Avernum/Exile

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum/Exile
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #0
Which do you think is the better game?

I'd have to go with exile. It's the classic, and I just like the gameplay better.

[ Friday, November 26, 2004 11:01: Message edited by: -08 ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 46 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=XDxGRlCiYaXD"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=XDxGRlCiYaXD"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #1
Though this is the topic that will never die, I feel I have an obligation to contribute to the discussion :P

I think that Exile and Avernum both serve their purposes. I like Avernum because there is more to do. You can aquire more skills, and you have more options in gameplay. However, Exile is classic. I think that Exile builds a better atmosphere for gameplay. I think it does well for a 2D RPG.

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #2
I think this constitutes raping the dead horse.

*sigh*...

Exile for ump-90th time.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #3
IMAGE(http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/PIX/fletcher_william.jpg)

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #4
Nice beard.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #5
IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/25/EugeneMcCarthy.jpg)
YOU ARE MAKING THIS MAN UNHAPPY!!

[ Friday, November 26, 2004 15:35: Message edited by: Partisan Slith ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #6
Considering there are already 2 pictures on this post I give it no less than a day before the Almighty Alorael or the Impish Imban smite it.

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #7
IMAGE(http://clanxeon.ath.cx/forum/images/avatars/gallery/User%20Uploaded/3016419fd037aca89.jpg)
Duke Andrean Battaie does not approve of this topic.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #8
*Sees an opportunity to SPAM, and never doing it before results in this rare action*

IMAGE(http://tinypic.com/oe1zs)

The mysterious individual who assumes many monikers, the most popular being Wham Bam Shizam also does not approve of this topic. He zaps it with a lightning bolt which fizzles for he has not MOD powers.

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #9
IMAGE(http://www.cdp181.demon.co.uk/images/spam.jpg)

Whats in your diet?

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
All I can say is wow.

For the record, I like Avernum better, because I like iso-3D. However, everything bad that Djur says about people like me is completely true.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #11
IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/realitymaniac/9961a26d.gif)

Avernum.

--------------------
Austrian Alex - Reality Corp.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #12
IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/KommandoV/chacha.gif)

BAD. BAD 4 U.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #13
Exile/Avernum 1: Definitely Avernum 1. Exile 1 is really, really clunky.

Exile/Avernum 2: Avernum 2, but not by so much. I think the isometric perspective does happy things to the game.

Exile/Avernum 3: On this one, Exile walks away the champ. In addition to being more fluid and natural to play (my only complaint being a severe shortage of money unless you rape the jobs list), Avernum 3 is the beginning of the new engine, which I hate.

(The new engine is slow as molasses on my laptop, which I use for these games. It takes 3-4 seconds for a spell effect to display, for some really weird reason--in the previous engine, normal time.)

Blades: Avernum wins here. Despite the annoyingness of the engine, it's just a far better GCK--better scripting, better customized graphics, and you can do nifty things with the isometric perspective.

I still voted for Exile, though. It's old-school. I'm old-school. So it's awesomer.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #14
Guys, what would your mothers say? :D

This topic has been asked and answered a gazillion times now. However, that's not necessarily the fault of the poster. Give him/her a little slack.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #15
My mother, if she was here today (god rest her soul), would take him by the ear and toss him into the rainy street.

--------------------
The critics agree!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by *i:

Guys, what would your mothers say? :D

This topic has been asked and answered a gazillion times now. However, that's not necessarily the fault of the poster. Give him/her a little slack.

IMAGE(http://mojo.heyhuman.com/archives/fool.jpg)

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
Avernum has a better skill system, the interesting but underused terrain height, and some spit and polish. Exiles 2 and 3 have a better selection of spells and E3 has far better graphics.

I go with Avernum. At least part of that is learning to love the engine by playing Nethergate.

—Alorael, who sighs and shakes his head at image spammers. Can't you give it a rest over Thanksgiving (regardless of whether or not you yourself celebrate the holiday, historical context and ramifications aside)?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by [b:
Dres Redoran[/b]]
My mother, if she was here today (god rest her soul), would take him by the ear and toss him into the rainy street.
Grrr to your mother. :( :)

Why is it that every topic i make you guys turn into some annoying piece of useless spam crap? :confused:

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
If your topics are horribly cliched, overdone, or pointless, people like to spam them. I can't say that it's right for them to do so, but that's what happens.

EDIT: It appears that you have started four topics (Kotor, Hitman, Porter's Retreat, and this one). Only one other topic has been spammed to death (Kotor) and that was done unjustly and Imban said so.

[ Sunday, November 28, 2004 07:47: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #20
Don't get me wrong, I do think some of the stuff is funny. It's just horribly annoying when you try and get a discussion going and people start making a joke out of it. :(

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #21
That's probably because we are tired of discussing the same exact things over and over.

Something original would be welcome.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #22
I apologize for spamming. I have never done it before, I just wanted to try it out... sorry... Didn't mean to beat up on the new guy.

But in all seriousness, I think that it is hard to say that Exile is better than Avernum, or vice versa. I like Exile becase (as said before) it is classic. It also seems that Exile and some Blades of Exile scenarios have a certian... atmosphere, or something like that, to them. I just really get into Exile stuff, and it is just a little bit harder to do that with Avernum. I really look forward to getting BoA though, because it gives veteran BoE players more tools, which give them the ability to tell better stories and make better scenarios.

[ Sunday, November 28, 2004 09:14: Message edited by: Wham Bam Shizam v 2.0 ]

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #23
Blades of Exile

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #24
Hi everybody. I'm back from a short vigil of homework, basketball practice, and Donkey Kong Country (for PC).

Exile is best because it works on my computer and I've played it for a while and really enjoyed it. And -08's reasons.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ

Pages