is senseless. Its only purpose is to make the members feel disliked.

You can disable karma in your profile options.

[ Tuesday, March 22, 2005 05:08: Message edited by: Mind ]
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #12
Karma, by the way it is worked out, is pretty meaningless. Most people will only vote karma, when someone says something that they either like alot or dislike. Some people just vote randomly, to be perverse. Though, to be honest, I probably deserve the little over 2, that I have.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #13
Karma is absolutely meaningful. It represents your ability to unintentionally annoy and anger people to the utmost degree. I am working on this. Some people do it effortlessly. I find it quite hard because when I try to get back at people other people tend to agree with me and up my rating. :P

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #14
Actually, you're right; Karma doesn't only make the members feel disliked unjustly, but also marks them as disliked unjustly.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #15
As per policy, everyone talking about karma in this thread who I haven't yet rated has received a 1-star rating.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #16
^ That goes double for me. Maybe we can get everybody down to one star. Why wouldn't you want to be an evil priest?

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

^ That goes double for me. Maybe we can get everybody down to one star. Why wouldn't you want to be an evil priest?
Diabolist! Satanist!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #18
I used to get all worked up about this, rather sadly. But, being hated beyond your wildest dreams isn't all that bad. Plus, if you're not Alorael, you're pretty much scum.

(Please note: the views and words of SupaNik do not represent the viewpoint of Nikki Jeffery, or any person or persons related to Nikki Jeffery, or any one else.)

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #19
Eh, I don't really bother with karma nowadays. It's fun to check on your own, every once in a while to see where it's at, but other than that, the only time I'll bother with karma is if someone is getting a bunch of low ratings, undeservedly, in my opinion.

Indeed, we are scum, Supa, but there's different levels of scum. Some of us are mere pond scum, some are that scum that you really didn't want to find, when swimming in the sea.

Drakey, mind checking your PM's, when you've got a moment?

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #20
I am not scum, I am moldy toast. :eek:

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Apprentice
Member # 5540
Profile #21
Note about karma: Voting 5 for Demonslayer or Drakefyre or Stareye doesn't get you any brownie points. It very much should (dammit), but it doesn't.

EDIT: Whoa, I just realized I have a 1-star rating in karma. IF it was for posting in this thread, than I'm impressed. Oh well, this IS my evil account. My 'moderate' account has 4-stars still I think.

[ Wednesday, March 23, 2005 05:02: Message edited by: Fringy MacGee ]
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #22
Drakey and Stareye I understand, since they're the admins, but why Demonslayer?
Apprentice
Member # 5540
Profile #23
^ In response

quote:
Originally written by the Real Demonslaya:

I, the greatest person to ever live.

Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #24
I just rated a member with zero posts one star :) Too bad Karma couldnt drop to zero stars.

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style

Pages