Corruption in Indonesia

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Corruption in Indonesia
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #0
What do you all think of this? In Aceh province (I think it is a province...)there are not only civillians dressing up as soldiers and stealing aide, but the Indonesian millitary is stealing aide as well. I heard on Democracy Now! that they are also launching raids on cities that were not hit by the tsunami, which is also a problem, obviously. Not only after the tsunami, but before it as well. Aceh is supposed to be a hotspot for seperatists. What do you all think of this?

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #1
What do you think of this? A heavily indebted subsidiary of a company formerly run by the Vice President of a certain nation received a no-bid contract worth hundreds of billions of public dollars to clean up after a war started at that Vice President's urging, thus returning the subsidiary to solvency and permitting its parent company to initiate proceedings to sell it, successfully boosting the price of that parent company's stock, in which the Vice President at the time owned 433,000 options. Damn corrupt Third World countries. The lesson is, never waste our virtuous white dollars on them.

[ Friday, January 14, 2005 07:26: Message edited by: Boots ]

--------------------
Forgive them, for they are young and rich and white.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #2
What we should do is donate to reputable charities who take our money and buy food etc, and then give to the the people themselves. Just cut out the affected nations governments if that's what is needed.

--------------------
Everybody knows, but nobody understands.

Thus endeth this post.
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

What we should do is donate to reputable charities who take our money and buy food etc, and then give to the the people themselves. Just cut out the affected nations governments if that's what is needed.
I have a feeling that what you're suggesting is even more massively difficult than I think it is...

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone
Warrior
Member # 4973
Profile #4
I think that governmental corruption will always be a problem when dealing with natural disasters.

--------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who think, those who think they think, and those who would rather die than think.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Thursday, September 16 2004 07:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #5
I think they want us to go away because they do not like us even if we give them money. We are getting angry and trying to find justifications to stay. Thus we look for things that are wrong with them so we can make them take our help. This help often comes with a price-- listen to our missionaries, let us look for evil muslim sympathizers, use this brand it is best, please change your government we do not like it, we would rather have something more like us there. That is the truth.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

How?

Are you going to go there and hand them the dollar bills? Air-drop care packages (with what airplane)?

How do you propose to bypass the government, without it launching countermeasures? The last attempt to depose a corrupt government "for the good of the people" did not go too well I remember... :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #7
Well you can go through so called "Charitable Institution" or yes send the money directly to the people. The way I have seen this done is to send it to the various pastors/monks/priests of whatever charitable order. Unless the gov opens all packages it tends to get through.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #8
Or you can send doctors and engineers, not necessarily military people or missionaries who can help rebuild without a heavy political agenda -- things like water purification, temporary housing, and setting up hospitals.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #9
You must realize that Money(EDIT: the love of said money:) is the root of all evil, so how does it do any good when you give it to cherity? Corruption comes at it's won will. There is no way that it can be prevented short of removeing every infected part of the individual(government, country, etc.) and cauterizing the wound. The following carnage would be so severe that there would be little use for a new order because the old, haveing been destroyed, would be falling apart. What people do is a natural evil. But it is the lesser of the two evils by far. Corruption or chaos. Your choice.

[ Friday, January 14, 2005 19:57: Message edited by: mung ]

--------------------
...well I thought it was funney...? didn't you?
Warrior
Member # 4973
Profile #10
Correction: The love of money is the root of all evil

--------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who think, those who think they think, and those who would rather die than think.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Thursday, September 16 2004 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #11
Thank'ye kindley:P

--------------------
...well I thought it was funney...? didn't you?