I have AUD$3.87 to my name

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: I have AUD$3.87 to my name
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #0
Sigh. Whinge session again. I hate being a poor uni student, sometimes I think I should defer for a semester and see just exactly what it is that I'm not missing (ie, working).

I get paid like $400 on tuesday, but just about all that goes to either rent or food - or beer. Thank god it's my b'day on the 22nd so I can go out and get hammered on 2-for-1 student deals. I also get a $50 bar tab just about anywhere. Brisbane rocks.

I wonder if I have any food left... *Wanders off looking for sustenance*.
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #1
I feel a similar pain. Though I do get paid a meager little check each month for my services here at school (I answer phones at the switchboard), most of it is absorbed fairly quickly by the demands of bills. Having a Real Job is a sweet dream at this point, even though I know it'll suck out my soul quickly. I won't be a carefree, though poor, college student much longer; I'm due to earn my BS (how appropriate!) this December. I am very nervous. Sometimes when I'm supposed to be studying, I worry about getting a job in my field.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #2
It sucks to have no money. It sucks more to work.
Which is why I'm going for a happy medium: I'm going to exclusively date rich girls.

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #3
Going to be a kept man then?
Warrior
Member # 3804
Profile #4
Although i'm not a uni student i still know what you mean by money problems, at my age i always rely on my parents for it. Which amazingly enough is the problem as my parents give me nothing.

It's getting better now though that i have a casual job at mcdonalds (it better be worth it) because i finally got my first pay yesterday! Meagre but enough so that next pay day i can get my first spidweb game! IMAGE(biggrin0.gif)

But that's besides the point. I realise you must be really busy at uni but if you have enough time and can actually study well whilst holding down a job, a casual job would be good for you. Otherwise you might have to make do with what you can get, or might have ask your parents for help.

--------------------
"This......is a TREE! What's it for?" -Exile III
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #5
As far as university students go, I must confess, I am on quite the easy street. My parents pay for my education entirely, but luckily the price isn't awfully steep, as I attend a state school, and pay only fifty percent tuition due to my father's position in a connected university.

I've never held or even attempted to obtain a paying job, although I have done and continue to do a fair bit of volunteering. I possess a bank account, entirely furnished by my father, and although it contains only a very small surplus of money in addition to that required for the payment of tuition and housing bills, that surplus is enough to satisfy nearly all of my wants. It helps, of course, that I'm a naturally frugal person, and live life in such a cautious and conservative manner that I very rarely fritter away so much as a dollar. Thus, financial concerns are more or less nonexistent in my life at present.

Of course, although it's rather easy for me to say, there are drawbacks to having all of one's expenses paid by one's parents. For one thing, I, unlike some college students that manage to pay for their own educations independently, am forced to answer to my parents for poor grades. This results in more than a little guilt, as, although my parents are very supportive and never discuss the money angle with me, I can't help but think, sometimes, that my indolence is causing their hard-earned money to be entirely wasted.

--------------------
Stughalf

"The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others."- Theodore Roosevelt, 1903.
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #6
I'm neither frugal nor extravagant; I'm quite capable of saving my money for something special. I was much worse at spending when I had both more money to spend and more to spend it on. Right now I'm starting up saving again, as I have something very important in mind to use my money for.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #7
Weehee. Seems I'm a rich man in this company.

Not really. But I still have very little problems with my economy. Working, saving money, getting help from my parents. Balance, that's the magic word.

But I agree, Custer's plan is far from bad.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
I'm at uni and living off my parents at the moment -- it's actually almost as cheap as paying the fees to live in residence at a college ($17 a day, and that doesn't include the cost of food!) Getting to uni is a little inconvenient, since it's a 30-minute commute, but eh.

I'm applying for a job soon, and since selection is apparently based mostly on academic record, I think I stand a reasonable chance of succeeding. It's not a crappy McJob either; it's a full-time position at a research institute over the winter break, plus 8 hours a week during semester.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #9
Hmph at uni + job. Uni + job is hard, and uni is hard enough as it is, although, I could do with more FOOD IMAGE(biggrin0.gif) .

Just went and had lunch with my girlfriend (I'd be dead if it weren't for her), so hey.

Md.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #10
I'm going the way of Thuryl (including the 30min commuting). Parents are very helpful, but yes, there is the guilt factor from spending money that isn't my money, and a consequent desire to save as much as possible. OTOH, final year + honours = no time for a casual job. I'll be able to get something decent next year, quite probably in a large impersonal firm on the other end of the continent, and start paying off my uni debt to the government.

--------------------
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant fins the slumbering green.
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #11
So the States has a HECS type thing to? HECS in Australia is like defering your uni tuition fees until you have a job, etc, and then they deduct it from your pay (depending on how much you earn).

People consider HECS to be EVIL, but it has an upside - the loan is interest free, yay. It's still evil though. Back in '73-'75 Gough Whitlam made uni here FREE. How sick is that? Man, wish I'd done uni then...

Md.

EDIT: Typo...

[ Wednesday, April 21, 2004 04:38: Message edited by: Majordomo ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
I think prem's in Australia too, Md. IMAGE(tongue00.gif)

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #13
In Finland, students get about 200 euros financial aid, and rent subsidies for 80% of the rent (if they live on their own and have to pay it). The aid lasts for 6 years or as long as you study.

