Repeal Amendment XXII

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Repeal Amendment XXII
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #25
Oooo! I have a solution! Kick out Cheney and put in Dean. That way they'll have a balance without kicking Bush out.

(I can stand Bush sometimes, I think the problem's Cheney.)

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #26
Bush passes a lot of the buck for the crap that happens upstairs; I'm convinced he's been playing dumb on a semi-permanent basis since 2000.
(The most oft-cited statistic about him -- a 1250 SAT, a Yale C-, and so forth -- are surely indicative of nepotism, but not of stupidity; a C- represents about as well as you could manage at Yale without actual work, but it takes more intelligence than most people would think to skate by without working -- especially somewhere like that...)

The question is what kind of implication an administration needing someone to play dumb, and someone to play a semi-professional scapegoat, and a whole host of people ready to sacrifice their good names and futures, has, exactly.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Bad-Ass Mother Custer:
(The most oft-cited statistic about him -- a 1250 SAT, a Yale C-, and so forth -- are surely indicative of nepotism, but not of stupidity; a C- represents about as well as you could manage at Yale without actual work, but it takes more intelligence than most people would think to skate by without working -- especially somewhere like that...)
Except possibly not. He got the "gentleman's C," which means that if you are a gentleman, you get at least C. Certain schools (Stanford is a bit notorious for this, and Yale too) won't fail children of extraordinarily wealthy parents regardless of how poorly they do (well, within reason). That is, those C-'s could be high F's that the teachers raised a bit because of Bush's name.

At least, so the reputation goes. And I'd be the first one to point out that SAT scores and grades aren't a perfect indicator of intelligence (and possibly not even a particularly good one), and that intelligence isn't particularly well-defined anyway, except that all other indications (how he talks, etc) suggest that he's not the sharpest marble in the barrel.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #28
I would like to vote for Rudy Guliai, but that's not going to happen, I guess I would like to vote for probably Colin Powel than, but I don't think tha't going to happen either, I'm not voting for Dick Chainey, so ohh I have left is Hilary Clinton. As much as I hate to say this,
Hilary has my vote.

--------------------
"I am Batman". Batman.

"No one could touch me, I was Escobars Guy"

George Jung-Blow.

"Dare to disturb the Universe". The Chocolate War.

There is nothing sadder Than wasted Talent.

Lorenzo, A Bronx Tale.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #29
quote:
except that all other indications (how he talks, etc) suggest that he's not the sharpest marble in the barrel.
Except that it's entirely possible that he exaggerates his stupidity in order to pander to an increasingly anti-intellectual working class, to whom his policies do not pander at all. Furthermore, it tends to be easier to convince oneself that the liberties a stupid person takes with the truth are honest mistakes, whereas one tends to interpret the same liberties, when taken by a smarter person, as evidence of connivance. I think Alec is right to assert that President Bush is more intelligent than his opponents give him credit for, and I would add that he seems to take ruthless advantage of others' "mis-underestimations."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #30
I'm pretty sure that his less than articulate speech is real. I don't think anyone could, much less would, carefully learn to speak that way. However, speech and intelligence are far from the same thing, and I agree that Bush can't be as stupid as he is accused of being. He isn't necessarily blindingly intelligent, but he's not a moron.

—Alorael, who thinks some of his more worrisome and questionable statements in press conferences and other spontaneous speaking occasions are real mistakes, not intentional ones. They tend to be too damaging to be useful, or would be if he couldn't just say oops and have it get overlooked.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #31
His gestures are very Sunday morning television preacher. They go right for the evangelical crowd. So was the backdrop for his inaugural speech. The steepled fingers, the emphatic fist-- very evangelical. Man of the people type stuff. I'm the man-- el hombre.

I think he is speaking to the conservative working class and the religious right a lot of the time. This is not stupid speech, but it is not intellectual either. Think neo-conservative, for those of Spanish or Latin style Peronist, with some echoes of Franco.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Pages