Repeal Amendment XXII

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Repeal Amendment XXII
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #0
Amendment XXII: the amendment passed in 1951 by Republicans who had gotten tired of the Roosevelt legacy to prevent running for President after having successfully done so twice.

Repealing Amendment XXII would make eligible for election in 2008 exactly two living men.

I'm for ridding ourselves of it. Opinions?

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
Could you briefly explain the benefits of President George W. Bush running again in 2008?

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #2
Indeed. Who is the other guy?

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
Hint: his name starts with the first consonant in the alphabet and ends with "ill Clinton".

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #4
Oh. Of course. I slap my face with a fish.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
So the upshot is that the potential benefit of Clinton getting to run a third time outweighs the danger of Bush getting in again?

You think third time's the charm?

I'm worried about this. Clinton has been smeared by the Right all this time even though he wasn't even running. I can only imagine what they'll do when he does.

[ Wednesday, January 26, 2005 03:42: Message edited by: To Elven-home, the Green and Fair ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
Warrior
Member # 4973
Profile #6
Sounds like a case of voting for the lesser of two very big evils.

--------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who think, those who think they think, and those who would rather die than think.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Thursday, September 16 2004 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
Oh, I don't see how Clinton would be an evil. It's just that the republicans have got crap on him already, and they'll be sure to use it.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4973
Profile #8
Well other than his lying under oath while in office, he's really not that bad.

--------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who think, those who think they think, and those who would rather die than think.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Thursday, September 16 2004 07:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #9
Yeah. And I suppose besides setting up the counterterrorism systems, modern military organization, diplomatic hegemony, necessary budget surplus reserve, and 21st-century attitude -- all of which the GOP gutted like so many trout after holding power for a few months -- Clinton really wasn't so great, either.

Really, I say we repeal it because 2008 is otherwise going to be something inane, like McCain versus Dean or H. Clinton versus Giuliani. Two men representing the most respected living leaders of two dramatically contrasting political factions going head-to-head to win the newly-reinstated right to hold a third term in office would be utterly awesome.

[ Wednesday, January 26, 2005 06:03: Message edited by: Bad-Ass Mother Custer ]

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #10
The only difference between Clinton and every other president in living memory is that his opponents got him to take an oath. Call me crazy, but I'd rather have the president lie about his love life than about non-existant WMDs or secret wars in Central America.

[ Wednesday, January 26, 2005 06:04: Message edited by: Turumby ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
Oh dear god, let it be as good as Dean vs. McCain. I'd be fine with either of those two as president. I sincerely doubt that it will be as pleasant as that.

I'm not sure I really like term limits on the executive, but I think the danger of having someone like George W. Bush in charge for more than two terms far overwhelms the potential benefit of having someone like Clinton have more than two terms. I mean, who here doubts that Reagan could've gotten re-elected in '88, even after the Alzheimer's had started to kick in?

I'd rather know that someone I hate is getting kicked out after a short while than have the chance to re-elect for a long time someone that I like.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #12
Despite being a dem, I would be utterly okay with McCain in '08.

The fact that a president is eligible for two terms is bad enough as it is. I think a single 6 year term would be better - more could be accomplished in that duration than in four years, and decisions would hopefully be less politicized, as there would be no reelection at stake.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
Three years, and a single term. And to replace the "reelection incentive", the president pays a substantial sum into the treasury from his private assets, which he only gets back (sans interest) if at the end of his term his approval rating is above, say, 60%.

What do you think?

Oh, of course president wouldn't be such a popular job then...

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #14
I think your idea would simply lead to presidents trying to please the majority the whole time.

EDIT: And McCain is probably too "moderate" for the GOP to nominate him, the way things have been going.

[ Wednesday, January 26, 2005 11:09: Message edited by: Desert Pl@h ]

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Desert Pl@h:

I think your idea would simply lead to presidents trying to please the majority the whole time.
Even so, that would still be an improvement over the current situation.

And the GOP, the way it is now, will be damned if they put up anyone but Bush if they can, or Rice if they can't.

So far, we've only considered certain matches: Bill Clinton vs. Bush, Hillary vs. Rice, Dean vs. McCain...

What if it's Dean vs. Rice? Or Hillary vs. McCain?

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
Unlimited terms are far more likely to help a charismatic but dishonest and ineffectual president than a good but boring one. It's good for the men who are good, honest, and likeable, but that's not many politicians. I'd say the potential costs of unlimited terms.

—Alorael, who isn't sure one term is a great idea either. On the one hand, it means presidents don't have to pander to their constituents. On the other hand, it means presidents don't have to listen to their constituents.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Where keen the air an pale as glass:
And the GOP, the way it is now, will be damned if they put up anyone but Bush if they can, or Rice if they can't.
Dude, there's no way this GOP would even consider Rice. She's too academic, too damaged goods from the Iraq thing, not good enough as a public speaker, and sadly, probably too not-white and too not-male.

With the way things are going currently, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bill Frist taking a stab at it. For Republicans right now, "it's the values, stupid!"

[ Wednesday, January 26, 2005 12:37: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
Ah, yes, there we go. It has to be Bill Frist. That would infuriate me as much as anything I can think of, so that's probably what the Republicans will choose to do.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #19
I doubt Dean will run even if he doesn't become DNP chairman.

Dems:
Hillary
Joe Biden
Kucinich
Kerry?
The usual suspects

Republicans:
McCain
Pataki
Giuliani
Jeb Bush
The usual suspects

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
Oh, another thought: I think an interesting match-up would be between Hillary Clinton and Dick Cheney. Both are exceedingly polarizing figures — there's a sizable number of people who HATE each of them — but both are prominent figures within their parties. I doubt that the R's would be dumb enough to nominate Cheney, but the D's nominated Kerry, so who knows.

Maybe H. Clinton vs. Frist. That seems likely. I don't know how that would turn out. My guess is that Clinton would win, but it would be close.

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #21
Think about it this way: if we repeal it, we can have Arnold be our president for 12 years!

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #22
One potential democratic candidate that we all may want to keep an eye on is Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana. He's moderate, he's been continually reelected to office in a pretty thoroughly Republican state, he's from the heartland, and he's a bit younger looking a la Edwards.

I think it could be Bayh v. Frist. I hope that Hillary doesn't run yet - I don't think she could beat Frist with the momentum the GOP has going.

I'm crossing my fingers that this Soc. Sec. issue will rend the GOP apart. :P

[ Wednesday, January 26, 2005 14:22: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #23
If we repealed Amendment XXII, for the last election-- Clinton would be in office, not Bush. It cuts both ways 4 terms of Clinton would have been a nightmare for most Republicans. It cuts both ways. There is too much power in the presidency right now. It should be diluted into two positions.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
Like, as in President of the Democrats and President of the Republicans? That's sure a viable alternative... just split it up and everyone's happy. Or not?

--------------------

Pages