The higher education (and lower, of course) is free - it's considered to be everyone's equal right. Only entrance exams might cost a few dozen euros.

The problem is that there are no jobs, especially no permanent jobs for young people who graduate. Consequentially, they (we) get paid less. In addition, many young people don't know their rights in the job. (Those rights depend on what job you are in.)

[ Monday, April 19, 2004 02:52: Message edited by: Milu ]
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Majordomo:

So the States has a HECS type thing to? HECS in Australia is like defering your uni tuition fees until you have a job, etc, and then they deduct it from your pay (depending on how much you earn).

People consider HECS to be EVIL, but it has an upside - the loan is interest free, yay. It's still evil though. Back in '73-'75 Gogh Whitlam made uni here FREE. How sick is that? Man, wish I'd done uni then...

Md.

I think the closest thing to that they have is student loans, where the interest is ridiculous but at least the period of the loan is relatively long.

--------------------
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #15
What do you mean by ridiculous? I mean, student loans in the US aren't interest-free, but I've heard of a lot of people (known some) who didn't pay theirs off just because it was cheaper to invest the money in a bank account. IMAGE(smile000.gif)
On the other hand, if our military was only as good as the next 5 combined (as opposed to the next 10) we could have free college for everybody in the country and then some. All well. *sighs*

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
People consider HECS to be EVIL, but it has an upside - the loan is interest free, yay
Yes it's interest free. But once you've accrued a HECS liability it is indexed every year in line with the CPI. HECS overview information

On a related note, this week my university announced it's opted for the 25% increase from next year. This won't affect students who will finish their course by 2008, but I'm studying part time, and won't finish until 2009 (or later if I go on to do honours).

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #17
In grad school you can actually start to earn some money, instead of seeing it all dwindle slowly away. It's not much, but since you're not usually stuck with the same bills and you get paid for research (at least science majors, anyway), you can actually survive!

You can survive even better if you eat only Ramen, work as a TA in addition to research, and don't mind sharing an apartment, but better in this case means maybe a few thousand $$ more per year.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ and Geneforge 2 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #18
If I was a year younger I'd be facing fees of £3000 a year payable after graduation.

As it is, it'll be about £1100 each year up-front. Unfortunately, the government don't appear to have realised that their plan to get more money for universities is still nowhere near covering the shortfall in university finances and won't even begin to start paying dividends until 2009. Still, thanks to grandparents who've avoided spending money for the past half-century and stuck it in a savings account for myself and siblings and the fact that I don't spend much money, I don't consider my finances to be tight enough for me to need a job right now.

Alec, I reiterate my warning that rohypnol only works on a first date, a relationship cannot be built on it.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #19
I consider myself very fortunate in that about three-quarters of my university expenses are paid for by grants and work-study, which means I won't have to pay at least that part back. I'm working on getting a "real job" in addition to my classes and work-study this fall, but I don't think it will work. I'll have to drop the work-study in order to do almost any kind of other work, as the hours are a bit stupid for my schedule. I have seniority among the students in my work department, which means I have first pick on hours, but that doesn't mean much with the schedule I'm going to be taking.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Schrodinger:

In grad school you can actually start to earn some money, instead of seeing it all dwindle slowly away. It's not much, but since you're not usually stuck with the same bills and you get paid for research (at least science majors, anyway), you can actually survive!

You can survive even better if you eat only Ramen, work as a TA in addition to research, and don't mind sharing an apartment, but better in this case means maybe a few thousand $$ more per year.

Which you'll spend on a doctor for malnutrition, a psychologist for anxiety, and a hatchet... for the roommate. IMAGE(tongue00.gif)

BtI: Pfft. Leave it to the British to go all limp-wristed on account of something stupid like logic, bewildered pharmacists, or 'the law'.

[ Monday, April 19, 2004 16:21: Message edited by: Nemo Custer Impune Lacessit ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I think prem's in Australia too, Md. IMAGE(tongue00.gif)
Indeed. IMAGE(smile000.gif)

I'm lucky - the 25% HECS increase won't affect me when it goes through (and I'm sure it will, even though our uni senate is still 'in debate' on that point).

--------------------
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant fins the slumbering green.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #22
Consider yourself lucky! I have $0AUD to my name IMAGE(smile000.gif)

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Kyna:

But once you've accrued a HECS liability it is indexed every year in line with the CPI.
Ahh! Thanks Kyna, I'd always wondered how (and if; I guess) they alligned it to inflation. Your CentreLink knowledge is much appreciated.

Cheers for the link too, I've already passed it on to a few of my friends. It suprises me how little information is distributed in High School on just what HECS is, and if any other feasible options exist.

Handy scholarship money came through! Just bought a stack of food and my two bottles of Margaret River wine arrived. It's indulgin' time!

Md.
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #24
It's not Centrelink knowledge. HECS is administered by the ATO, not Centrelink. I used google to find the link IMAGE(smile000.gif)

When I was sent the how-to-enrol info from my university at the beginning of the year, they also sent me a HECS booklet. When you enrol and opt to defer HECS you have to acknowledge you've read the booklet. Interestingly, my son enrolled at a different university and his university didn't send him the booklet, fortunately he was able to read mine.

[ Wednesday, April 21, 2004 05:29: Message edited by: Kyna ]

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00

Pages