Exile Fan Games

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Exile Fan Games
Apprentice
Member # 4342
Profile Homepage #0
Hello everyone. I am a hobbyist game programmer/angry koopa and I would like to know if you are allowed to make Exile fan games. In the license agreement it's said that Exile is a fully copyrighted product or something, and that no one may steal distribute without permission.

But what I would like to know is if you can build your own game based on the Exile storyline.

If you know, please tell me. IMAGE(smile000.gif)

--------------------
IMAGE(http://www.freewebs.com/angrykoopa/bowser_sm.PNG)
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #1
No images in the sigs.
You can ask Jeff for permission if you want, but I figure it will be all right, if you don't copy anything but the story.

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
for the holy town of gods
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #2
You're allowed to if you use BoA/BoE... I'm not sure if you'd be able to write your own game from scratch though. In neither case would you be able to make money off of it, most likely.

--------------------
who?
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #3
Why not just register BoE or BoA, and do it from there?

Edit: oops, posted at the same time.

[ Sunday, May 02, 2004 16:12: Message edited by: Dancing Slith ]

--------------------
"You know a book is good, when it makes you feel like crying or reaching into its fictional realm and strangling one of the characters."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
Jeff has taken a hard-line stance against fanfiction. I imagine his view towards fangames will be equally negative, if not more so.

That doesn't mean you can't make your game, of course. It does mean that it will have to be non-commercial and not based on Exile in anything but storyline. Graphics, sounds, and engine are out of the question unless you pay the appropriate parties for the rights.

?Alorael, who would like to add his voice in favor of using BoE/BoA. There's no better medium for reaching the fans of Jeff's games, and you get to use his engine as well.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #5
I agree on the BoA/BoE thing too, many users are very happy because they have some hundreds of hours playtime in BoE, but I would say contribute to BoA! Be one of the pioneers!

[ Sunday, May 02, 2004 16:46: Message edited by: Black Griffon aka. StD ]

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
for the holy town of gods
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Automatic poster. Do not reply.:

Jeff has taken a hard-line stance against fanfiction.
And yet he markets games like BoA and BoE which as he states are designed specifically to limit scenarios within his world of Avernum/Exile which would constitute as fanfiction with some scripting splashed in...

Say what?

---Your confused maniac, Necris Omega

[ Sunday, May 02, 2004 18:58: Message edited by: Necris Omega ]

--------------------
Sanity is a relative concept. And like most my relatives, I rarely see it.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." ~ Albert Einstein
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #7
I think it's easier to understand and more accurate this way:

1. Jeff Vogel and his extended family subside on a diet solely comprising infants not older than one and one half years of age.
2. Fan fictions obviously muddy some kind of copyright.
3. Copywriting is obviously somehow good for making money.
4. Babies sure cost a lot of money.
5. It follows that fan-fiction keeps babies off the Vogel table.

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
Misogynism is the wave of the future,
but it sure pisses the womenfolk off.

Shocking, isn't it?
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #8
I would think that it would almost be an insult to try and copy the world in a seperate game. A scenario would be different, though.

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Necris Omega:

And yet he markets games like BoA and BoE which as he states are designed specifically to limit scenarios within his world of Avernum/Exile which would constitute as fanfiction with some scripting splashed in...
You'll note that in the BoE docs, Jeff specifically warns against scenarios that mess with established characters and locations. He seems to want a great deal of creative control over his world.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Jeff has taken a hard-line stance against fanfiction.
What exactly did he say about it? Because I gather that Exile fanfic has existed for years, and people keep making it.

quote:
You'll note that in the BoE docs, Jeff specifically warns against scenarios that mess with established characters and locations.
I remember reading this somewhere, but I can't find it now. It's making me nervous, because my scenario for BoA is significantly based off of a small subplot of A1, and while I don't really care on general principle if Jeff bans it -- if Alcritas could make the Za-Khazi Edit and TM can make Corporeus, then Spiderweb be damned -- I would like to enter it in the Scenario Contest. Do you know where he says this?

