Paralympics

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Paralympics
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #0
I'm told that this year no channel in the US is showing any coverage of the Paralympics, in contrast to much of the rest of the world and in contrast to the situation in 2002, 2000 and previous years. Why exactly has this happened, what do you think about this and on a wider note, what do you think about the concept of the paralympics?

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Apprentice
Member # 5009
Profile #1
By paralympics I'm guessing you mean Special Olympics? I have no idea why they're not broadcasting it but I do think they are a good idea.

--------------------
Post count 446 + Current.
--------------------
I am Dolney, A guy with some level of grammar and The rightful owner of 5000.
--------------------
"Well, to be perfectly honest, I'd rather watch grainy video of cheerleaders being introduced to lesbianism." -Jeff Vogel
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
You're 9 off, kiddie.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #3
Special olympics are the Paralympics, correct?

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #4
1. I have no idea.

2. Not media-sexy enough?

3. Well, I'm all for the Paralympics. Why not. Seen as a concept it is a little weird, isn't it? The Olympics are about the best of humanity competing against each other. Having separate competitions for disabled people kind of marks them as 'lesser people' who not belong to the great majority.
Perhaps it would be better if the disabled would compete in the same series as other people, and be equal to them in the real sense of the word? There are still many things they could take part in.

On the other hand, men and women don't compete together either, since this really would be devastating for the women. Why wouldn't the same go for the disabled?

--------------------
ahhahaha i rule u droool
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #5
Well, I think track and field events would be out for most disabled people if they were to compete in the normal Olympics. I don't think that it marks them out as lesser humans, it just gives them a chance to compete on their own terms.

It's a shame, since the Olympics couldn't come up with a rigorous way of preventing cheating, that the mentally handicapped are not allowed to compete. Apparently, in the last Paralympics, over half the mentally handicapped competitors had nothing wrong with them whatsoever.
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #6
The Paralympics are different from the Special Olympics. The Paralympics are for people with physical handicaps, but the Special Olympics are for people with mental handicaps.

In response to one of the original questions, I like the idea of having Paralympic Games because people can still be good athletes worthy of recognition even if they are physically handicapped. I don't know why the Paralympics wouldn't be getting the same coverage they got other years, though.

[ Tuesday, September 21, 2004 21:46: Message edited by: xxo ]

--------------------
Chance Forums

I was once member #2475, but then my account was deleted because of a bug.
Post count = 406 + whatever it says below.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #7
Until this year, the Paralympics, to the best of my knowledge, did indeed include the mentally handicapped.
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #8
If you think the Paralympics got too little media coverage, what would you say about this:
http://www.ioi2004.org
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #9
It's a high school programming competition. I wouldn't say it's at the same level as the Paralympics or Olympics and more than an athletics competition for high school children is.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #10
Given the vast number of cable channels available these days, it IS astonishing no one picked them up (Lifetime, Bravo, where are you?). However, it simply boils down to a societal lack of interest in anything that's not the best and the most beautiful - kalos kai agathos, as the Greeks said back in the day. Unless these athletes can compete with people who are "whole," people generally won't be interested. It's the same reason the NIT isn't more widely covered - no one cares when the higher prestige NCAA tournament is on.

As an event, I think the Paralympics is awesome. Such activities provide goals for people to strive toward, which I think is a healthy thing.
Apprentice
Member # 5009
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Corporeus the Seer:

You're 9 off, kiddie.
I know and its Donley but without the offset and according to the newest member I am the real 5000 muhahaha

--------------------
Post count 446 + Current.
--------------------
I am Dolney, A guy with some level of grammar and The rightful owner of 5000.
--------------------
"Well, to be perfectly honest, I'd rather watch grainy video of cheerleaders being introduced to lesbianism." -Jeff Vogel
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #12
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/proj/plclub/contest/

Haskellites won this year.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #13
I've only heard of the special olympics- And they seem to happen every year locally and everybody gets a prize. Its for mental handicaps not physical. I don't think that there is an actual world wide special olympics though. It would kind of defeat the point. Obviously being handicapped does not disqualify people for the olympics, it just makes it very hard.

However I have seen some stuff on physically handicapped people who have things like racing wheelchairs and other stuff like that.( This sounds rather funny but its actually an interesting sport) Though it would not be possible to race in track and field for the handicapped it often would be possible for the unhandicapped to participate in things like wheelchair races.
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #14
I think people who weren't constantly in a wheelchair would have a very tough time racing in them. If you've ever tried one out, it's pretty difficult maintain both control and speed.

--------------------
Chance Forums

Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #15
Ummm....

You've actually tried a racing wheel chair? They probably are a lot different. Plus no sport is exactly easy to get incredibly good at so that wouldn't be too much of a difference. The only problem is why would someone want to unless it was pretty much the only speed competition available to them?
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #16
No, I've never tried a racing wheelchair. I've only gone around in a regular one once, but I'd think the concept would be similar for both types.

--------------------
Chance Forums

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #17
The paralympics are also for people who are blind or have prosthetic limbs.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #18
Those one-legged sprinters are amazing to watch.

I sort of know a Paralympian (my father played footy against him, I met him once, he wouldn't remember me). He was a promising all-around athlete, but lost his leg in a motorcycle accident. He competed at the Barcelona and Atlanta Paralympics in the Triathlon.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom