New Programmer

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: New Programmer
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #0
I've wanted to learn how to program for about a year, but never had the time to learn. Now that I have my own computer, I can finally start learning.
Unfortunately, I can't find a compiler I can afford.
Does anyone know of any free C++ compilers? It doesn't have to be very good. I'm just starting.

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
An absurdly fun Flash game- Refridgerator Raid!
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #1
Yeah, isn't C++ advanced programing? I tried to learn how to program awhile back, unfortunatly the class was really bad, and when I got some self teach software, it wouldn't install unless I had a CD that did not come with the package... :confused:

--------------------
"Wow, fish."
Hahahaha, I crack myself up.
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #2
C++ is super easy, yay! And free too, if you download Borland Turbo C++ 3.0 (just google it). Don't be scared away by the DOS interface. In my opinion, it's the best way to start learning C++ because you don't have to deal with projects and such.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #3
I have Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Standard Edition, all of the instrucions on how to use it, programming samples and whatnots. Yet I still don't know how to use it. I never really bothered to learn it much so...yeah.

But hey, I might as well start right now, the earlier the better...

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Apprentice
Member # 3816
Profile #4
Well I use GCC at GCC. It's free so you should be able to afford it.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #5
I plan to start learning over the summer... I assume someone here can help me get started... I use a mac, as if that weren't obvious...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #6
For mac, try Realbasic! It's really easy to learn, and you can build complete applications with it easily.

--------------------
who?
Infiltrator
Member # 760
Profile #7
and if someone using windows wants to have C++ compiler, I suggest you to try Bloodshed Dev C++

--------------------
I am the one and only Wizard!
WIZ GAMEZ The place to get the most recent gaming news! And now it has new layout!
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #8
GCC is a hassle of readin things I don't understand and installing other things I don't know about. Dev-C++ doesn't comply with the ANSI C++ standards and thus does not work.
I need a free, easy to install, legal, Windows compiler that works. Are there any in existance? It doesn't need to have the ability to make 3-D graphics or anything. I'm still having trouble getting "Hello World!" to work correctly.

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #9
I hate to break it to you ADoS, but if you can't figure out how to install complicated programs, you may wish to rethink your career as a programmer.

--------------------
Win a free copy of Blades of Avernum!

The Don't Fix The Shark Competition
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #10
I could figure it out if I really wanted to. But I'd rather spend my time doing more useful things than installing fifty different things just to make "Hello World!" appear on screen.

EDIT: It also doesn't seem to say where I'm supposed to get the stuff I need before I can install the compiler. It just says "You must have this and this and this and this" using a ton of programming lingo I don't know. I know nothing more than this: // starts a comment line. # starts preprocessor directive lines. ; ends a command line.
Nothing more. I need one for beginners.

[ Monday, December 29, 2003 18:36: Message edited by: The Almighty Doer of Stuff ]

--------------------
---------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
Do you have a book? I've found that "C++ Primer Plus" is a good one.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #12
Now I feel ancient and very old-fashioned.

"Sherlock Holmes looks at the blank screen in front of him. Moving the mouse around on the pad and still getting no response, he curses loudly and gets up from his computer. He goes to his shelf and pulls out the instruction manual for Windows XP. Looking it over thoroughly, he rolls his eyes and tosses it over his head. It lands on the multi-colored tile floor with a thud as he looks down at the screen again.

He decides there are only two courses of action that he can take. One is to smash the computer with a hammer from the tool shed. The other seems better and he decides to follow through with it. Feeling along the back of the computer with his hand, he finds the manual power switch and turns it off. He then turns it back on and presses the on button of his computer. The computer starts up again without a hitch and Sherlock goes dancing about the room saying, "I'm good. I'm good. I'm really really good. Yeah!"

I doubt I could ever learn how to program a computer, let alone understand any of the protocol involved. My heart really isn't in it. I have other things that interest me much more than computers.

[ Tuesday, December 30, 2003 06:41: Message edited by: Sherlock Holmes - MSW ]

--------------------
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two Corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Do you have a book? I've found that "C++ Primer Plus" is a good one.
I neither have nor am able to afford a book. But I have a hefty tutorial for beginners that seems very good. Unfortunately, it does me no good if I don't have a compiler that adheres to the ANSI standards released in 1997. Or was it 1999? I forget.

