Join my forum...please

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Join my forum...please
Warrior
Member # 2627
Profile Homepage #0
I have a new forum, it is Random stupidity I hope to get quite a lot of members. so please join... please.

--------------------
NUKE NORTH KOERA (No offence to any Koreans)

"Bouts of insanity stop us all going mad.":- Spike Milligan

I mod supaniks ass at Random_stupidity

NFC FOREVER!!!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #1
My joining - YAY I'm the first! - was partly due to your cool name, my lack of experience and inteeligence, and the prospect of mod-hood!

So, any way, the board looks good!

--------------------
Please visit Random Stupidity to see the amazing Spamness, or the wonderful-seven-posts-in-a-row-topic. And have fun!

Bod rules!!

Thus endeth this post.
Warrior
Member # 4081
Profile #2
I joined, gotta love the blue background
Warrior
Member # 4034
Profile #3
Yep its a nice forum I'm #4

--------------------
"When one thinks to him or herself about who they really are, They usually come out of it empty handed for the question be -not who am i-, but -what have i acheived?-"

Experimental forum
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #4
How does your board differ from all the thousands of other boards out there? Why should I even consider joining? What's special and unique with your board?

--------------------
- The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Warrior
Member # 1351
Profile #5
quote:
How does your board differ from all the thousands of other boards out there? Why should I even consider joining? What's special and unique with your board?

What is this... the Spanish Inquisition??

--------------------
Spend your lazy, endless crazy days inside my head.
Apprentice
Member # 4114
Profile #6
I am very stuped What's a forum???

--------------------
Always love Horses!
Warrior
Member # 4034
Profile #7
What your posting at this very moment also called a message board 0_o

--------------------
"When one thinks to him or herself about who they really are, They usually come out of it empty handed for the question be -not who am i-, but -what have i acheived?-"

Experimental forum
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Andrex:

quote:

What is this... the Spanish Inquisition??

Like your satisfaction mattered.. There are dozens of SW-flipoffs already, why should we join another one.

--------------------
- The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #9
Start a list:

Polaris
Desperance
Wiseman's Forums
The Club of B00G3YM3N
Chance
ADoS Revolution
Abyss
Dark Fire

--------------------
Chance Forums
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #10
quote:
from Citrus Flavoured Rodent (aka Brenitt-Ihrno?): I dont just want people from spiderweb forums though, cos that would be boring.
Let's stay here. Why should we split off from wunderful Spiderweb community?
((
IMAGE(wink0000.gif)
(())

--------------------
^ö^ Vegetarians are sexy.
Solar power is the wave of the future.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #11
From times to times you just have to get away from this wunderful SW community. You'll figure it out soon enough.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
Satellite boards are a perennial favorite, but they're also perennial failures. Very few manage to last more than a month or two.

?Alorael, who has no intention of finding another place to waste his time. He does quite enough of that already, thank you very much.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #13
I joined, as finlay, but that'll probably be the last post I make.

Remember that music topic that got to 1001 posts before Imban locked it?

You have yourself there one of your very own now!

--------------------
~ørangutan
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by The Adept Erudite:

Start a list:

Polaris
Desperance
Wiseman's Forums
?

I once went to Desp. Then I realized that my very livelihood and conscience were at risk, and that half the power on the Spidweb boards was given to people closely associated with it, and I shyed away, clinging only to what was left of the BoE Monster Arena. While clinging, my soul traveled between the realms of online sanity, and I found myself returning again and again to Desp, like an addiction, till I finally stumbled on the Lyceum ("So that's where everybody went?"). I now find many answers to life's questions there, as well as the ethics, sanity, and livelihood that I almost lost at Desp. People there are thugs. Well, most of them. Alec's all cuddly. Like a teddy bear. IMAGE(tongue00.gif)

EDIT: Oh, and Desp isn't exactly a spinoff, I think it would still come into existance without Spidweb.

EDITX2 (maybe I should put more thought into this):And if I really wanted people to join GALACTICA (hint hint) I would direct people to my homepage, which doesn't work right now, and nobody knows about because I'm too shy to advertise, because it doesn't have anything worth advertising, so it isn't really worth it.

[ Thursday, March 25, 2004 18:39: Message edited by: Desert Plah ]

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Warrior
Member # 2627
Profile Homepage #15
Surely a forum will always be bad unless it has members, and how do you get members? Pull them out your backside????? So i think you people should be less negative. Also my forum isn't a spiderweb spin-off, its a general forum where you can get away from the restrictions of a specific board like this, i.e you can swear, talk about stupid stuff, insult people all you want, etc.
Thats what i say and all i'm saying on the matter. (until i realise i've missed something and have to edit this.)

