Join my forum...please

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Join my forum...please
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #25
A roleplaying forum without a specific RP could probably survive, but it's unlikely to start. Polaris started because of a specific incident and then just kept going for no particular reason.

—Alorael, who can also see what he was saying before. People have a tendency to subdivide themselves, so Polaris and similar boards are likely to spring up. Usually there has to be some polarizing issue, no pun intended, to instigate the "us" and "them" mentality, though.

[ Friday, March 26, 2004 17:51: Message edited by: Alorael ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #26
There's a limit to polarization, though, because humans tend to gather in groups while at the same time trying to be individuals. So I guess there's an 'equilibrium' at which the two forces equal out, and groups stop dividing.

Probably this limit is moved toward smaller groups when the medium of communication gets more efficient and more people get to know each other quicker (as on the internet).

--------------------
Visit The Santharian Dream and its RP board. Or the Encyclopaedia Ermariana!
Got a brain? Go to Polaris!
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
To a conspiracy for downfall and desperance
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Alorael wrote:
Polaris started because of a specific incident and then just kept going for no particular reason.

This statement strikes me in its outstanding claim of generality compared to other statements from the same source that have impressed me as rather well-considered in the past.
If it did not come from Alorael, I would probably not wonder what personal perspective has lead to it and why I miss the explanation of the context that I have come to appreciate and - yes - expect from Alorael's posts.

I just wish I had more time to read and post at the moment:
As for spiderweb, I feel I cannot keep pace and Topics will disappear or change too fast for me.
From the first impression of Polaris, it appears to me that the pace is slower, the tone somewhat more cooperative and less flamy.
In addition, I feel I have the luxury to think a little deeper before I post.
Is this not a sufficient difference?

[ Sunday, March 28, 2004 13:26: Message edited by: yet another procrastinator ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #28
I stand rebuked.

Polaris first appeared when Scorpius, then a Misc. moderator, put up a banner calling ADoS a lagot. The first few conspirators banded together on AIM to get the banner removed and to have TM and Scorp punished (although TM wasn't, in fact, guilty of anything).

Polaris moved to Ezboard, then to MyIB, then to Lady J's site (now defunct), then to another site, and so on. It lost its anti-TM, anti-Scorp, anti-Desperance stance fairly quickly and moved on to being just another place to converse with a side helping of RP's. For a while Polaris (or Logalot, at least) created and posted PNN articles on Spiderweb, but that died down.

And there you have it. A specific incident, the banner, followed by happy chatting with no real agenda.

—Alorael, who is always happy to replace ambiguity with other forms of coverup. In this case, he does not acknowledge that any of the above statements are his, nor does he take any responsibility for their veracity or lack thereof.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #29
it also happens to be the future home of ITOW... T.T

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #30
Alorael, please do not feel rebuked. I am just trying to understand and Your Postliness have given an elightening answer.
Hope, I will not end up like Sokrates with my questions.
I am still thinking about your interesting post.
quote:
Alorael wrote:
Usually there has to be some polarizing issue ... to instigate the "us" and "them" mentality.

Are Desperance and Polaris stabilizing each other - maybe need each other as a raison d'être?

This would imply some symmetry of both satellite communities that I did not notice in the serious discussions on at Spiderweb during the past 3 months, like boys/girls, homosexuality, suicide, religion.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #31
Apart from the fact that Polaris is quite a bit newer than Desperance (and the recommended age minimum is at least half that of the latter :D ), that seems to have some point.

Most people here are either a Desper or a Polarian (or neither), but rarely both. I think Drakey and TGM are on Desperance as well as Polaris, but I don't know of any other exceptions.

--------------------
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Warrior
Member # 3932
Profile #32
in a word: no. im already at this and kessnet (which is finally back up!) and dont want to bother makin a new name and password and registering and crap like that. oh well.

--------------------
Clowns are baby eating murderers.

My science teacher says so.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Most people here are either a Desper or a Polarian (or neither), but rarely both. I think Drakey and TGM are on Desperance as well as Polaris, but I don't know of any other exceptions.
I had typed approximately just about too much text containing various forms of insulting various people in a serious way, but decided then to delete it, and replace it with this. Horray.

