Rank

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Rank
Warrior
Member # 3575
Profile #0
What does it mean when there is a orange line under one's rank on a message?
Warrior
Member # 4710
Profile #1
First off, this should probably be moved under General, but as to your question, when your referring to rank, do you mean your member #? If so, perhaps it was just a problem with your monitor at the time? Perhaps it's just me, but I can't recall ever seeing an orange line under well, anything on the boards. Not very helpful, but perhaps you could be more specific so those that could help you further would have a better understanding of the problem.

Edit: Realized that I meant Tech Support in the event that it is truly an issue :) .

[ Wednesday, October 27, 2004 12:39: Message edited by: JMAN123 ]

--------------------
Life is short. Use a Mac.
Warrior
Member # 3575
Profile #2
The line is under the word journeyman above the member #. The line only started this past week and it only appears on my rank and no one elses.

[ Thursday, October 28, 2004 05:09: Message edited by: RebelK418 ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
I don't see any line ...

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #4
If the line is a link of some sort, it means that you're infected with spyware. Do a Google search for the programs AdAware and Spybot - Search and Destroy, download them, update them, and run them. They should get rid of that problem.
Warrior
Member # 3575
Profile #5
Thanks for the help. It was some sort of spyware. I allready had the programs but hadn't use them in like a month.

[ Thursday, October 28, 2004 15:29: Message edited by: RebelK418 ]
Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #6
Gotta love Opera and Mozilla. :) Never been infected with spyware to date (at least not the browser-hacking kind).

--------------------
"Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."
---Thomas Paine

Warrior
Member # 4973
Profile #7
I've been infected before while using Internet Explorer, but now that I've switched to Mozilla there has never been any problems.

--------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who think, those who think they think, and those who would rather die than think.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Thursday, September 16 2004 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3188
Profile Homepage #8
Another reason the whole world should convert to Mac...

--------------------
And that, my Leige, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped. -Sir Bedevere

Denn du bist was du isst
und ihr wisst was es ist.
-Rammstein
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
Thanks, if I ever stop using Windows, I'll go the whole way and switch to Linux. :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #10
:) Linux works on Macs too.

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Apollyon:

If the whole world converted to Mac, there'd be plenty of virii and spyware for Macs.

That and I hate them. How do you work without a scroll mouse?! ._.
Warrior
Member # 4414
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

quote:
Originally written by Apollyon:

If the whole world converted to Mac, there'd be plenty of virii and spyware for Macs.

That and I hate them. How do you work without a scroll mouse?! ._.

You can get a scroll mouse for Macs.

--------------------
AIM/Yahoo IM: Cavanoskus

Scary artwork and Bad Poetry
The Wildlife Research Team
SnakeNetMetalRadio

"We, who are about to die, salute you."
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #13
You can? I've never, ever seen one, oddly enough.

EDIT : This is also coming from someone who goes to a tech college where over 30% of the computers are Macs and a significant percentage of the population uses Macs as well.

[ Friday, October 29, 2004 11:41: Message edited by: Imban ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
As a Mac user, I use the keyboard a bit more than a PC-user might. I right-click with my left hand (that is, by clicking while holding down Control) and scroll mouse with the arrow keys or Page Up and Page Down. The same functionality is still there; it's just in a different place.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #15
You can get a ~$30 mouse (mine is Kensington) that is optical, has two buttons, and a wheel. Just plug it in and it automatically gets right-click functionality, and you can further customize it with the software it comes with.

Now, I'll just wait for the cries of "Aha! Off to get a Mac!"

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #16
Apple computers are so cool. Without Apple, I can only imagine how long it would have taken the major computer players to have developed a home computer.

Every large network I have seen that uses Apple computers works with very few errors when using applications. File sharing and drive clusters work, and the administrators do not need to employ crazy lockdown programs and disable everything to secure the network.

With lots of security modifications, a physcial and software based firewall, updated anti-virus programs, and many features of Windows disabled, a Microsoft network can usually function without becoming infected by viruses or destroyed. But then again, everything will cause error messages about permissions and everything runs so slowly.

As for Linux, I have a quick question for anyone who might know. Can any of you point me to a boot disk with standard utilities (specifically sfdisk) that uses the 2.6 kernel? I am going to ask in a real tech forum soon, but I need to register first...

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #17
The difference in security and functionality between comparable Apple and Microsoft machines is negligible. A moron will happily compromise any system's integrity, after all.

[ Friday, October 29, 2004 12:42: Message edited by: Fear Uncertainty and Custer ]

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
Because the majority of computers run Windows, the majority of viruses are written to run on Windows. If everyone got Macs, that would change overnight, but for now I enjoy downloading all the viruses I can find, stacking them in a folder, and laughing at them.

—Alorael, who wouldn't actually try this. You never know when someone might decide to make a cross-platform virus, and there are plenty of Mac viruses too, though they are a minority.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

Every large network I have seen that uses Apple computers works with very few errors when using applications. File sharing and drive clusters work, and the administrators do not need to employ crazy lockdown programs and disable everything to secure the network.

With lots of security modifications, a physcial and software based firewall, updated anti-virus programs, and many features of Windows disabled, a Microsoft network can usually function without becoming infected by viruses or destroyed. But then again, everything will cause error messages about permissions and everything runs so slowly.

The network at my school works fine, and it is not slow at all. If you don't apply patches that fix security holes or keep an antivirus program updated, you have no grounds to complain when someone exploits those holes or you get a virus.

Furthermore, crazy lockdown programs are usually put into place by school administrators who know nothing about computers and are scared that students will destroy the computers instantly if not forbidden from doing 95% of things on them.

Where I go to school, the only things "locked down" on the computers, PC and Mac, are blatantly destructive uses.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #20
Our computers at school are only available for "educational purposes," which only includes Microsoft Office (oh, the joys) and the Internet for research. It's not like everybody uses them that way now...

But I've never posted here from school; I'm afraid to try. :o

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #21
teacher's pet. :P

and in high school, class is nap time!

:rolleyes:

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by wz. arsenic:

You can get a ~$30 mouse (mine is Kensington) that is optical, has two buttons, and a wheel. Just plug it in and it automatically gets right-click functionality, and you can further customize it with the software it comes with.

Now, I'll just wait for the cries of "Aha! Off to get a Mac!"

For the Euro equivalent of what I think amounts to a little above 20$, I got a Windows mouse that is optical, has five buttons, and two wheels. :P

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #23
And I'm sure there are still better ones for even cheaper. That wasn't, however, my point. As I'm sure you're aware.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
Yup, of course. I was just gloating a little. :)

--------------------

Pages