RPG Hybrids

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: RPG Hybrids
Shock Trooper
Member # 2300
Profile #0
Are people here into RPG 'hybrid' breeds, and if so what games? For example - the legendary, fabulous, Deus Ex . As far as I'm aware there aren't an abundance of these (contradict me if I'm wrong), so I'd be interested to see what level if interest there is here.

--------------------
Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." - Soviet infantry manual, 1930's
Posts: 267 | Registered: Wednesday, November 27 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3801
Profile Homepage #1
I beat that game a long time ago. It was an excellent game though, I enjoyed it immensely.

--------------------
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Take a chance at the Chance Forums!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Hm. Well, many Bungie games are FPS/RPG hybrids of sorts. I can personally vouch for Marathon and its predecessor, Pathways into Darkness (although both are rather old, and only available for Mac so far as I know.)
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #3
Warcraft III has some nice RP elements, combined with of course strategy.

--------------------
Saundersw3: And bitter is better!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #4
Marathon and Marathon 2 (which is available for Windows) are really story-based shooters, but they're really fun.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by ArcticWaffles:

IMHO, it's worse for them. I liked SC a lot better, due in great deal to the fact that one idiot with a big sword wasn't particularly able to take out a huge, well-balanced, and expensive army without reinforcement.

I would have liked the hero system a lot better if it had made heroes useful backup for armies in the field rather than armies useful backup for heroes in the field.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Member # 66
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Custer, Reloaded:

quote:Originally written by ArcticWaffles:

IMHO, it's worse for them. I liked SC a lot better, due in great deal to the fact that one idiot with a big sword wasn't particularly able to take out a huge, well-balanced, and expensive army without reinforcement.

I would have liked the hero system a lot better if it had made heroes useful backup for armies in the field rather than armies useful backup for heroes in the field.
[/quote]That is a gross over-statement. Any hero alone is a roadkill before a large and a well balanced army. If the opposing hero gets to the maximum level with good equipment, yes, it will be hard as hell to kill, but at that point of the game you have already lost anyways for letting your enemy get so much ahead of you. And any well balanced army take on against any hero and win. The game is well balanced 50/50 between the importance of heroes and the army. The hero system of course allows those RP elements. ^_^

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #7
Not so. With Night Elves, for example, it is entirely possible to get the Sorceress the damage-everyone-on-the-screen spell within 10 minutes of play, and then she's literally capable of beating any army on her own. The undead guy who summons the Infernal is just as unstoppable, and the blizzard-casting human guy isn't far behind.

It wouldn't be so bad were there not random monsters lying around the level-as is, the more hero-oriented players can level up to their hearts' content.

Oh, don't challenge me to a game to prove me wrong. Almost anyone could probably beat me at War3 using any method, which would prove nothing.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Lifecrafter
Member # 585
Profile Homepage #8
Deus Ex is possibly one of the greatest games of all time. Unfortunately, it's sequal, though enjoyable, dumbs it down. Gone is the skill system, cigarrettes and all the little useless things that made the game what it was.

--------------------
The many faces of Logalot
--------------------
Polaris Roleplaying and Debating Board- 'Nuf said
--------------------
Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.
George Bernard Shaw
Member # 66
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Omlette:

Not so. With Night Elves, for example, it is entirely possible to get the Sorceress the damage-everyone-on-the-screen spell within 10 minutes of play, and then she's literally capable of beating any army on her own. The undead guy who summons the Infernal is just as unstoppable, and the blizzard-casting human guy isn't far behind.

It wouldn't be so bad were there not random monsters lying around the level-as is, the more hero-oriented players can level up to their hearts' content.

Oh, don't challenge me to a game to prove me wrong. Almost anyone could probably beat me at War3 using any method, which would prove nothing.

-E-

In my not so humble opinion, this is a load of crap. This sort of opinion is formed by playing the campaign missions where yes, your heroes will become so insanely tough that they can clear the missions on their own in the end. That is pretty much the purpose in the campaign missions, because the heroes are supposed to be legendary. I would like to see anyone try to complete any normal mission in the Frozen Throne with their hero alone. And in the battle.net this just doesn't happen.

Night elf Warden is a nasty bugger, but beating an army alone? HAH! You fail to understand that the enemy might possess strategy and heroes of their own. Warden falls rather quickly when she is caught. The undead Dread Lord who summons the infernal (Which requires level 6 again which is somewhat uncommon in battle.net games - all level 6 techniques for heroes are a bit nasty, that is why level 6 is not easy to achieve) is evil, or well, the summon is evil, dreadlord itself is nothing but a walking piece of meat. Dispel the summon, and your problem is solved. Hardly unstoppable. And the human Archmage is a hero that accidently trips on a weed and dies. I just love it when the enemy chooses him for he dies so easily.