--------------------
---------
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #14
What's a good book for a mac user?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Apprentice
Member # 3169
Profile #15
I am alsovery intrested in a good book or site on C++ programming for the mac. The gcc site was confusing. All I want is for someone to give me a link to a MAC compiler free or $20 or less. I seriously have been asking this for a long time. I go to IRC, I ask msg boards. It seems so elusive. Anyways, anyone who can help me, I'd really apreciate it.

--------------------
Hey! My first post. didn't even know there was a forum till recently. Woulda helped me out since I played Geneforge all the way through before I figured out how to sell stuff.
Apprentice
Member # 3169
Profile #16
Sorry for double post~

[ Wednesday, December 31, 2003 15:26: Message edited by: Shannon ]

--------------------
Hey! My first post. didn't even know there was a forum till recently. Woulda helped me out since I played Geneforge all the way through before I figured out how to sell stuff.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #17
ADoS: I do not recall the name of the guy who invented C++, but I do remember that he has links to quite a few compilers on his website.

David, Shannon: The apple website has a programmer's section which offers downloads for C++ applications for free.

--------------------
Polaris
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #18
Mac OS X has a built in C++ compiler (which happens to be a form of gcc, I think).

I've found C++ Primer Plus to be a great book - it's interesting and doesn't over-complicate things.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #19
I tried downloading Borland C++ 5.5. But apparently, they insist that you give them all your personal information so they can sell it to mailing lists. I'd like a compiler that also won't invade my privacy.

--------------------
---------
Apprentice
Member # 3645
Profile #20
I couldn't figure out how to work the compiler I got off the Apple site. It may be the tutorials, or it may be me. It doesn't matter. I'll just try again later.

--------------------
I pledge a grievance to the flag of the plighted stakes of America, and to the republics upon which it stands, one nation, playing God, blind and visible, with the illusion of liberty and justice for all
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #21
*concurs with Drakey*

The book is a very good (if heavy) guide to C++, but only if you're reasonably commited. Needless to say, when it comes to programming I have the procrastination level of a sloth and the attention span of a brainless moron.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #22
Actually, I've found visual basic pretty simple to use, if you can manage to find a tutorial for it (they're kinda hard to find)

If you don't want 3-d graphics or anything cool like that, then why do you want c++. I've heard it's difficult.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

http://s2.invisionfree.com/The_Realm_of_Eldibs/index.php
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #23
It's better than using just plain C. Way better.

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by The Almighty Doer of Stuff:

I could figure it out if I really wanted to. But I'd rather spend my time doing more useful things than installing fifty different things just to make "Hello World!" appear on screen.

EDIT: It also doesn't seem to say where I'm supposed to get the stuff I need before I can install the compiler. It just says "You must have this and this and this and this" using a ton of programming lingo I don't know. I know nothing more than this: // starts a comment line. # starts preprocessor directive lines. ; ends a command line.
Nothing more. I need one for beginners.

1. Don't use visual basic. Eventually, you're likely to grow to it's limitations, and if you want speed and don't like a load of runtime errors, it's not what you want. Another thing? it isn't free.

2. GCC is good. Get a cygwin environment and set up a good gnu tooled environment on it. Use something like vi to edit your code, then compile it with GCC or G++ or something. If you can't understand that,C++ is not for you.

3. If you don't want to install a ton of stuff, you might want to reconsider programming.

4. It's called google - search for what you don't know where to get.

5. You might find IRC a good resource. Freenode is a server dedacated to open source p[rogramming. Get an irc client (try http://mirc.com/), connect to: irc.freenode.net.

You can list all the channels by typing /list, join a channel by typing /join #<name>, and you set your nickname by typing /nick <name>.

[ Thursday, January 01, 2004 07:54: Message edited by: So Old, So Back... ]

--------------------
CMS for PHP/MySQL Supporting Webservers
The Automated Ad-Free Horizontal-Scrollbar-Proof Blades of Avernum Script Archive

Pages