--------------------
- The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #34
Wait... did you find my remark provocative in any way? I certainly was a bit nervous about further polarizing this issue by directly contrasting the two forums (which do seem to the eye of the untrained observer like two secondary worlds that try to pull the primary world, Spiderweb, their way; Heaven and Hell, without making any claims which is which). Almost as much as I winced about Procrastinator's remark that the two boards may need each other as opposition - sort of a 'any moment, the stones will be flying' wince. :rolleyes:

But I don't see how these claims could incite someone to strong insults, even ones unposted. Or did I misunderstand your post, Bora?

Edit: To remove possible unclarities, g4ngsta was "Bora Bora" when I wrote the above a few minutes ago.

[ Tuesday, March 30, 2004 10:46: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #35
Rosy was on Polaris for a while, and I think she's a desper too. By a while, I mean a few posts. Hell, even TM showed up for a moment.

Polaris and Desperance don't "balance eachother out" because they really aren't related any more. If Spiderweb gets populated enough, there might be another board which springs up.

Polaris also feeds people hot chocolate, chocolate fudge, and mint chocolate ice cream.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Arancaytar wrote:
A satellite board can only form if there is a subtopic sufficiently large to not fit in detail on the 'parent' board, and there is a selection of individuals in the parent board, large enough to make up a new community (see above), but small enough to not make up a significant part of the parent board population.

If you want something really new:
What about a new structure for topics that have originated on spiderweb but have >100 posts? The linear structure is then no longer suitable and topics should be allowed to branch just like suicide did.

What about a "suicide" etc board where posts like the 8th in Suicide, Mental Hospitals etc by Maaya Babelicious Member # 3149 would be avoided.

Linear threads are frustrating to read as soon as the first prson posts who has not read the entire foreplay before.

If you consider a wikipedia-like structure that adapts to the discussion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page).
You might find more memebrs - because you have something to offer rather than asking them to join your community.

quote:
I wrote:
some symmetry of both satellite communities that I did not notice

That was meant as a challenge to find common traits.
Not that I knew of any. Do not kill me!

EDIT: corrected the URL

[ Tuesday, March 30, 2004 22:30: Message edited by: yet another procrastinator ]
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #37
But being all serious is no fun.

--------------------
Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #38
Polaris and Desperance started with strained relations over initial hostility, and the situation hasn't improved much. I really don't know why.

—Alorael, who was once a regular poster on both Polaris and Desperance. He gave up on Desperance, though, mostly because his brain wasn't up to the task.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #39
Rosy? Rosycat, you mean? I don't believe she's ever posted at Desperance. Not our type.

I developed a preliminary tree-style modern BB a while back that combined the nice amenities of Invision/phpBB/etc. with the tree structure of newsgroups and old BBSes. It was interesting, but I never finished it. One of the more interesting ideas was that one could split a branched conversation. (Not to mention the concept of automoderation -- that a person who started a branch had some moderation powers on that branch.) I should consider finishing it.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Warrior
Member # 2627
Profile Homepage #40
Thats a cool idea. let me know if you finish it.

--------------------
NUKE NORTH KOERA (No offence to any Koreans)

"Bouts of insanity stop us all going mad.":- Spike Milligan

I mod supaniks ass at Random_stupidity

NFC FOREVER!!!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #41
Hey Djur, didn't Rosy once try to spam something on Penguin, and stopped as soon as whoeveritwasagain shared her IP and computer info amongst all us others? :P

--------------------
- The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #42
That was Rosy as Nye. And not doing a good job of it at all.

There used to be a lot more crossovers from Desp and Polaris - Morgan, Alorael, Omlette, and others were at both.

If anything, desperance was a satellite of the Arena rather than spidweb.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #43
But the Arena is clearly a satellite of Spiderweb. Maybe not the Spiderweb boards, but certainly the games.

—Alorael, who has seen plenty of Spiderweb-related topics on Desperance and Desperance-related topics on Spiderweb. They may not orbit, but they're definitely tied.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #44
If Ptolemy were alive, he'd be spinning in his grave.

(Hey, if you were buried alive, you'd be turning around a bit too.)

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington

Pages