What is the best Disney movie?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What is the best Disney movie?
Apprentice
Member # 3925
Profile #0
Hey all! What is your favorite "Classic" Walt Disney movie? I absolutely love the Fox and the Hound. By classic I mean, Fantasia, not Fantasia 2000, or The Lion King, not the Lion King 1 1/2. Would love to hear your response!

--------------------
I don't want your sympathy, I want a future. ~Barrett Blackthorne~
Infiltrator
Member # 737
Profile #1
The Lion King.

[ Saturday, February 21, 2004 07:35: Message edited by: Boeing ]

--------------------
Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
Shock Trooper
Member # 3239
Profile #2
Lion King

--------------------
I AM TEH BOOGEYMAN CORP.

--------------------

And since the stupid link won't work, I'll use this one:
Chance Forums
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #3
None in particular. Most of them are okay.
By the way, "The Lion King" is actually Shakespeare's "Hamlet" in lion form.

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
An absurdly fun Flash game- Refridgerator Raid!
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #4
Does Pirates of the Caribbean count? If yes, that. If not, the Lion King. Just because of Timon & Pumba.

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #5
The Lion King.

And for something new to say-
2nd Place: Aladdin.
Distant 3rd, possibly Beauty and the Beast.

--------------------
who?
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #6
[curmudgeon]Hrmph. Lion King is NOT classic Disney, in my mind. Neither is Fantasia, Alladin, Beauty and the Beast (ARGH) or any of the other abjectly horrible movies created and marketed towards 7-year old girls in the last seven years or so. Well, perhaps Fantasia was decent, but I heavily disliked the others. The best Disney movie ever made was The Sword and the Stone. Second to that, I would say, would be Robin Hood. Third place goes to Jungle Book, hands down. There are a few other good ones, but those three jump to mind. Ach, all of those are probably far before your time, anyway.[/curmudgeon]

[ Saturday, February 21, 2004 09:43: Message edited by: A Stughalfian Principle ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain - at least in a poor country like Russia - and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect." - Leon Trotsky
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #7
Snot it Stughalf!
Lion King RULEEEEZZZZ!!!

Okay maybe not that much, but its a good film!

Gotta think... The father of simba gets a son, its a lot of jowze and zowie, but a malicious looking lion gets sour because Simba the son is gona be king.
The old king dies, Hamlet gets very sad, but the old kings ghost comes up, saying that "The guy that I don't remember the name of!" (Drumrol), stabbed him in the back and that- Okay, I don't have the time to sumarize both stories, but, yeah they have a certain degre of similarity.

--------------------
Crom!
No
Beat

I HATE 1337!!!
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #8
Noooooo it has to be The Aristocats!

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #9
quote:
ADoS:
By the way, "The Lion King" is actually Shakespeare's "Hamlet" in lion form.
Except for The Lion King's happy ending... not enough people die for it to be considered Hamlet. The Lion King's body count is something like two, give or take a wildebeest, while Hamlet's is quite a bit higher.

--------------------
who?
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #10
The Sword in the Stone, easily. However, I saw it a few months ago for the first time in many years, and was surprised at the high number of references to contemporary things, such as airplanes, trips to Bermuda, etc. But it's such an enjoyable film regardless, with wonderful humor and a good moral to the story. The animation may not be of the highest quality, but it has a charm about it that is lacking in many of the more polished Disney productions.

--------------------
A.E. van Vogt (1912-2000)
The World's Most Influential Science Fiction Writer

Author of such classics as Slan (1940), The World of Null-A (1945), The Voyage of the Space Beagle (1950), and The Weapon Shops of Isher (1951)

Visit my website about him at www.home.earthlink.net/~icshi/
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #11
^ Ah, finally a chap with taste! My sentiments exactly. The simple charm present in films like The Sword in the Stone and Jungle Book simply hasn't been equalled in the more dramatic and flashy, but yet strangely empty, newer Disney films.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain - at least in a poor country like Russia - and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect." - Leon Trotsky
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #12
I've never even seen the Sword in the Stone.. IMAGE(What is the best Disney movie_files/frown.gif)

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #13
The Sword in the Stone is not directly based on the legend of King Arthur. It has modern references because it is based on the book The Sword in the Stone written by T. H. White in 1938.

--------------------
who?
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #14
British Torpedo Plane Tactics seems like the obvious candidate to me.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #15
Oh that sounds sooo Disney like! IMAGE(What is the best Disney movie_files/rolleyes.gif)

--------------------
Crom!
No
Beat

I HATE 1337!!!
Apprentice
Member # 511
Profile #16
<_< Lilo and Stitch BECAUSE IT IS AN INSTANT CLASSIC

-_- It's the greatest franchise of all time, third only the movies Death to Smoochie with Edward Norton and Hudson Hawk with Bruce Willis.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #17
I detest Disney films. After a full two minutes of reflection, I cannot think of a single Disney film I wouldn't smile about only over the ashes thereof. Let me know if they ever put something decent out.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #18
Well, The Lion King is decent. IMAGE(What is the best Disney movie_files/biggrin.gif)
As is Aladdin.

--------------------
who?
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #19
Unless you've seen The Sword in the Stone and/or Jungle Book, TM, you may wish to suspend judgement.

--------------------
Stughalf

Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #20
I can't vouch for The Sword And the Stone, but Jungle Book is an excellent film.

That being said, I can't believe Spiderweb has sunk to the level where we are discussing our favourite Disney films.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #21
Rather sad, certainly, but we've sunk far lower than this, even in the short period of time in which I've been here. At least a few Disney movies have been legitimately good, making this thread at least slightly respectable. The same simply cannot be said for STD's name change thread, just as an example.

--------------------
Stughalf

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #22
I'd have to say Bambi. I also love Fantasia. Sword in the Stone was ... meh. Jungle Book was better.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #23
Bambi or Snow White.

--------------------
Thus endeth this post.

Go to: Random Stupidity
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #24
Hey, use http://www.imdb.com/ and you will see the film there. 1943 film, if I remember correctly.

Of course, I was lying. In all seriousness Der Fuehrer's Face is the equal of pretty much anything they've made in the past 50 years.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again

Pages