Panther is SWEET! (Spoilers - kind of :p)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Panther is SWEET! (Spoilers - kind of :p)
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #0
Ahhh... Don't you just loving having friends/relatives who are developers? In this case, it's my dad IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Panther is SWEET! (Spoilers - kind of p)1_files/biggrin.gif)

I pinched his Panther install CDs today and went about installing it on my iBook... After backing-up all my files over wifi to my PC (dad said installing it over Jag is shonky), I formated my poor 40GB hd and set about installing it.

First thing - WOW! The new user switching is so cool I made myself another account just so I could mess around with it. It looks like something off a corny old movie, one of those utterly useless graphical elements that widen your eyes and talk like Neo ("whoa"). It's like the Genie thing on steriods.

Everything looks brushed metally now, like Safari and iTunes and all that. Well, it's not brushed metal, but it's close. Matte metal maybe? Oh, Finder is all brushed up too, and it's got an iTunesy like bar down the side. Weird huh?

The menus look different, but I don't know what it is about them... Just can't put my finger on it.

The F9 thing - Exposé - is pretty trippy too, but I haven't really used it yet. I have to click "fn" to get to the function keys on my tiny iBook keyboard, so it's not as handy.

Application switching has the MUCH NEEDED change. You can find that one out for yourselves IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Panther is SWEET! (Spoilers - kind of p)1_files/tongue.gif)

Anyway, thumbs up. Oh yeah, performance wise it's WAY faster than my 10.2.8 system I had before, but I guess this one's clean, so I'll get back to you once I've installed everything and gunked it up.

Yay for Macs,
Md.

Note: I know this is off topic, but it's SO COOL!
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #1
How can a Mac-related topic with exactly one Mac-related post in it be off-topic?

Also..

quote:
Yay for Macs!
Die in a hole. We have Macs at school. They are sucking the Giver.

Of course, you should ignore that above one and pretend I never said it.

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #2
I swear, I am beginning to feel dumber and dumber by the minute. I have no idea what this person just said and I felt I needed to show my ignorance on the subject in hope that someone would explain it. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Panther is SWEET! (Spoilers - kind of p)1_files/rolleyes.gif)

--------------------
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two Corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #3
It's 4:46AM here, I have a Statistics exam, a Digital Networks & Systems tute, and a unit inspection by new owners of the complex I live in tomorrow. Give me a break.

Most likely your school is very behind the times.

Md.

Edit: Thank you MSW, I also had bugger all idea. Oh, and a "Mac-related topic with exactly one Mac-related post in it" can be off topic. It's in a forum whose topic is not Macs.

Dammit, this keyboard has no "kill a person" key.

[ Thursday, October 23, 2003 09:47: Message edited by: Majordomo ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 585
Profile Homepage #4
Well, I doubt your spoilers will matter that much, as it's only about one day away... I am definately going to buy it though, especially after what you said. And I hope that this topic doesn't turn into a Mac Vs. PC topic, as so many of these do.

--------------------
The many faces of Logalot
--------------------
Polaris Roleplaying and Debating Board- 'Nuf said
--------------------
Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.
George Bernard Shaw
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
MSW, Panther is the newest version of Mac OS X. It's analogous to a new version of Windows.

—Alorael, who's still stuck in the era of OS 9. Maybe one day he'll have a computer with enough disk space for a new operating system and new programs to make the upgrade valuable.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
TGM, old computers suck regardless of OS. My university has computers that are still running Windows 3.1.

--------------------
I believe there are 15,747,724,136,275,002,577,105,653,961,181,555,468,044,717,914,527,116,709,366,231,425,076,185,631,031,296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #7
TGM, you are evil!
Why are Apple suddenly giving all their new OS's names?
Is Panther OS X 10.3?
Why is it that after one day of my dad having 10.2.8 and me using it, I can't import in iTunes, Safari runs far too slow and there is a definite decrease in the quality of the WindowShading (ie. when you press the yellow button)?

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #8
Because OS X, under its sparkly shell, has all the cohesion and stability of a puddle of hog urine?

