Ghost Stories

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Ghost Stories
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #0
Less than a week from Halloween... does anybody know any truly scary stories? I haven't heard an original one in years. Post it here if you know a good one (preferably not too long). And please, people, give me some variety.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #1
We don't celebrate pagan feasts, you heathen. We burn huge bonfires to keep the dark forces at bay, and pray to all saints available.

Honestly, what has become of evil if people celebrate it by dressing funny and whine for candy? That's pathetic. Poor evil. Another one bites the dust.

M.R.James could probably help you with the ghost stories.

--------------------
ahhahaha i rule u droool
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #2
You might try the chain story at Pointless Waste of Time. I don't find it scary, because when reading description my eyes tend to lose focus halfway through and I skip to the next bit of dialogue, but certain bits owe a lot to Lovecraft. Also it's quite funny http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/jdate/intro.html

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #3
Seeing mr. Bush win the elections scares me most +_+

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
Reminds me of that Magical Girl Hunter thing a while back. Probably all the spiritual superpowers, and the two crazy people going on shooting sprees.

Though this one is far more scary, and the plot far less easy to follow. They both have 46 parts, anyway.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #5
BOO

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #6
AHHHHH!!!!!
*jumps in fright*

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #7
Hahaha no it's really me.

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #8
Here's a scary story...

My friend Kharon started making a 3D rendering of part of the terrain of his conworld Atrusius today. He has to make it from scratch using over 16,442 points, and he has to configure each one manually.

And he's not even a hundreth of the way done yet.

[ Wednesday, October 27, 2004 15:54: Message edited by: Whyte Shadow ]

--------------------
Digital Neko - more nekojin per capita than you can beat senseless! Now featuring all-new subdomain!
Vote Richter! Belmont in 2004!
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #9
Boston actually winning the world series. The world will fall apart.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #10
Yeah, thanks, I love all of you too. =\

Actually, Slith's horror story gives me an idea... not quite what I was hoping for, but it'll have to do.

Weedy, "Halloween" comes from "All Hallow's Eve" which is a night for respecting, remembering, and celebrating the dead saints, blessed by God, and is therefore neither a pagan feast nor a celebration of evil. Admittedly, our celebrations do tend to include a dishearting lack of pyromania. We try to make up for it by putting razors and pins in candy and giving it to random children in adorable costumes, but you're right, there's nothing like a roaring bonfire to keep the teeming hordes of Hell at bay. Well, TPing and egging get old eventually... maybe this is the answer to my prayers...

:P (for all you newbies who didn't know any better)

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #11
Oh yeah? So that's why you walk around dressed like satan and threaten people? I get it. I really do.

--------------------
ahhahaha i rule u droool
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #12
Halloween was not originally meant to be changed into this ghoulish children's holiday. The atmosphere of reverence and 'spookiness' was acceptable, I guess. Mexico's Dia de los Muertos comes around at the same time as Halloween. The celebrations there are a little more somber, but decidedly festivities for the young ones.

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
Well, like quite a lot of Christian holidays, Halloween was initially a pagan holiday that the Christians co-opted anyway.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 4973
Profile #14
Kind of like Christmas. A pagan holiday that the Roman Church recycled. Although that doesen't explain the current abberations such as Santa and his flying reindeer.

--------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who think, those who think they think, and those who would rather die than think.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Thursday, September 16 2004 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #15
Pagan or not, has Halloween always been about scaring others in order to overcome one's own scariness?
If it was good enough for christian missionaries to recycle this theme - it may good enough for politicians these days in the season of elections.

[ Thursday, October 28, 2004 04:19: Message edited by: No 2 Methylphenidate ]
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:
Seeing mr. Bush win the elections scares me most +_+
What's scary is Mr. Kerry pulling all our troops out of Iraq---and then taxing us more anyway while promoting gays and abortions and giving the government power over our lives.

Oh. *ahem*

Just walk out in the woods on a cloudy, moonless night, imagine there's a big monster about to eat you, and try not to run. ;)

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by 4614 and 4808:
What's scary is Mr. Kerry pulling all our troops out of Iraq---and then taxing us more anyway while promoting gays and abortions and giving the government power over our lives.
I have it! This is the problem. You believe every single thing that the far right even insinuates, regardless of factual basis.

Kerry does not advocate pulling all of our troops out of Iraq immediately.

Kerry does not advocate taxing you more (unless you happen to make more than $200,000, in which case you can cry me a freakin' river).

Kerry does not "promote gays" — and what the hell does that actually mean, anyway? Kerry is in fact a Catholic and against gay marriage. He just thinks that it should be up to the states to decide — which, to my great shock, George W. Bush said a few days ago, too.

Kerry does not promote abortions. He is personally against them — remember that answer in the debates? — but does not want to legislate his personal convictions.

And do you really think that either side does not (in effect, if not in policy) advocate greater governmental control over our lives? Have you heard of the Patriot Act?

Really, you should check your facts before you spout off. At least try. Come on.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #18
I don't know about you, but I'm certainly not going to vote for a man who's going to let the wolves get us. The spooky, spooky wolves.

I remember a story about a boy who liked to warn people about wolves, but I forget how it goes.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #19
You guys want a scary story? Here.

In the summer of 2002, after I had written an article in Esquire that the White House didn't like about Bush's former communications director, Karen Hughes, I had a meeting with a senior adviser to Bush. He expressed the White House's displeasure, and then he told me something that at the time I didn't fully comprehend -- but which I now believe gets to the very heart of the Bush presidency.

The aide said that guys like me were ''in what we call the reality-based community,'' which he defined as people who ''believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.'' I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. ''That's not the way the world really works anymore,'' he continued. ''We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.''

Credit where credit is due.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #20
Ben - http://factcheck.org. This site examines every statement made by every American Presidential candidate and their supports...and it turns out that almost all of them continually spout distortions. Interesting read, and that's coming from someone who normally isn't interested in politics at all.

And I'm surprised no one's posted this yet...

Once, there was this greeeeen goblin...
And he would, uh...look arouuund...
And then he'd, um...do a daaaance...

=^.^=;

I'll try harder to come up with a good story for my next post, really.

Edited: because I forgot to put the slash in /URL. =^.^=;

[ Thursday, October 28, 2004 20:01: Message edited by: Whyte Shadow ]

--------------------
Digital Neko - more nekojin per capita than you can beat senseless! Now featuring all-new subdomain!
Vote Richter! Belmont in 2004!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
'We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality.
quote:
"...loyal willingness to say black is white when party discipline demands this. It also means the ability to believe that black is white, and more, to know black is white, and forget that one has ever believed the contrary."
quote:
"Till at last the child's mind is these suggestions, and the sum of the suggestions is the child's mind. And not the child's mind only. The adult's mind too–all his life long. The mind that judges and desires and decides–made up of these suggestions. But all these suggestions are our suggestions!" The Director almost shouted in his triumph. "Suggestions from the State."

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #22
Thanks Kel, Alec, and Whyte. I really hope Kerry wins now that he's so conservative. :rolleyes:

IMAGE(http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:-sNf-u2O2_4J:www.gopshoppe.com/gop/images/items/BNBC04.jpg)

[ Friday, October 29, 2004 15:30: Message edited by: 4614 and 4808 ]

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
You appear to have missed the point. I shouldn't be surprised, but somehow I am.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
You do? It always is a pleasure to my eyes to see a conservative who has seen the light. :)

Edit: The best policy is usually to respond to Sarcasm with Sarcasm.

[ Friday, October 29, 2004 17:24: Message edited by: In Panoply of Ancient Kings ]

--------------------

Pages