Ghost Stories

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Ghost Stories
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #25
For him, it isn't the point. Some people support political parties the way other people support football teams.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #26
There is little that I detest more than the fact that Thuryl is completely true about that. On that note, take the politics elsewhere. Honestly, can't anyone create a topic without it declining into the same old arguments, over and over? And don't you all have anything better to do than arguing with Ben and preaching to the choir? I wish I had that much free time to waste...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #27
It's close to election time. I think all Americans are a bit tense right now. The turnout is predicted to be higher than any election in something like a hundred years.

Sadly, I don't know any good ghost stories. Halloween is a good holiday, though. We had some local kids go trick-or-treating in our dorms because the neighborhoods where they were from were too dangerous to trick-or-treat in. It was pretty cool.

EDIT: Dear god, there's an election rally a block away from my room. I suppose I have to go see what's going on. Halloween. Yes. That too.

[ Friday, October 29, 2004 15:57: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #28
My understanding from half-heartedly reading cheap historical fiction is that Halloween took over from the Celtic festival of Beltain, which was their new year and all the ghosts and whatever were supposed to be out on that night for strange and unfeasible reasons to do with the end of the old etc.

If I've got completely the wrong end of the stick or you're Wiccan, I apologise.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #29
Close enough - Samhain, and the spirits were out because it was the day of the year when the barrier between the spirit world and the physical world was thinnest. Putting food out came from their desire to appease the spirits, and masks were worn outside the house so that the spirits would not recognize the humans for what they were. And I think the Finns' bonfires come from the tradition of putting out the hearthfire, building a huge fire somewhere in the village, participating in pagan rituals, and then relighting the hearthfires from the central bonfire.

Weedy, you are aware that my post was a mix of sarcasm and irony, are you not? Sometimes it's hard to tell whether you're playing along or you really think I'm serious...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #30
Finns don't burn bonfires on Alla Helgons Afton (which would be our version of Halloween). Not anymore, at least.

All we do is visit the graves of persons close to us, and lit candles. Which isn't extraordinary in any way, as we do the same on Christmas.

The bonfires are a chapter for themselves. We burn them on The first of May, Easter and Midsummer. As far as I know, it has nothing to do with Celtic traditions. It's more of a Christian thing. On certain days of the year, the dark forces can ramble free (the time between Jesus's death and his ressurection, for example). Fire keeps them away. It's that simple.

We Swedish-speaking Finns don't burn bonfires on Midsummer, which is a Carelian tradition. On the other hand, we celebrate "The day of the Ancient Fires". Which includes bonfires. It's all a mess, if you ask me.

--------------------
ahhahaha i rule u droool

Pages