--------------------
You are my precious thing
Thing of speed and beauty,
You are my precious thing
As long as you remain beneath me
-- Big Black
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
Which still makes it a hog product far preferable to that to which Windows XP may be compared.

--------------------
I believe there are 15,747,724,136,275,002,577,105,653,961,181,555,468,044,717,914,527,116,709,366,231,425,076,185,631,031,296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #10
TLF: Apple have always given their OS versions trippy names. It's just only recently they've become popular. For example, the initial release of OS7 was called Blue by the dev team (who had their own codename - the Blue Meanies).

Jaguar was also the name given to the entire PPC RISC project - a rare peice of info.

There's a giant list of them here if anyone's interested.

Also TLF, explain your problems with 10.2.8 in a clear fashion and I'll try to help.

Md.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #11
I didn't get 10.2, but I'll probably get 10.3. The changes seem about big enough now to make it worth the money. (I don't have a meaty enough graphics card for the accelerated Quartz that was the main selling point of 10.2)

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #12
Really REALLY good reason to upgrade to Panther if you're a multi-OS user: Samba 3.

With the inclusion of the latest version of Samba, Windows file sharing compatability is now perfect. You know how in the past you had to o to "Connect To Server...", then select your server out of a list, then choose a share to mount? Gone are the days of that!

Now it's fully incorporated into the Finder. Nice and easy. Hopefully someone will release a program like ShareScan for Mac now.

Md.
Lifecrafter
Member # 585
Profile Homepage #13
There was a big scandal about apple codenaming a computer "Carl Sagen." He sued them about it, they lost and changed the name to BHA. Of course he sued again when he heard it stood for "Butt Head Astronomer"

--------------------
--------------------
--------------------
Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.
George Bernard Shaw
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #14
Then they changed it to LAW - Lawyers are Wimps. Or so the story goes.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #15
I wonder if he got billions and billions of dollars out of Apple?

Md.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
Why don't judges ever award $1 in damages any more? They used to do that all the time when the plaintiff was legally in the right but hadn't been harmed to any real extent.

Of course, legal costs would make that a very expensive $1 for both parties.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 585
Profile Homepage #17
I wonder if they gave you a 1$ cashier's check when that happened?

--------------------
--------------------
--------------------
George Bernard Shaw
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #18
I wonder could MD ta mej bakifrån..

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #19
I wonder if TGM could puhua englantilainen? (if this is wrong, I learnt it on the internet in 10 mins...)

Anyway Md, please don't call me TLM. ugh. The correct term is ørangutan, or Ø. My problems fixed themselves mostly overnight anyway.

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #20
Sorry, I find it difficult to keep up with all these name changes. I will refer to you by your member number.

Md.
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #21
No, Lemmings, you aren't in a position to demand me to do anything. Besides, I don't want to get banned because of a prick who dislikes me for disliking Macs (and doing so because they tend not to work). So let me use swedish or finnish when insulting people and we're fine. I haven't seen people whining when french is used, have you? NO YOU HAVE NOT. BECAUSE FRENCH IS WIDELY ACCEPTED. Why not finnish then? Because there are also so many finns around here? Meh, go get a clue.
Also, Lemmings, your demand was damn wrong. Next time when you want to get yelled at for using bad-crappy-foreigner-finnish, please.. Don't.

And you've got something to whine about my crappy english? Eff off, and return when you've gotten a life.

Thank you for wasting my time.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 3507
Profile #22
I'm still on OS 9.2.2 :/
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #23
Sigh.

Md.

[ Monday, October 27, 2003 21:58: Message edited by: Majordomo ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by nosreP sdrawkcaB:

I wonder if TGM could puhua englantilainen? (if this is wrong, I learnt it on the internet in 10 mins...)

Anyway Md, please don't call me TLM. ugh. The correct term is ørangutan, or Ø. My problems fixed themselves mostly overnight anyway.

Trust me, you don't want to see him puhua englantia (what you said means something like "talk (as an infinitive) englishman"

Well, unless you aren't interested in the kind of sex that his sig seems to be suggesting, anyway.

Pages