Aspirations

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Aspirations
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #25
I play with the idea of becoming a 'professional' writer constantly, but I just don't get enough kicks from actual writing for it to be a worthwhile option. At least, not when I'm feeling moody.

Other than that, I'd like to study literature and maybe languages. Probably a bit of something related to computers, and then I'll just see where all of that takes me. Hopefully somewhere :P

EDIT: Oh, (anyone who isn't still terribly annoyed with me) could you be nice enough to take a look at my homepage and read maybe one, maybe two stories there? They're practically all in English, so that's no problem. I'd love to hear opinions, if possible.
I'll understand if no one is interested. After all... who would, for me?

[ Friday, September 03, 2004 02:56: Message edited by: Ministeri ]

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #26
I will be a social worker eventually. Or something related to that. So I have to take care of people like TGM ^_^

(This topic has avoided doom just barely)

--------------------
Bending, but not in the way you might imagine.
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #27
now that'd be nice dearie ^^

Also, expect either a Best Seller-book, or a record full of potential hit-singles from me. Don't know after which I'll be going once I get out of school.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Ministeri:

EDIT: Oh, (anyone who isn't still terribly annoyed with me) could you be nice enough to take a look at my homepage and read maybe one, maybe two stories there? They're practically all in English, so that's no problem. I'd love to hear opinions, if possible.
I'll understand if no one is interested. After all... who would, for me?

Oh, stop fishing for compliments and let your work speak for itself. One thing I'll say for you is that you have plenty of ideas, although I imagine your writing loses a fair bit in the translation.

There seems to be a theme of loss running through your work. It's none of my business, of course, but I wonder if you feel as if there's something important to you that you've lost.

By the way, I dig how you did the Kafka thing with the protagonist's name in Patient II.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Oh, stop fishing for compliments and let your work speak for itself. One thing I'll say for you is that you have plenty of ideas, although I imagine your writing loses a fair bit in the translation.

There seems to be a theme of loss running through your work. It's none of my business, of course, but I wonder if you feel as if there's something important to you that you've lost.

By the way, I dig how you did the Kafka thing with the protagonist's name in Patient II.

I wasn't fishing for compliments :/. Not consciously at least.
No comment on the loss. I've written enough about me that way.
You know, Edwin mentioned Kafka to me about that as well. I actually had no idea, I've only read like one of Kafka's stories. I like the Bible quotes more, anyway, but that's just me. I think they make the story kind of dramatic.

[ Friday, September 03, 2004 05:01: Message edited by: Naatti-Paatti ]

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #30
I haven't had a serious ambition for years. Staying in education is my way of avoiding this. I don't feel I have a great purpose in life or any wish to be famous, so I'd settle for pretty much anything.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by I Would Pay Your Wergild:

I haven't had a serious ambition for years. Staying in education is my way of avoiding this. I don't feel I have a great purpose in life or any wish to be famous, so I'd settle for pretty much anything.
Interesting. And you cannot decide yourself?
I was in the same situation. And finally I got many different jobs and professions. I'm still waiting until my life-aim will crystallize more sharp ^_^

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #32
I'm nearly equally interested in linguistics, philosophy, science and mathematics. To put off deciding what I'm going to study eventually, I've gone for an apprenticeship for now.
Since mathematics, as of now, is the only thing where my skill even approaches my interest, I've started an apprenticeship as MaTA (Mathematical/Technical Assistant) in Aachen.

Three days ago, to be exact.

It's a sort of mixed math and programming course, combined with a university course for Technomathematics (meaning I'll end up with a diploma as well as the MaTA qualification), and I even get paid for it!

So, naturally, right now I'm feeling rather elated. :)

I don't know where I'll go after this (in three years' time, when I'm 20), but I want to keep learning for as long as I can. Gotta use the time before my brain grows rusty. :P

[ Friday, September 03, 2004 11:05: Message edited by: Also rather a nutcase. ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #33
IMAGE(http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0403/hudf_hst.jpg)

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #34
I see you, too, aspire to kill God.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #35
Or perhaps the aspiration is to replace God :eek:
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #36
quote:
Originally written by macrsp:

Dude, Ben as god, nononononononononoNO!

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #37
I think Ben just wants to be shot into space and forgotten. Could be wrong, though.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #38
When I left high school I went on to University to become a mathematician. A semester of advanced algebra and advanced calculus later I realised it wasn't for me.

Worked for a few years in an office then went and had kids.

Spent a decade working in government welfare organisation, but was getting more stress from management than I was from the clients.

