Geneforge 3 Questions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge 3 Questions
Apprentice
Member # 4456
Profile Homepage #0
I noticed that SW releases game for Mac first. Thats ok I guess, but how long will it take for the Windows version to come out after the Mac version? A couple months? I really like the screenshots for G3 and can't wait to play it. Jeff's games make this 35 y/o feel like I am 15 again.

*dreams about the good ol' days of Infocom games, SSI games, Bard's Tale and Ultima 4 & 5, etc, etc*

--------------------
Don't eat dirt, its nasty.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #1
If I'm not mistaken the PC version should come out around June. Earlier topics have mentioned this on the Geneforge board.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #2
it says it all over their home page

jeff usually releases things for mac first

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
Apprentice
Member # 5377
Profile #3
I think you should just get a mac and avoid the wait. They are better anyway.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
More expensive, too, at least here. I think I'll stay with what I have.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
Jeff releases everything for Mac first because he writes them on a Mac. Then he releases it and works on the port. They usually take a month or two, but the exact time is hard to determine because the PC beta testers can find weird and unsquishable bugs.

—Alorael, who has heard that Macs are very difficult to come by in Germany. Maybe he just consorts with too many heathen PC users over there, though.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #6
Itz called online ordering innit. I don't have a Mac retailer within 1,000 km of my town. But that doesn't mean online orders don't work. Or perhaps a trek by camel through a winding mountain path into so-called civilization would work.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
I used to think Canadians didn't have this US way of placing the fringe of civilization directly at the borders of their nation...

Anyway, I see no advantage of either Macs or PCs. If you don't want to conform, go all the way and use Linux. :P (What you install it *on* is of course your own prerogative.)

[ Friday, March 11, 2005 18:04: Message edited by: I'm Late, I'm Late, For ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #8
Poot, since you miss the days of Infocom and other old games, have you visited any of the abandonware sites? Or, for that matter, any of the IF sites?

I guess around June-July, more or less, we'll see G3 for Windows.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Apprentice
Member # 4456
Profile Homepage #9
@behind stingy cactus:

Home of the Underdogs is a good place to find abandonware. It is all legal, no piracy there. Also, just because I miss them, doesn't mean I play them. I just miss them. I have too little time to play the newer games as it is. :)

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Poot:

It is all legal, no piracy there.
Don't be so certain. I'm not going to say its wrong - just illegal.

Work that is subject to copyright does not go into the public domain because the copyright owner does not enforce it or goes out of business. It is, in fact, one of the complaints of Eldred in the current Supreme Court case on the constitutionality of copyright law. The law may be an ass, but it is still the law.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
The HOTU website acknowledges that the abandonware that they provide for download is illegal. That said, they claim to be willing to take down any game if the publisher so requests and they are very scrupulous about not uploading any game still produced and sold anywhere.

—Alorael, who is with the "illegal but not wrong" stance on abandonware. If it is literally impossible to purchase it for any price and you would like to play it, is there a moral reason not to download it for free?
Apprentice
Member # 4456
Profile Homepage #12
Uh, sorry for posting this info about HOTU. I guess I didn't know the legalities well enough. I didn't realized they acknowledged the their site may be illegal. What a bummer! :( It is a pretty nifty place to go for really old software. I guess it may be illegal, but the software companies don't really care about their ultra old titles. Who knows?

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5540
Profile #13
the real question is, why is it legal to sell things you can get for free. Consider this example:

Prostitution = illegal. You can get it for free but paying for it is against the law.

Pirated Software = illegal. You can buy it, but its illegal to download it for free.

food for thought.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Fringy MacGee:

the real question is, why is it legal to sell things you can get for free. Consider this example:

Prostitution = illegal. You can get it for free but paying for it is against the law.

Pirated Software = illegal. You can buy it, but its illegal to download it for free.

food for thought.

I do not think it is paying for these services that is the illegal part. It is offering to sell them that is illegal (when it is illegal at all, of course. It is not here as far as I know.) The other would be unenforcable - who can check whether or not you have paid?

Oh, and yes, I'm talking about prostitution, not piracy. :P

[ Tuesday, March 15, 2005 14:40: Message edited by: I'm Late, I'm Late, For ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
Here it is definitely illegal to hire a prostitute. There are periodic stings with false prostitutes, and they've spawned new and improved ways to differentiate between the real thing and the literal jailbait.

It's also illegal to purchase, download, or possess pirated software. The rumor that it's only illegal to upload or sell is a myth. It may not be easy for anyone to tell whether you pirated it or not, but it's illegal.

—Alorael, who knows exactly why both things are illegal. Pirated software is illegal because it is, in essence, theft. Someone produces a product and deserves money when someone else uses it. Prostitution is illegal because of moral and social issues, some more valid than others, but making sex illegal would be a distinctly difficult proposition. Besides, the Bible doesn't rail against all sex. Just most sex!
Apprentice
Member # 5540
Profile #16
If i was president of the world, i would make sex illegal.

p.s. vote for me if you hate sex!
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Fringy MacGee:

If i was president of the world, i would make sex illegal.

p.s. vote for me if you hate sex!

well, than I am relived you are not president.

--------------------
Nena
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #18
Giving away data(music, software,ebooks, etc) shouldn't be illegal, after all, those things produce money in other ways, besides, once you buy it it should be yours to do with as you wish, within reason. Just look at concerts, movies in movie theaters, and paper books-the people who make these make larrge amounts of money from them. But by that logic, software shouldn't be pirated because it has no other source of income. however, everybody shouldn't start pirating data, or eventually noone will make it except those who can afford to do so for free, and we'd all have to settle for data that people did in they're spare time instead of data that people had a lot of time to perfect.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #19
Self-contradiction much?
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
vote for me if you hate sex!
I predict you will get a total of 6 votes.

[ Wednesday, March 16, 2005 06:47: Message edited by: MY Name is not imporTant ]

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

tracihedlund@charter.net[/url]
TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #21
why would anyone hate sex????????

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Waffle Guy:

Because he won't get any?
Because he had bad experiences?
Because he had too much of it?

:) and welcome to Spiderweb boards bobis2high! Leave your sanity behind the door and don't become a 1-post-noob.

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #23
In my insight, it isn't, in any direct perspective, immoral, but being obsessed by it or disrespectfully regarding the other genus as a mere sex object is, unquestionably, low.

I have an unexplainable suspicion that Geneforge 3 will not be available for Macintosh in March. Hopefully, it is merely pessimism.

[ Wednesday, March 16, 2005 11:25: Message edited by: Mind ]
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by Waffle Guy:

To add on to what was stated above there are many who hate sex simply because they are to uptight to relax. I'll spare you the explanation of that statement. Not getting any and trauma would certainly be at the top of some lists. Also heavy religious groups often discourage theses things. Aside from marriage in which it is conditioned.

For the record I'm not included in any of these groups

[ Wednesday, March 16, 2005 11:26: Message edited by: Dolphin ]

--------------------
Nena

Pages