Non-violent solutions in the Geneforge Series

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Non-violent solutions in the Geneforge Series
Apprentice
Member # 3846
Profile #0
I have not played through either Geneforge game, although I plan to eventually.

When Jeff was developing Geneforge he mentioned how every mission should be able to be completed without combat. You should be able to win the game using diplomacy and stealth. Is this really possible. It seems that there are some missions, especially in Geneforge 1, that require combat. For example destroying the creature spawner in Watchhill, I don't see how you could sneak into the lair.

I've heard that Geneforge 2 has more non-violent options than Geneforge 1. How well do you think non-violent options are enabled in the Geneforge series so far?
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #1
Personally I think that playing through the WHOLE game using nothing but lockpicks and talking would be borish.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Apprentice
Member # 3846
Profile #2
I think it would be very challenging to try to sleathly avoid all the monsters roaming around Geneforge. On a side note, it would also be rather slow, becuase many areas are only turned green when a majority of monsters are killed, so if you had to trek back and forth through lots of red areas to get to town, avoids roaming monsters each way, it could take a lot longer to play the game.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #3
Fallout is playable all the way through without lifting a hand in anger. Geneforge? No.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Apprentice
Member # 3846
Profile #4
You're referring to the original Fallout?

What about when you get jumped by wandering monsters while travelling outdoors? But it is a good example of another game that tries to have non-violent solutions. RPGCodex compared the Geneforge series to Fallout in their review, I thought that was very interesting and high praise for Geneforge.
Warrior
Member # 4973
Profile #5
I've played both Geneforge demos, and I found it impossible to "sneak" through every area. Though I'm not saying it wouldn't be possible for someone with a higher skill level or more patience than me. :)

--------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who think, those who think they think, and those who would rather die than think.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Thursday, September 16 2004 07:00
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by quartex:

You're referring to the original Fallout?

What about when you get jumped by wandering monsters while travelling outdoors? But it is a good example of another game that tries to have non-violent solutions. RPGCodex compared the Geneforge series to Fallout in their review, I thought that was very interesting and high praise for Geneforge.

You run away.

Did that review happen to have the words "cheap", "wannabe", "lame", "rip-off", or "buy this instead" in it? Because that'd be the most accurate comparison of Geneforge with Fallout I've heard.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #7
t djur +rep :gigabomb

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
I played through Fallout just a few weeks ago without getting a single kill to my name. I did have to repeatedly move in and out of combat mode in some parts of the military base and Cathedral to avoid being spotted by guards, though. Still not sure if it really counts as a pacifist game, since you're still responsible for the deaths of whoever was in the base and Cathedral when you blew them up. :P

Oh, and I don't think you can get a good ending for Junktown without killing Gizmo. I didn't, anyway.

Can't speak for Geneforge, though.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #9
What about henchman/pet kills? That's how you get the Pacifist conduct in Nethack.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #10
Hmmm... the thing about Watchill is that you can get that servile on your side, who pretty much takes care of it all.

Thinking about it, I think that it is possible to complete the game (definately not every quest) without raising a hand in fighting or geting a creation to do so. You'd have to do some sweet manuvering to get past Sholai lands, if you use trickery, you can kill Trajkov and not have to fight his guards. The control key can be gotten without a fight. Then you can use the servant mind to sneak into the docks and off the island. So, yeah, it probably is possible to get one or more endings without killing anyone.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Andrea:

What about henchman/pet kills?
Those still add to your kill count.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #12
If you killed nothing, how would you get experience for such things as Leadership? Sure, you can probably beat the game without excessive violence. But why would you want to?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
I dunno. Maybe because some people prefer finding better alternatives to mass murder?

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #14
JV (king of "everything must work") has made sure that you gain levels without fighting. Every quest gives you EXP after completing it, and these quests often don't require fighting. Plus, there's experience for disarming mines...

I'd say it's possible. I wouldn't waste my time, but it's possible.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #15
There's really no point. Unless you've played Geneforge countless times before and are extremely bored with it, why not run the easy route and slaughter everything in you path. ;)

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Warrior
Member # 4345
Profile #16
Yeah why would you want to just run from everyone cause in most cases its just pointless. Even when Im bored with the game what I do usually involves fighting guys for fun, usually giving myself ridiculous teams(ie killing everyone in a town with just ornks)

--------------------
"Damn Scots. They ruined scotland!"-Groundskeeper Willy, the Simpsons
Apprentice
Member # 4960
Profile #17
You can create ornks in Geneforge? I thought they were un-creatable, only seen as plot props/scenery . . .

Only in Geneforge 2, perhaps?
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #18
no. you can find the Create Ornk canister hidden somewhere. it's just well hidden, IMHO.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
The FAQ tells how to get the point of Create Ornk in GF1. This tells how to get it in GF2.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #20
It's in that place southeast of the Taker town, I think in the upper right corner of the place in GF1.

Geneforge isn't really designed for nonviolent play. It might be fun to try, but then again, it's more likely to be boring and tedious.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Apprentice
Member # 4960
Profile #21
You're link to the FAQ doesn't work, Kelandon. I believe it, of course, guessing from both your second link, and Davida.

But thanks for the info. I probably would never even have looked for it, otherwise.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #22
I don't think you'd want to, nonetheless, it's a weak creation, even with essence poured into it and the cost in living tools (unless you ignore every other skill and put all your SP into mechanics until you were level 20 or so), to get it, is prohibitive.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
The link works for me, EternalSpearman. At any rate, it's the FAQ linked to at the top of the GF1 board. The canister of Create Ornk is in the Servile Warren just outside of Kazg.

[ Saturday, October 16, 2004 12:30: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5102
Profile #24
That's strange, because the link doesn't work for me either. But the page is the same as your link, nonetheless:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/geneforge.txt

Pages