This year daughter left home, son started university, and I went back to uni. Want to be an anthropologist. Love to write, except when its to a deadline - hmm ... maybe I should forget about academia.

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #39
quote:

Become a neurologist or a speech pathologist and help me! Even my stutter isn't normal for spasmodic dysphonia!!!! Not sure if I have it yet, but I might. We're still working on finding out.

EDIT:
quote:
Nico, I have a stutter myself. I wouldn't even consider such a career.
Oh well. It doesn't matter anyways since we just found out that I have a 'clutter'. It's so rare most speech pathologists don't know about it.

[ Thursday, September 09, 2004 14:54: Message edited by: Nicothodes ]

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written my macrsp:
Fortunately enough, no. That image, for anyone who didn't know already, is the Hubble Ultra Deep Field, or HUDF, showing galaxies from almost the beginning of the universe. It's quite fascinating to study things like this, so therefore is represents my main aspiration. The challenge: see how many galaxies you can count in that image. :P

[ Saturday, September 04, 2004 10:56: Message edited by: The Great 4808 ]

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #41
Nico, I have a stutter myself. I wouldn't even consider such a career.

Most specific careers require a specific degree and/or A-levels. A large proportion of those require said qualifcations to be in some form of science. I neither have nor want to have these. As to the rest, I absolutely do not want to be an accountant, an actuary or the like and if there's one thing my parents' legal work has taught me it's that I don't want a career in the law.

Pretty much everything else doesn't require anything specific. This, and the fact that being aimless allows me to pick the course I want to do, not the course that would be most beneficial looking ahead, mean that I consider a lack of ambition a positive benefit.

--------------------
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #42
You know, I used to feel the same way about a lack of direction, but the "real world" quickly showed me the error of my ways. Suffice it to say, if I had let my lack of direction wander down the path of comp. sci. instead of classics, I'd be standing in much nicer shoes, financially speaking.

Not that money is everything - it's not. But not having enough to do things like purchase a respectable engagement ring is a bit bothersome.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #43
ever since my childhood dreams were brutally shattered, i've always wanted my own game design company. yes, i'm studying Computer Science in U of T, and yes, you can laugh now.

[ Tuesday, September 07, 2004 08:32: Message edited by: Wisemanism: the Religion ]

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #44
IMAGE(http://www.hooloovoo.com/dolenz/images/gallery/mkdj-laugh.jpg)

No, not really. Just, keep on battling for it, and shceit. ^^

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #45
quote:
Originally written by Andrew Miller:

Since most of you are pretty young (though this isn't limited to the young'uns), what do you want to do with yourselves when you get older? Why?
I plan on going to a specialty school in San Francisco after I get back from my mission. I am going into the movies. I want to be an editor and director for film.

The reason to why I want to do this is because in high school I took a broadcasting class and fell in love with movie making. I took every broadcasting class my school gave. I have won twice in state competition (carry in promo and feature) and I entered into a nation competition (which I did not do so good in).

One day I hope to be a person to make a movie that becomes a "classic".

--------------------
With his last breath he took in more power then any Guardian could hold, then with a scream of pain and furry he unleashed it all to form a barrier betwen the Mantia and the Darkness.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #46
I think you misunderstand me, AM. It's not that I do not wish to achieve anything, it's that beyond degree level I don't have a clue. This in itself needn't present a problem, as very large numbers of jobs do not require a specific degree. Which is a relief, as there aren't many places that my university applications (for Ancient History and various subjects relating to Dark Age Britain) lead directly on to.

--------------------
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #47
I guess what I meant to say was that if you don't know specifically what you want to do after college, my advice would be to get a degree in something that will pay well after you graduate. I live in the Washington, DC area, where tech, engineering, and economics job opportunities abound, and opportunities for Classics degree holders are scarce. Although I can leverage my liberal arts degree to some extent, if my degree had instead been in comp. sci. or economics, I'd have much less of a problem finding a well-paying job.

This may be a bit trickier in the UK, where I understand that students enrolling in universities specialize exclusively in one or two areas of study.

Don't get me wrong - I don't believe that money is everything, but there's something to be said for having the peace of mind brought about by being able to save as well afford the things I want, whether Spiderweb games, CDs, or a new car. :)
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #48
Kina OT, but is there a reason that all dumb girls want to be vets, estheticians, and interior decorators?

Good god.

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #49
Perhaps it is because all girls who have yet to encounter puberty want to do those things, and that seems to be your peer group.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.

Pages