And by killing these random monsters you can gain no more than 5 levels. At this point heroes are far from being overpowering against normal units.

These "one hero kills all" situations might happen in battle.net too I admit. In a game where a total newbie meets a high level player who proceeds to totally dominate the game. Mind you, the high level player could probably win by using only footmen.

[/Rant]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 2300
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Logalot^2:

Deus Ex is possibly one of the greatest games of all time. Unfortunately, it's sequal, though enjoyable, dumbs it down. Gone is the skill system, cigarrettes and all the little useless things that made the game what it was.
I wish someone would hurry up and develop it for Mac. Having said that if the sequel is what you say it is I'm not so bothered... constantly replaying the first is good enough for me IMAGE(RPG Hybrids_files/biggrin.gif) It would have been nigh on impossible to improve, let alone equal the first I suppose. Out of curiosity are all the RPG elements gone or have some remained/ new ones been introduced? I assume augs are still there since they formed a central tenet of the whole nanotechnology thing and their absence would take away somewhat from a game built around a nano-technologically enchanced agent.

--------------------
Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." - Soviet infantry manual, 1930's
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #11
quote:

Night elf Warden is a nasty bugger, but beating an army alone? HAH! You fail to understand that the enemy might possess strategy and heroes of their own. Warden falls rather quickly when she is caught.
I think he was talking about the Priestess of the Moon. I think he also doesn't know how to disrupt a channelling spell.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Member # 66
Profile #12
Ah, you are probably right Khoth.

--------------------
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #13
quote:

Ah, you are probably right Khoth.
What's this? Agreement? What's the world coming to?

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
Infiltrator
Member # 3776
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Syntyrael:

I beat that game a long time ago. It was an excellent game though, I enjoyed it immensely.
Did you go through all the endings?I went only through Helios AI's ending.

--------------------
Some stupid laws

If it is mine,it is mine.
If I had it a second ago,it is mine
If it looks like it is mine it is mine.
If it is your's and you keep it down,it becomes mine.
If I like something,it is mine
If I see something,then it is mine.

Please click here
Do not visit this Page

Want to visit the misc.boards-This is the only WAY

-Stinging Munster
Warrior
Member # 1229
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by The Stinging Munster:

quote:Originally written by Syntyrael:

Did you go through all the endings?I went only through Helios AI's ending.[/quote]I myself went through Tong's ending. It was so... so beautiful... I couldn't bear to have the world any other way... IMAGE(RPG Hybrids_files/tongue.gif)

Deus Ex was legendary.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3801
Profile Homepage #16
I liked Tong's ending the best. The other ones were kind of wierd, especially the world domination part.

[ Thursday, March 04, 2004 11:51: Message edited by: Syntyrael ]

--------------------
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Take a chance at the Chance Forums!
Shock Trooper
Member # 2300
Profile #17
Each time I played through I played a different ending IMAGE(RPG Hybrids_files/biggrin.gif) - Yes, I *am* sad enough to have played the game in its entirety three times. You tend to notice loads of things the second & third times you didn't the first time.

--------------------
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Omlette:

Not so. With Night Elves, for example, it is entirely possible to get the Sorceress the damage-everyone-on-the-screen spell within 10 minutes of play, and then she's literally capable of beating any army on her own.
Priestess of the Moon with Starfall? hah, i can name right now all the hero counters to channeling spells:
- Mountain King with Storm Bolt
- Shadow Hunter with Hex
- Tauren Chieftain with War Stomp
- Dreadlord with Sleep OR Infernal
- Crypt Lord with Impale
- Keeper of the Grove with Entangling Roots

quote:
The undead guy who summons the Infernal is just as unstoppable
Dreadlord with Infernal is hard to kill, but not impossible to kill. a pack of Wyverns (or any other non-magic damage air units will kill said Dreadlord and Infernal WITH EASE.

quote:
and the blizzard-casting human guy isn't far behind.
i've killed a level 10 Archmage with PEONS and a Level 5 Shadow Hunter with Hex. i mean, you can chuck a piece of tofu at the Archmage and manage to kill him!

however, i've seen somebody kill an Archmage and 6 footmen using only a Level 2 Demon Hunter on the defense.

[ Thursday, March 04, 2004 15:02: Message edited by: Dead Sexy Wise Man ]

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Apprentice
Member # 4025
Profile Homepage #19
I personally got thoroughly annoyed with the heroes in War Craft III, but I enjoyed the walking buildings for the night elves..

--------------------
All hail to me, for my best time in MineSweeper is 150 :)
The Supreme Rule