New Programmer

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: New Programmer
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #25
I emailed AmbrosiaSW a while ago, and I believe they said that they use Mac CodeWarrior... anyone know anything about that?

If C++ is good for 3D graphics and "anything cool like that", then I'm definitely going with it. I have Morgan's problems (procrastination and short attention span), too, but hey. I'm an optimist, I figure I can overcome any problem. =]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Apprentice
Member # 3846
Profile #26
I'd like to throw in my two cents, since I am a mac user who has tried to program C++ for a long time on a mac. I did a lot of programming on linux machines at college, but for a long time didn't understand how to get a compiler to work on my mac.

First, after years of searching there is no easy to use mac C++ compiler out there that I could find. C++ compiler are hard enough to make that people aren't just handing them out for free.

The good news is that apple is, mac OS 10.2 and 10.3 come bundled with Project Builder a pretty good C++ and Java Compiler. If you just want to start with simple C++ "hello world" type programs, choose the "C++ Tool" project, it lets you make a program that will default to printing it's output in a console window. Other more complex project types will give you all kinds of error if you don't know how to use them right.

CodeWarrior is the granddaddy of mac C++ compilers, I bought v3.0 7 years ago and it works well too. I think that especially for a casual programmer, Project Builder is just as good and cheaper.

A good C++ book will help you a lot, as you learn the language. RealBasic may be easy to learn and let you make all kinds of good mac apps, but C++ is my favorite language, and if you start with a good book and project builder you should be well off to making basic mac applications. You won't be making a game like exile in a month or even a year, but keep at it, and you'll be surprised by what you can do.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #27
I believe, Sir David, that CodeWarrior is the industry standard.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #28
It is the industry standard. It's also $500.
I do intend to make 3-D graphics eventually. But not yet. I know next to nothing about programming. When I'm ready to code big elaborate programs, then I'll buy a $500 program. Until then, I don't have the money. My cousin gave me this analogy when I found out the price of CodeWarrior.
"Let me put it this way. Let's say you went out and bought a big expensive computer for $1500. You brought it home, set it up, and installed...
SkiFree. You spent $1500 to play SkiFree. Was that an effective use of your money?"
Obvously, it's not. Same goes for programming environments.
I really wish people would stop saying "If you don't understand this, C++ is not for you." Load of crap. Do you go up to a two-year-old and say "Do you know how to repair a muffler?" "No." "Then driving is not for you." The two year old is not supposed to know anything about cars. Someone with NO EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER with programming is not going to know anything about programming. And I won't until I get a compiler that doesn't require a complete understanding of quantum physics to install.

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
An absurdly fun Flash game- Refridgerator Raid!
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #29
I hate to break it, but C++ will not, in any way shape or form, help you to create 3-D graphics. It will allow you to create an engine to put those graphics *in*, but you will require a whole different line of program to create 3-D graphics.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #30
ADoS, try this site:
www.cprogramming.com

You'll find a section about tools in the middle of the first page with information on what tools you need, why you need them, what you need them for together with recommendations of good freeware and introductions into said freeware.

--------------------
Polaris
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by The Almighty Doer of Stuff:

GCC is a hassle of readin things I don't understand and installing other things I don't know about. Dev-C++ doesn't comply with the ANSI C++ standards and thus does not work.
I need a free, easy to install, legal, Windows compiler that works. Are there any in existance? It doesn't need to have the ability to make 3-D graphics or anything. I'm still having trouble getting "Hello World!" to work correctly.

There is not a compiler in existence that complies completely with ANSI C++. Sorry.

And GCC is essentially the standard on MacOS now, since it's the compiler that comes by default. Not to mention it's used to compile the OS itself.

[ Thursday, January 01, 2004 22:39: Message edited by: Knowledge Reigns Supreme ]
Apprentice
Member # 3169
Profile #32
Thanks for the advice quartex, I found the student version of codewarrior for only $115 so its not so bad. And thanks for the nice link ef. Thats the kind of advice I love, specific names and links.

--------------------
Hey! My first post. didn't even know there was a forum till recently. Woulda helped me out since I played Geneforge all the way through before I figured out how to sell stuff.
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #33
Okay then. I guess I'll use Bloodshed Dev-C++ and Practical C++ Programming, Second Edition, by Steve Oualline, which was on the site ef gave me. Thanks!

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
An absurdly fun Flash game- Refridgerator Raid!
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #34
If you want to make games, then go here. I ain't sure if it's for Mac.

--------------------
I get energy from your jealousy. Ever wonder why I'm so hyper?

The Abyss Scenarios, Forums, Graphics...
E-Master's Graemlins Come take a look.
Miscellaneous Get to the closed misc. forums!
Where's Waldo? Can you find Waldo in less than a minute? *Evil Grin*
End of World Da end is coming!

Pages