Good laptops, and syndrome diagnosis.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Good laptops, and syndrome diagnosis.
Warrior
Member # 126
Profile Homepage #0
Would any of you be so kind as to answer a couple of questions?

How much does a decent laptop go for these days, and how well would your average spiderweb software game fit/play on it?

Also, does anyone know how to diagnose Asperger Syndrome? Some people think I might have it.

--------------------
Check out the DIARY, why doncha? It won't bite. Probably.

"We were heart companions,
We were companions in the woods,
We were fellows of the same bed,
Where we used to sleep the balmy sleep.
After mortal battles abroad,
In countries many and far distant,
Together we used to practice, and go
Through each forest, learning with Scathach".
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #1
The laptop im writing from right now is kinda decent; 256 mb ram, 1.3 Ghz, 20gb hardisk, (kinda lousy) 16mb 3dcard. Most Spidweb apps run more than decent on that. Don't know the price, cause i have it because of my handwriting problems.
Dunno about your syndrome...

Whew! I felt that previous section of text i wrote there got pretty terrible gramaticaly.

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #2
I don't know how to conclusively diagnose it, but I met someone a couple of years ago who had it so I'm slightly familiar with it.

It's a mild variant of autism, and affects social development. People with Asperger's Syndrome usually have few or no social skills, but have normal or above average intelligence.

If you want a diagnosis, however, you should probably see a psychiatrist.

--------------------
who?
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #3
I have it!!!! I have it!!!! And I am not lying. Wizard, you described it perfectly. However, I know little about it myself. I only know that I have been diagnosed with it. Which figures, seeing as I go to a program to be treated for it and see a psychiatrist.

It is quite true. A person who has it tends to fear being social with other people. Just talking to other people who you personally don't know makes you a nervous wreck because you are afraid to say the wrong thing. I developed this syndrome through lack of friends and rejection of a good friend I once had. I don't want to go into details because I tend to get rather angry when talking about him.

"Sherlock Holmes meets a person he has never met before on the street. "Hello" the other person says. Sherlock mutters a greeting back, afraid to engage in a conversation with the stranger. The stranger continues trying to strike up a conversation. Sherlock does his best to make it look like he is busy and needs to get along. The stranger senses his apprehension, so he bids him farewell and goes on his way. Sherlock hurries in the opposite direction to put as much space between him and the stranger as he possibly can."

--------------------
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two Corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #4
MSW you have [terrified look]666 posts[/terrified look]

I dunno, but i tend to mutter pretty much to people ive nver seen before who tries to engage in a conversation, and I usually try to get out as fast as possible, if the person is very uninteressing that is.

ARGH! Tired! Can't - write - good - english!

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #5
History will remember Asperger's in the same heap as ADD and schizophrenia: convenient catch-alls for a range of separate and distinct psychological disorders. I get along fine with people, for the most part, even though I show all of the typical syndromes for Asperger's.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
I knew someone who'd been diagnosed with Asperger's once, and who clearly had something genuinely wrong with him. I'd say his most obvious defining characteristic, and what set him apart from ordinary antisocial obsessive-compulsive introverts, was being seemingly unable to stop talking about his obsessions, even to people who clearly weren't interested.

I mean, the guy just couldn't take a hint -- even when everyone was telling him to shut up and go away he just ignored them and kept on talking. He was a nice enough guy, I guess, but not right in the head at all.
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #7
I too beleive these various psychological syndromes are just blanket explanations which clump totally different people into the same category. Makes psychiatrists look more professional when they can stick a complicated-sounding name onto something. And makes it easier to convince people they need to buy medication.

Not to say there aren't psychological disorders, but I think overdiagnosis is a rather common occurence these days.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
Nobody is perfectly normal. We're all very strange in our own ways. The trick is finding the dominant forms of aberrance, no matter how minor and unremarkable they may be, and attaching an official label to them.

—Alorael, who has seen some people have their lives greatly improved by medication for blanket diagnoses. The problem isn't the disorders themselves but the idea that everyoen must have some disorder if they're willing to pay enough to find it.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #9
See http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/ for details on the current definition of and current views on Asperger S.. DSM IV refers to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - Fourth Edition (DSM-IV), published by the American Psychiatric Association, Washington D.C., 1994, It is the main diagnostic reference of Mental Health professionals in the United States of America.

Alorael, I agree with you up to what you subsume as "the trick".
I agree that - if we let down our natural barriers against self-inspection and explore ourselves closely - we are all likely to find personality features in ourselves that - in extreme pure form - constitute the caricatures found in mental disorders.
Many medical students suffer from this when they learn about the plethora of possible mental disorders and they realize how much they have in common with the respective patients.

This is no wonder as our learning is based on first understanding the simple pure cases - which may be caricatures of everyday life - and then progressing towards the complex cases found in "normal" life.

The "tricky" question is:
Do we manage to balance our dominant traits with our intellect and psychic stamina or do we let ourselves be dominated to the extent that our life is restricted - in more than one dimension - by the same personality trait (which becomes a disorder then).
There is a fine line between becoming aware of one's own Asperger trait and trying to balance it (possibly by help of professional advice) on one hand and suffering from Asperger syndrome on the other.
A good psychiatrist would be aware of the self-fulfilling tendency of a diagnosis and NOT base it only on the the aspect of prospective earnings...

Your observation that "treatment" may be helpful is no proof for a diagnosis of a disorder.
Mental balance can be trained up to point - possibly enhanced by doping - and this may be beneficial in coping with the tasks ahead - like training helps in any sport.

Seeking the professional help of a personality coach may be beneficial and whether treatment is covered by an insurance may depend on the acceptance of a (possibly stigmatizing) diagnosis.

[ Wednesday, February 18, 2004 20:25: Message edited by: Your Fellow Procrastinator ]

--------------------
Wisdom grows from trying to find structure in our experience - looking backwards in time - while living goes forward.
Theories are expectations that help us live forward - like possible ways to put the mosaic together. If they are worth the effort to remember, they should predict something and in case the prediction does not work out with time they should autodestruct.
And then there is something that we cannot test - something we have inherited in form of customs, attitudes, culture and the spirit of stories told and retold - that is like our individual SQUARE ONE.
This runs deeper than we can know.