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM, newly updated to v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
I wouldn't take the warning too seriously. After all, Erika's Legacy was accepted onto the SW tables despite its flagrant disregard for Exile canon (reviving Erika as a crystal soul and turning Silvar into a tourist trap, among other things).

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #12
I think what all of us are trying to say AngryKoopa, is that probably trying to create a game based on Jeff's creations wouldn't work. But then again, maybe you'd pull it off to make a couple of bucks.

--------------------
Espresso hasn't been invented yet. That stinks.

Xian Skull-
Avernum 3
Apprentice
Member # 4342
Profile Homepage #13
No, no, no. You have got what I am trying to say all wrong.

#1) My game is going to be free. NO payment.

#2) I am totally creating it from scratch - music, sounds, graphics, engine, and everything else except storyline. And I would like to use it because I feel that it's hard to come by such a good one as the Exile one.

#3)It's not an RPG!

See, all I want to do is make my own game based on the Exile plot, nothing more.

--------------------
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #14
Then why bother with the Exile plot? It's only likely to get you tangled up in legalities, and it smacks of plagarism.

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
Misogynism is the wave of the future,
but it sure pisses the womenfolk off.

Shocking, isn't it?
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Custerbly Numb:

Then why bother with the Exile plot? It's only likely to get you tangled up in legalities, and it smacks of plagarism.
Indeed, it would be a clear case of copyright infringement. Either talk directly to Jeff about it, or don't use his creative work. Simple as that.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
I'd be inclined to agree. Evil-empire plots are a dime a dozen anyway, so since Jeff probably doesn't want you borrowing his, it shouldn't be too hard to think up your own.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #17
You could go to Jeff's sources and use them the same way that he did, though. I don't know what they are, but I think there are myths of underground kingdoms and various things from which Jeff "borrowed" to make Exile and Avernum. Then you could have a story relatively similar to Exile without worrying about any sort of copyright or anything. You could probably even "borrow" the lizard men and cat men, too, if you wanted.

Someone more versed in mythology than I am could probably tell you where these stories come from. I only remember vague references in something I read once. Norse or something, I think.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM, newly updated to v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4342
Profile Homepage #18
quote:

I'm not planning to sell it!!! Jeez, I'm not going to get a profit from it!!

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #19
But Jeff is planning to sell it. If people could get an Exile-copy for free, they would not support Spiderweb anymore.
And what's the point of copying a story? Why don't you just take something out of Odyssey or King Lear. There are hundreds of classical stories, suitable for games.

--------------------
^ö^ Vegetarians are sexy.
Solar power is the wave of the future.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
I'm not completely clear on copyright law, but I think using the Exile storyline would constitute violation of intellectual property rights, even if nothing else is similar to Exile.

Jeff isn't likely to do much unless this thing is wildly popular. In fact, I personally would regard it as good publicity. But giving him notification is the friendly thing to do.

?Alorael, who would rather see an original story anyway. If you're really set on continuing Exile, then the piles of advice that have already been given are good.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1220
Profile Homepage #21
Ask Jeff to go in with him make games and have him sell them you get a percent and bam. Look at this it gives you some info on the subject

--------------------
Getapc
--------------------
The Flaming Sword of not perfict grammer has now become The Flaming Sword of Pretty Good Grammar.
--------------------
Warning pretty good grammar behind.▓
--------------------
A guy with not so perfict grammer has changed to A guy with pretty good grammar.
--------------------
I shortened my signature more.
Apprentice
Member # 4342
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

But Jeff is planning to sell it. If people could get an Exile-copy for free, they would not support Spiderweb anymore.

It's not an exact copy. It's not even an RPG!

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by AngryKoopa:

quote:

I'm not planning to sell it!!! Jeez, I'm not going to get a profit from it!!

Repeat after me: it doesn't matter. Go read up on basic copyright law.

Here's a nice pretty link for you:
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #24
To quote:
quote:
Fan fiction and other work derived from copyrighted works is a copyright violation.
There you go. Once again, talk directly to Jeff or forget about it.