Message Board

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Message Board
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #0
Does anyone find the SpiderWeb Forums kind of inferior to other boards? I love the communication roads it provides, but some aspects of it are lacking. Navigation around the boards are sometimes confusing, and by far the most annoying thing is the screen that comes up after you post that slowly takes you back to the topic. It screws up the back button on the browser and sometimes causes double posting. I also wish there was HTML code allowed, but many boards don't allow that either.

I think the best posting system brings is the one that brings up a pop-up window for you to type in. Then the parent page is dynamically refreshed when the post is successful, therefore keeping your page history intact.

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #1
but what about those with pop-up blockers? and what if everyone else thought that was a corney way to post?

--------------------
-Sylak, the inadvertant killer of threads
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #2
I dunno. I've been to other boards before this and I personally think this one is the best of all I've seen.

Also, if you're saying that this is inferior to others, show me what you think is better.

--------------------
Espresso hasn't been invented yet. That stinks.

Xian Skull-
Avernum 3
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #3
I agree with Slasher. Navigation is easy and you get used to the UBB. And - most important - it always works. In rush-hours, there might be delays because of bandwith, but it does not break down like other boards.

--------------------
^ö^ Vegetarians are sexy.
Solar power is the wave of the future.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #4
I like it. I admit it's a bit slow though. The pop-up reply thingy isn't bad if you have intelligent pop-up blocking in your browser, i'm sometimes surprised at how well it works.

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
Actually, Spiderweb has a history of trouble when too many people are browsing at once. I'm not sure that any other board would use the bandwidth more efficiently and prevent the numerous errors, though.

Still, I think there are plenty of boards with features that this UBB sadly lacks. My number one complaint is that it keeps track of which topics have been read in a singularly poor fashion. Invision, Ikonboard, YaBB, and countless others all do a much better job there.

?Alorael, who doesn't really mind UBB or miss features. It's just a pain when his computer crashes and he suddenly has no idea which topics he has or has not looked at.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
That's why I like Today's Daily Topics: it shows me anything recent, and I just work my way up.

It's kinda useless right after midnight, though. Not that I stay up late at night posting on this board because I have nothing better to do. Not at all.

And Alo, I'm sorry, but I had to.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM, newly updated to v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #7
The daily active topics button is very handy, especially on this board. I never go look around, just use the active topics button, then place each topic i'm interested in reading in a seperate tab, makes it nice and organized for me IMAGE(smile000.gif)

--------------------
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #8
*shoots Kelandon repeatedly* PEACE BE UPON YOU

[ Sunday, May 16, 2004 18:31: Message edited by: Sir Psycho Custer ]

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
Misogynism is the wave of the future,
but it sure pisses the womenfolk off.

Shocking, isn't it?
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #9
Well, the only other board I use regularly is www.s3.invisionfree.com/Random_Stupidity. It has cool effects, but no users!! IMAGE(frown000.gif) So, now I must enlist more!

Anyway, I find that Spiderweb works well for me, and they have Karma, which rocks!

--------------------
Please visit Random Stupidity to see the amazing Spamness, or the wonderful-seven-posts-in-a-row-topic. And have fun!

Bod rules!!

Thus endeth this post.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #10
You know what to do by now.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #11
supaNik, your link is a dead end.
<clicks impatiently with one-button-mouse>

--------------------
^ö^ Vegetarians are sexy.
Solar power is the wave of the future.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
Remove the full stop (.) at the end of the link. The autolink feature on these boards is brain-damaged.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #13
I would use phpBB or phpBB2 but they can take a while to load, so I use Invision instead. I hate working with anything that uses Perl or CGI because it almost never works out for me on my first try...(actually, I haven't gotten any scripts to work with it so far, I'm cursed IMAGE(frown000.gif) )

So I usually stick with anything php/sql related since it seems to work out better.

As for these boards, they could definitely use a little boost speed-wise, and could also use some more graemlins for that matter.

--------------------
Chance Forums
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #14
Graemlins are always welcome. The website is: www.s3.invisionfree.com/Random_Stupidity It is also in my sig for you clever peeps who read sigs!

--------------------
Please visit Random Stupidity to see the amazing Spamness, or the wonderful-seven-posts-in-a-row-topic. And have fun!

Bod rules!!

Thus endeth this post.
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #15
Your forum is decidedly boring. Nobody is going to go there when there are fifty million other more interesting forumns with the forums you have, and more. If you want people to join, make it more interesting.

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
An absurdly fun Flash game- Refridgerator Raid!
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #16
Well, you should talk... IMAGE(smile000.gif)

But satellite boards need

1.) A community distinctly more homogenous than that on the Parent board.

2.) A common purpose.

That second one is hardest. And it can't be 'great RPs', the 'right to be stupid', or 'the ability to talk bad language'. Something unique. IMAGE(tongue00.gif)

--------------------
Visit The Santharian Dream and its RP board. Or the Encyclopaedia Ermariana!
Got a brain? Go to Polaris!
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
To a conspiracy for downfall and desperance
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #17
I'm the first to admit it's stale, which is why I'm trying to change it!

--------------------

Bod rules!!

Thus endeth this post.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #18
The problem is the name, and you have no theme.
Pick something, games, art, photography, girls, boys, trees, pick something and center your forum around that, and people will visit based on their interests.
Being good at what you want to talk about helps too...

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #19
Spiderweb is fine. Last I remember, the theme of the boards were Spiderweb games, thus the name of the boards being Spiderweb Software Boards. Quit complaining about it, most of us like the current way things are.

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is no dodging the quad laser." -Ignignok
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
*sigh* My second double-post ever. I was sure that the first one didn't go through, but whatever.

[ Tuesday, May 18, 2004 12:28: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM, newly updated to v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
High Level Party Maker
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Last I remember, the theme of the boards were Spiderweb games, thus the name of the boards being Spiderweb Software Boards.
I believe dampeoples was referring to the Random Stupidity boards, not the Spiderweb boards. Most of the comments in the past few posts have been directed that way. In fact, no one since Alorael has said anything negative about the SW boards.

--------------------

Rate my scenarios!
High Level Party Maker
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #22
I like the Spiderweb boards as a concept. I just don't like the actual code of the boards.

?Alorael, who has been able to stand them for a a few thousand posts. He thinks he'll manage to live through the pain a little bit longer.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #23
The Anandtech Forums and other such places have good, simple boards.

Navigation is sometimes weird because I sometimes click on the big FORUMS button and I got to a section where "General" and the like do not show up.

I also like being able to customize how many posts are shown on a single page.

Pop-up blockers that block every pop-up regardless whether or not you specifically clicked on the link are NOT INTELLIGENT.

Server side redirects and refreshes make it possible to go about the board without having to backtrack through post windows and such.

Many find this annoying, but I personally like the nested outline of threads.

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:
Last I remember, the theme of the boards were Spiderweb games, thus the name of the boards being Spiderweb Software Boards.
I believe dampeoples was referring to the Random Stupidity boards, not the Spiderweb boards. Most of the comments in the past few posts have been directed that way. In fact, no one since Alorael has said anything negative about the SW boards.

Yes, I was, shoulda quoted him too IMAGE(smile000.gif)
I still like these boards, even if they are a little slow, but that's probably the server, not the software IMAGE(smile000.gif)

--------------------