Site Sucking Software?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Site Sucking Software?
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #0
Why doesn't someone get a site sucking application, and get all of the forums in one place? I'm not sure how big they are, but surely a reasonably sized HD could handle it all...

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #1
I'm not sure that Spiderweb would like to have their site ripped... You might want to ask first...

http://www.httpweazel.com/downloads.htm

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #2
I'm not going to do it, and what's the difference from 10 people downloading the topics anyway? I figured it would just save some folks some time :)

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #3
Wouldn't choosing the option "save this page for offline viewing" done down one hyperlink save the entire board? (except polls) I will do a small test.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #4
If that works as it logically should.. Meh, it'd be a lot easier. *waits for Alex to return from his research*

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #5
I would have EXTREMELY strong doubts about that working. It's possible if he's using a different browser, but still very unlikely to work.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #6
I tried quiting part way through to test, but appearantly that was not enough time to let it get down to the actual topics. Although, it did save through the links at the top of the page which I know I would not have had a copy of on my computer.

So, while I think it will work, it is going to take some time. I will now attempt to download the whole board. This may take quite a while.

EDIT!!! It's working! While it is downloading it displays the web address of what it is downloading. In comparing it to the web address of a multipage topic, it is now in the process of downloading each page of each topic. I can't test it till it's done, so we can't be entirely sure it will work yet, but it seems to be working.

[ Saturday, May 22, 2004 07:36: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #7
Hmmm... intriguing... what browser are you using? The whole board is going to take a LONG time unless you have a damn good modem! Broadband (or an equivilent) would be best.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #8
If that work, im gona get a tiny bit mad.

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #9
I am using internet explorer and have 56k dial-up. So it IS going to take a long time. However, it is (at this particular moment) downloading http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=00144 7;p=11 whatever that is.

edit: apparantly it is only 8 topics down the first page. Some one with high-speed internet try it too. go Favorites > add to favorites > (check the make available offline box) Customize > )make sure is says make 1 link deep) > hit ok and let it begin downloading.

[ Saturday, May 22, 2004 07:46: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #10
The danger with this is that IE doesn't, as far as I know, store web archives in a form that can be read by anything else.

wget is your friend.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #11
I have broadband 1 megabit conection, ill try the same...

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #12
Meh, It did not work very well.

Edit! wait! I figured out what went wrong! It saved all the threads on the first page (I checked by going offline and looking at threads I KNOW I hadn't looked at before.) but none of the other pages. This is because I had it only go 1 link deep, which means it did not go to the other pages and make copies. because it only travel 1 link, not 2.

Because of the way ubb labels the pages (1,2,3 ... 35,36,37 instead of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,etc.) the pages still need to be done 1 page at time, just not manually.

double edit: by the way, just saving the first page that way was nearly 10 MB.

[ Saturday, May 22, 2004 08:14: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #13
The subsequent pages should be less - the first General page has several BIG topics that were revived by lazy people who couldn't be bothered to copy them. :)

:eek: Who? Me? Never! :rolleyes:

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by FatBatMonkey:

The subsequent pages should be less - the first General page has several BIG topics that were revived by lazy people who couldn't be bothered to copy them. :)
Including "bandwidth problems" :P

--------------------
Austrian Alex - Reality Corp.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
Teehee....

I found a site sucking software that can actually handle this, and I set it to download the general forum. :D The only problem which I just noticed is that the forums are by standard set to display only the topics of the last 5 days... and the others are only accessible by selecting a scroll down menu, which the program cannot do. So it's a bit obsolete given that the purge only affects anything beyond 45 days. :(

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #16
*sighs* Sarachim could tell you that I thought of using wget days ago.

wget -np -m would do it. You wouldn't have to waste your time doing it bit by bit.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
I use a program called WinHTTrack.

Also, I now found a way to bypass the prune - after all, there is a URL that already includes the prune parameters set to "all threads":

http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=1&DaysPrune=1000&submit=Go

Using that as a starting point, I can get all the threads that are still available in General. :eek:

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #18
Well, when and if PPP3 happens, a sucking software someone has may be useful, but at the rate this is going, it doesn't look like we'll be able to use one for PPP2. :(

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #19
Speak of the ..... Here goes. This might be a little more powerful if you are having trouble with sitesucking.

http://www.softbytelabs.com/Frames.html?f1=Banner.html&f2=BlackWidow/index.html

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #20
HUAUGUAGH.

Alec wants me to wget the forums, so I'm doing it. Choke it down, Chinatown.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by ben*:

Well, when and if PPP3 happens, a sucking software someone has may be useful, but at the rate this is going, it doesn't look like we'll be able to use one for PPP2. :(
We don't need to (I don't even know if it works yet). Just a note for the future...

Also, I'm terminally paranoid and I just couldn't bear the thought of not having the most important (ie, RP and Discussion) threads saved to my own harddrive. What if the computer of the guy who saved them crashes? Or there was a connection error nobody noticed, and a single page didn't get saved? :P

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4710
Profile #22
t Aran: I do agree with you about the chance of a harddrive crash or the like, but at least I keep backups :) .

--------------------
Life is short. Use a Mac.