Anti-Americanism

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Anti-Americanism
Apprentice
Member # 3916
Profile #25
Milu: >>I certainly don't wish the US to be destroyed. I wish a peaceful end to its world leadership.

Well, the US will have declining influence going through the decades ahead, on the basis of economics alone. We (the US) are the biggest debtor nation in the world, our currency is loosing value, as well it should considering the amount of it in existence, and we're no longer the world's refuge for capital. The US is going down, and others are coming up, notably China.

>>For a start, I wish it was a nation more equal to the others, not above or leading other nations. I wish there was real equality inside it. I wish its leadership to be more diverse in its opinions. For example, there are just two parties leading the whole US and I don't see much ideological difference between them.

I don't want the US to be the world's "policeman" -- that's a no-win deal in the long run as things stand. Agreed on the lack of diversity of opinion among our leaders -- there really is not a big difference between the Democrats and Republicans on most things.

As far as the "enemies" of the US, the best way to calm them down would be to blow Israel away, or at least quit supporting it. Of course, e don't want to give up on having a foothold in the Middle East, military bases, etc., and the Jews in the US do comprise a voting bloc.

Doug
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by PorkLoin:

As far as the "enemies" of the US, the best way to calm them down would be to blow Israel away, or at least quit supporting it. Of course, e don't want to give up on having a foothold in the Middle East, military bases, etc., and the Jews in the US do comprise a voting bloc.
That's a very naive and frankly, overly-cynical view. Israel is not only a small part of why we're so hated in the Middle East - it has more to do with our meddlings in their countries than with our support of Israel.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #27
Y'know what the U.S. needs? To go to the moon and Mars, and set up permanent colonies.

That or having me as president... :D :D :P

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #28
Bush actually wants to do that. Not only does he want to do it, he's already funding it.
Would one of you please assassinate him immediately? :)
I'm definitely running for president when I'm 35, if the US hasn't blown up the planet yet.

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
An absurdly fun Flash game- Refridgerator Raid!
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #29
I disagree, Drakey. Israel meddles in the region almost as badly as we do, and their treatment of Palestinians is abhorrent. From what I've read, our support of Israel seems to be the main thing that the Arab public (though perhaps not all terrorists) holds against us.

--------------------
We were once Mao
Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #30
quote:
Originally written by The Almighty Doer of Stuff:

Bush actually wants to do that. Not only does he want to do it, he's already funding it.
Personally, I don't see what's wrong with that. Keep in mind that this is one of the things humanity needs to do even though there are problems on this planet.

quote:
Would one of you please assassinate him immediately? :)
Someone else, not me. Or maybe you could do it. (I don't like him either, except for the moon-shot thing, but he's still the President of the U.S. and not worth going to jail over.)

quote:
I'm definitely running for president when I'm 35, if the US hasn't blown up the planet yet.
So am I. If I'm still alive and/or can get funding - be the first undead president! :D

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #31
sry i didnt read all the posts, so this might not fit in.
i am not anti-american, i am anti-capitalistic. and because america is the leading capitalistic country, i would do anything to see its government be destroyed and never refounded. but its stupid to be against a specific country. a country isnt good or bad, the system and the politicians who keep it alive are.

[ Monday, February 02, 2004 04:42: Message edited by: Ferox ]

--------------------
SO WHEN I WRITE IN HERE IT WILL APPEAR DOWN THERE?
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #32
quote:
Originally written by [Sarachim:
]
I disagree, Drakey. Israel meddles in the region almost as badly as we do, and their treatment of Palestinians is abhorrent. From what I've read, our support of Israel seems to be the main thing that the Arab public (though perhaps not all terrorists) holds against us.
The terrorists us Islam to justify their cause, when it's really not about religion at all. Just politics.

I also believe we should move against Israel. They don't want peace, they want the whole country. The Israeli government keeps the whole thing going.

I don't want an end to the US World Leadership, I'd rather see be put towards bettering the world. Right now the world is a mess and it probably will be for a while. So is the US. The poor pay all the taxes staying poor while the rich pay little or no taxes and stay rich. Our medicare system is laughable. Our education programs are slowly degrading and poverty and unemployment are on the rise. What has our president done about it? Very little. I think that if we got a solid leader who actually knew what he was doing, he should be able to run for president for as long as he wants, rather than 2 terms. Poor leadership is why our country is starting to weaken.

[ Monday, February 02, 2004 09:01: Message edited by: Firedrake the Silent ]

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is no dodging the quad laser." -Ugnagnok
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #33
Whilst I agree Israel doesn't do the Middle East's stability any good, one can't just sign away Israel's existence.

On the one hand, Israel has to be leaned on to agree to a fair policy of partition (which the so-called security fence is not) and the removal of settlements. On the other, concessions towards greater democracy ought to be extracted from the Arab nations.

One might argue that this is giving in to terrorism, but that's not a logical argument. As long as there is no Palestinian state, there will be Palestinian suicide bombers. A Palestinian state may not end this, but it should at least substantially reduce terrorism. And terrorism does work. Whilst it must still be condemned, it has to be accepted. Ireland and Israel are but two examples of states established by terrorist campaigns.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #34
As well as America, arguably Germany, definitely China, any many other prominent nations still around today.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #35
While not all Israelis want a Palestinian state, Ariel Sharon has put that offer on the table at every single negotiation and it has been refused.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #36
The only answer is to stop giving either side weapons. If they want to kill each other, let them do it. It's the Spider-Man solution.

[ Monday, February 02, 2004 20:15: Message edited by: The Iron Heel ]
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

While not all Israelis want a Palestinian state, Ariel Sharon has put that offer on the table at every single negotiation and it has been refused.
Because Sharon is intentionally dealing with the murderous atavisms currently ruling the PLO. If Sharon created a Palestinian state, with reasonable conditions on its independence from Israel, and got recognition for it from the rest of Europe, a lot of the current leadership in the PLO would go against it no matter what. Quite a few want Israel out of the country no matter what that entails; they're murderous fanatics, and there's no dealing with them. Many have had too much to do with Israel to believe in a peace with them as remotely viable; they're working on an obsolete viewpoint.
If Israel took the first step in this process (e.g. saying 'This is Palestine. Here are your green flag, your passport, and your citizenship papers' to the people of the region instead of asking the leaders very nicely to give them favorable conditions for the establishment of a Palestinian state), I can guarantee you that the parts of the PLO leadership that have been actively opposing a peaceful solution in Israel -- and with whom the Sharon government has overwhelmingly favored dealing with -- would wither up and die.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Pages