Arrrrgh...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Arrrrgh...
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #0
http://whyteshadow.newgaea-nxs.com/forest5.jpg

I'm sorry about this. I didn't want to look like I'm just turning this board into a dumping ground for my drawings. But I'm seriously frustrated on this one.

It's just...missing something. I stayed up until 5 AM last night thinking about it, and I have almost nothing. So...I turn to you.

Also, there's a pretty good chance that it'll hit me about twenty minutes after I post, which is just more incentive to hurry up. =^.^=

Edit: I just wanted to add that I really like the way it's turned out so far, but it just seems like if it had a little something more it could be a lot better. Nya... =@.@=

[ Friday, October 22, 2004 19:14: Message edited by: Whyte Shadow ]

--------------------
Digital Neko - more nekojin per capita than you can beat senseless! Now featuring all-new subdomain!
Vote Richter! Belmont in 2004!
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #1
You lack balance and symmetry on your left side because there is no tree. Consider adding one on the far left side, even if it is partly off paper.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #2
It is a work in progress, so I am sure you will eventually shade (or texture if you want to be detailed) the background trees. The left side does seem a tad bare, but adding a trunk would might make the picture have too many trees. Maybe just branches coming in from the left would be sufficient.

My attention is drawn by the knothole in the foreground mid-right tree. It looks a little unnatural, but you could make the edges of the knothole converge vertically, similar to the way it was done in one of the left background trees.

[ Friday, October 22, 2004 19:45: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
Warrior
Member # 5086
Profile Homepage #3
I know exactly what your missing................

Oh did you want to know what it is?
Rabid Pigs Eating A Wolf... Nothing is complete without some Rabid Pigs...

[ Friday, October 22, 2004 20:54: Message edited by: Rabid Pigs Eating A Wolf ]

--------------------
I love stupid people acting smart...
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #4
^I love stupid people acting stupid.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
BANNED
Member # 4860
Profile Homepage #5
^I love Stug.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #6
^I love TGM.

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
^I love Rosy.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #8
^I love all three of you.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #9
^I love breaking the loopback.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #10
<-- Would really like his topic back now, please.

--------------------
Digital Neko - more nekojin per capita than you can beat senseless! Now featuring all-new subdomain!
BANNED
Member # 4860
Profile Homepage #11
Oh yes, sorry about that.

I think the drawing lacks, well, life. Can't quite explain it, but that forest looks DEAD. Even more DEAD that the dead forests one sees in the nature. :/

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #12
Mmmm... it's all very straight and similar.
If I were you I'd add a twisted limb or two... make some of the grass point in different directions... add scrub, rocks, bushes, gravel, dirt... more tree limbs, not to mention leaves, lower down. Shade. Detail in a few leaves.

Just some suggestions. I like it.

Oh, is it a backdrop? It reminds me a lot of scenery for a ballet or play or something.

[ Sunday, October 24, 2004 08:48: Message edited by: I love you for your inner beauty ]

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #13
Hmm...I was saving the shading and the leaves for colorization, but I see what you mean about the twisted branches and stuff. *Drawdrawdrawdrawdrawdrawdraw*

And it's a background, sort of. Thuryl originally gave me the idea. He was trying to suggest things that I don't usually draw, and this idea just formed in my head, so now I'm probably going to put in some characters drawn seperately in Photoshop and make it one coherent piece. =^.^=

By the way, does anyone know how to make decent-looking beams of light, or those sparkles that represent clear directional light in anime?

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #14
Hoorj, I'm back, kind of...

Anyway, I think the best way to make those beams would be symetrical, steep diagonal lines, and put them in the background. make them transparent white or yellow, and if you are drawing where they break trough the leaves, make it pretty blinding on the closest leaves and gradualy darker.
You might add some pixel sized dots in the beams too.

That felt awfuly logical...

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #15
:P Oops Black Griffon, somewhere I've read previously that signature ...
But it's obsolete now, Ben has one star. We could just slowly vote him up ^_^

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #16
...no.

If you're going to add characters, WS, that should help it. That's what struck me - the lack of a clear subject or story. Skillful shading could give it that; is it a drk, evil forest? A light and airy one? Or is it just a background for something else? It does seem unfinished, but I'm sure you've planned to fix that.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Warrior
Member # 4267
Profile Homepage #17
it doesn't even need characters, they main reason that it looks "dead" is because everything looks so cut out and artificial [no offense intended], the trees don't have the proper shading, or shape to convey scale, they're all straight, and rather symetrical as fas as shape, and the ground is well.. a line. if you want help, I'd be glad to help. for starters though, go study some real trees... it helps to know how they grow, a real tree twists, and bends, and moves as it grows, and you can see that in its shape. yes, trees have character O.o;;; also you may not want to draw each individual blade of grass. perhaps changing your angle may help a little.. have the pan a little higher, so that you can see the forest flow going off into the background, that would also give you a good chance to practice some prespective.

--------------------
If everyone would just forgive someone else, so much pain would be taken off of all of our shoulders... but as tenderness is a virtue it is also a failing, any who would do such a thing usually fall to those who wouldn't. - Ezrah
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #18
Happy Spy? :P
But I agree with kitty here, it needs life.
Add some birds flying around, a fox hiding in the bushes maybe, those tree mushroom thingies, moss, you probably won't see all that stuff in the forest at all times, but it shows us that it is a forest.

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #19
:) Oh, maybe you misunderstood StD - I'm always proud when somebody copies me. I only started to have pity on ben, because everybody is still bashing him.

t WS, only finish your forest and ask again.

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #20
I know what you should do. You should add like a mountain trail starting on the left side and moving right and away. Doesn't it look like there should be a trail in that opening? I do.

Maybe you should add a deer or something too.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #21
http://whyteshadow.newgaea-nxs.com/forest6.jpg

Behold! Vines and rocks and stuff!

By the way, this is huge. I haven't had time to shrink it yet...I'll do that in the morning.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #22
Strange, I can see the old picture but not the updated version. In other words, the link isn't working for me.

--------------------
"He's mine, go get your own human plaything!" Bernard Black (Black Books)

Also look at my sitehere
This is also a good site
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #23
Okay, it works now. I forgot to rename the file... =^.^=;

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #24
Shade the picture, and push your values. Exaggerate all the shading and be sure to make things darker than white if they're any color other than white. Detail things meant to be closer to the viewer more than those in the back, and make the closer things lighter and/or have more varying shading than those in the back. Also, use texture. Show that there are leaves by making a few lines where the edges of some leaves should be, and use contour lines where you can. Also, don't detail the grass so much (don't show all the individual blades) unless you want people to pay the most attention to the grass. Things that are more detailed attract more attention than those that are not.

And so on! Peachy idea for a picture, but there really doesn't seem to be much of a point to it. Maybe put something outstanding in the middle, like a person or a huge rock or something.

--------------------
Fo shizzle, my lord.

Two goldfish are in a tank. One says to the other, "Do you know how to drive this thing?"

Pages