--------------------
NUKE NORTH KOERA (No offence to any Koreans)

"Bouts of insanity stop us all going mad.":- Spike Milligan

I mod supaniks ass at Random_stupidity

NFC FOREVER!!!
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #16
Just to clarify, when you say it's supposed to be a 'general board' you mean you decided you needed a message board to gratify your ego and couldn't think of anything even approaching a valid reason for it to exist?

Any spin-off forum which only exists because people are too bigoted or uninformed to use an Instant Messenger program doesn't have a chance of lasting more than a few months.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
I feel quite comfortable with the level of swearing at these boards, and if I didn't, I would be perfectly willing to release my desire for bad language in the privacy of my room. I will certainly never go to a board whose sole purpose is to be able to swear, and unless my notion of humanity in general is a peg too high, I think few will.

Yes, a forum is bad if it has no members. But it does not follow that it is not if it has.

I am also of the opinion that there are quite enough boards around founded by ambitious Spiderweb members. Satellite boards have come into fashion temporarily, but it'll pass.

--------------------
Visit The Santharian Dream and its RP board. Or the Encyclopaedia Ermariana!
Got a brain? Go to Polaris!
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
To a conspiracy for downfall and desperance
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by blueman00:

I joined, gotta love the blue background
It seems that you are unaware that the skin used for this board is the default skin for all Invision Boards.

--------------------
Stughalf

"The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others."- Theodore Roosevelt, 1903.
Shock Trooper
Member # 216
Profile Homepage #19
in all honesty, nobody joins crappy free forums, especially invisionfree. they last for a week and die. it sounds like a good idea at first, then in practice you realize that it takes a heck of a lot more than that to start a community.

--------------------
Song of the Pack -- An Online Multiplayer Wolf RPG!~
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #20
Basically, such a forum can only succeed if it provides a substantial contrast to existing facilities. For example, Spiderweb has relatively strict rules, a plethora of moderators, and active moderation of said rules. Desperance has no explicit rules, and a handful of administrators who are trusted to act on their judgement. Polaris has whatever the hell they have.

In addition, use of free systems doesn't doom a community; see the Arena (pre-Desp) and the Lyceum (pre-payment). But such a community needs to have an explicit purpose, and the ability for anybody to make a forum with absolutely no cost really decreases the signal-to-noise ratio. I.E., for every Lyceum, there's a hundred 'Lord NUTZ FUN FORUM!!!!"s.

Basically, I think the market for 'general' supplementary boards has pretty much been claimed by Desp, Polaris, and Wise (although I have no idea what state Wise is in right now). The longevity of any other such forums is probably very low.

How about somebody do us all a favor and make a forum for idiotic RPs?

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
That would be like building a cage and putting a sign up saying "anyone who thinks they are an idiot please voluntarily enter this cage so that humanity might be protected from you." Who'd enter?

In the end, a board will form where a community is, not vice versa. A community forms where there is a sufficiently large group (>30 people, >20 of them active, is my guess) comes together with a common interest and sufficiently differentiated views to spark discussion.

A satellite board can only form if there is a subtopic sufficiently large to not fit in detail on the 'parent' board, and there is a selection of individuals in the parent board, large enough to make up a new community (see above), but small enough to not make up a significant part of the parent board population.

To quote Alo, the Polaris board was a "historical inevitability", and I think that holds true for any board that grows old. A board which is founded by Chance (oh, the irony IMAGE(tongue00.gif) !) cannot be successful in the long run.

--------------------
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #22
I never said Polaris was a historical inevitability (I hope!). It was just the result of specific circumstances. It really isn't anything close to how it started now, though. It's been through more incarnations than you can shake a stick at.

Incidentally, Polaris spent a long time with only about five members. You can keep going on that little, although more people are more fun.

?Alorael, who thinks that's a decent way to make a forum. If a community forms, make boards. Then the people will stick around for at least a little while even after the real 'point' to congregating has vanished.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
Okay, so maybe I took your post the wrong way. It did contain 'historical inevitability' and 'Polaris' in two consecutive sentences.

I might have used the term without bothering to quote, but it would have been stupid to steal your words, or I might have quoted them anonymously, but didn't know if you'd mind.

A board is like a 'crystallizing' of the community. It helps to make it permanent, but the community is needed before. To follow up on the 'crystal' analogy: Aicheal-Bok, in A2, says that crystal souls are not crystals shaped first, and then infused with the spirits, but crystals created "from nothingness" around the spirits of the Vahnatai. Maybe it's much the same with forums? IMAGE(biggrin0.gif)

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #24
quote:
I never said Polaris was a historical inevitability (I hope!)
That wouldn't have made much sense, would it. You said that the popping up of forums is a historical inevitability of the internet. So a roleplaying forum - as Polaris is now - would sooner or later have come about anyway.

[ Friday, March 26, 2004 16:28: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris

Pages