POV Ray Graphics

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: POV Ray Graphics
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #0
Hi,
I am interested in the idea of POV Ray Graphics in a Spiderweb type game. I think it would be doable. http://www.rpg-project.com/ . I don't think there is something like this out yet. It would be better than the current 2d graphics. Oasen is another game which uses ray tracing
http://graphics.cs.uni-sb.de/~morfiel/oasen/about.html . I think this is an open source form of graphics which could be adapted to shareware games easily.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
I have had my difficulties understanding the principles behind Jeff's marketing policies before, but I don't think this will happen. The costs for producing graphics are fixed. No matter how many people buy it, he pays the same to actually produce the graphics. Spidweb doesn't have a sufficiently large audience to make that investment profitable, I'm certain.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #2
Hmm. There is a technical point of diminishing returns. Recent reviews have trashed the engine PC Gamer -- 50% is not good. Apparently the rest of the gaming industry is run on bells and whistles. The way they get you to buy the next best thing is to force you to buy faster and faster computing powered game with poor plot and simplistic combat. 3D and loud. I think Blades of Avernum is close to technical death in terms of graphics and game engine. Hopefully the next project Spiderweb is putting out will address this.

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
BoA has a loyal community around it and doesn't need people who are just here to whine about the graphics. If you don't like it, leave.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #4
I don't mind the graphics too much, but Jeff mustn't use the same mentality towards gameplay and advanced combat strategies. Geneforge had very little depth in strategy after a while, and while Avernum tactics are better, there is so much more room for improvement.

The turn based system (which needs to have a little more complexity) as well as strange implementations (no real area of effect spells, can't target characters out of party for beneficial spells, Capture Mind can control a Vahnatai Blade) will be the crux of a diminishing Spidweb community.

To leave behind graphics and sound requires a very compelling argument of deep gameplay without needless complexity. Ultimately, more flexibiliity with the engine will be needed.
Not flashy graphics.

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #5
It is not just the graphics. I do not like 3D graphics for the most part. The main advantage is perspective and height. Having higher definition, better perspective, and better shading effects is more important than 3d effects. It is more of a question on how the engine can be improved in a limited size download. 30 MB compressed is about tops for a 56k modem. Graphics are the most obvious component.

Loyal communities tend to be homeostatic. I think he may need a bit of growth for the future. In pure commercial terms this is the reason for Geneforge which I think has a better engine than Blades. To stay in business he may need to introduce a new engine every 3-5 years or an upgrade.

I know this may sound funny, but soon Jeff will have to increase his income and viewership. To put it simply kids cost money.

--------------------

Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #6
Ray-traced graphics are out-of-style, and I'm damn glad about it. They look like serious ass, and that's WOD (as opposed to low-polygon semi-true 3d).

But hey, call Jeff two years down the line when he feels like retreading Exile again to milk even more money out of the ignorant masses and you might just have yourself a prospective cusomer.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Milk,Juice,andToast:

Hmm. There is a technical point of diminishing returns. Recent reviews have trashed the engine PC Gamer -- 50% is not good. Apparently the rest of the gaming industry is run on bells and whistles. The way they get you to buy the next best thing is to force you to buy faster and faster computing powered game with poor plot and simplistic combat. 3D and loud. I think Blades of Avernum is close to technical death in terms of graphics and game engine. Hopefully the next project Spiderweb is putting out will address this.
3D is not a feature, and it is not an enhancement. It is a choice, and is no less or more valid than 2D.

I find many sorts of games suffer from 3D graphics, especially RPGs. They're busy and they use pixelspace on perspective that should be used on detail.

On the other hand, GTA3 is awesome, and definitely got better with 3D. 3D is fantastic for platformers, action games, first-person shooters, etc. However, in no case is it a requirement.

Note that nobody with half a ball cares anything for what PC Gamer says. Or what any professional game reviewer says. They're all drooling imbeciles, in my experience, and have no more business reviewing games than my 8-year-old cousin.

The pinnacle of RPG graphics was Fallout. NWN is at most satisfactory.

[ Sunday, September 19, 2004 06:14: Message edited by: Andrea ]

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Andrea:

I find many sorts of games suffer from 3D graphics, especially RPGs. They're busy and they use pixelspace on perspective that should be used on detail.
I think RTS games suffer most, since you really want detailed units that you can recognize very quickly on the battlefield. Chaotic battles where you don't know what's going on on the other flank may be more realistic, but they're not that fun.

Real-time raytracing sounds interesting, we'll see how it evolves.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #9
Just for the record, PCGamer gave a 50 not for the graphics, but for the lacking RPG experience. They ate up Genoforge2, 80%, which has only marginally better (well maybe a tad more) graphics. It was for the slightly awkward combat model and reliance on not-so-easy things.

I personally agree with most, but I feel a 60 is more reasonable.

Also keep in mind that 50 is in the "Merely Okay" range, meaning it's not outstanding, but it's not garbage material.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #10
How are the 2d graphics he uses done now? Hand drawn? If that is the case, then it may actually be easier for someone to render them. but they would still be chunky.

I think I speak for most everyone (except custer who is being contrary for some reason) when I say that Jeff's games are good b/c of the originalistic plots and width of gameplay. His games don't have the stereotypical feel of bad fantasy pulp. imho. so graphics will never be a primary consideration. The game engine is, though. I don't like the doors and movement in G2.

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #15 Wash your hands!!

That's skrange.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP, cleanfast productions co, inc)(Dgjzxachk)(Lord Pibble)
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #11
Allmost every veteran with relation to desp hates Jeff's storytelling it seems, I disagree with them.

[ Monday, September 20, 2004 09:13: Message edited by: StD ]

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849