General Questions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: General Questions
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #0
In the Exile/Avernum series, the Empire spans all the known continents of the world. What I am asking is what exactly are those continents, their names, is anything significant to mention about each, and upon which is the Empire's Capitol located?
You're probably wondering why I'm asking, and the answer is simple:
1) Such information is needed for one and possibly other scenarios I plan to create for the future release of BoA (though the chances of me actually completing a single scenario are about equal to that of Haley's Comet colliding with earth...), and
2) I'm too lazy to hunt through the entire Series and find this information myself. Besides, I'm sure some of you wouldn't mind showing off your unquestionable knowledge about the game anyways.

Your surface world geographically challenged maniac, Necris Omega

PS- I felt this belonged here as it is a question speaking generally about SpiderWeb's games, spanning seven (soon to be eight) of them, and therefore it belonged on the General board. If any moderator sees fit to move this to another board then I have neither complaint nor objection.

--------------------
Sanity is a relative concept. And like most my relatives, I rarely see it.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." ~ Albert Einstein
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #1
Imperial era? Hm.
Aizo, the birthplace of the Empire, and the most historically well-rooted continent.
Pralgad, the current seat of the Empire. Most likely to the north of Valorim.
Vantanas, a hell of jungles and deserts settled by humans only for its material wealth, and even then only near the coast. Relatively small.
Valorim, a continent relatively recently settled.

Vantanas is, by the description, most likely equatorial.

Valorim is, given the climate, probably in the northern hemisphere.

Pralgad is the only continent which would have any business being north of Valorim, and Blackcrag was DEFINITELY guarding something important; the first continent being linked to the last one by land makes no sense.

This would likely mean that Aizo is pretty large -- makes sense, given what we know about the Empire -- and primarily in the southern hemisphere, as there's no sense in having a world without any southern hemispheric landmass IMAGE(General Questions_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #2
Does anyone have any idea of how big Ermarian is, compared to Earth?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #3
Custer- Why can't Valorim and Pralgad be linked by land? Nearly impassible mountains are just as fierce as an ocean, and considering that the Nephilim had heavilly saturated Valorim, I can see why the Empire would have a difficult time claiming the continent.

Vantanas decidedly has no deserts.

Aizo is not all that large.

And you forgot Doston, the slightly rocky, otherwise non-descript continent a ways west of Valorim. At the time of Exile, the established route from Aizo to Pralgad (where their respective Empires clashed ages ago) is NE from Aizo to Pralgad. Vantanas is ENE of Aizo. Therefore, no ships would have any reason to go east of Valorim or NWN of Aizo.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #4
Valorim
- most recently settled
- was originally home to many nomadic nephilim tribes
- nephilim tribes mostly slaughtered upon Empire discovery
- location of Exiles'/Avernites' reemergence base
- southernmost continent

Aizo
- the original home of the Empire
- northern (TM contradicts this)

Pralgad (alternate spelling Pralgrad)
- largest
- second discovered
- Empire relocated capitol, military bases, etc. to Pralgad

Vantanas
- located in the south
- exotic flora and fauna
- abundance of precious gems

Those are the facts I can glean from books in E3, and I imagine its the same for A3.

My own ideas based on those gleanings (these are just suggestions and thoughts, not truths:

I imagine Vantanas to be jungly and hot, filled with flowers and steep mountains and weird animals. The mining industry would be big there, and I think an aboriginal people the Empire were exploiting would be an interesting minor plot point, if not a major one.
RL continental equivalents - Africa, South America

Pralgad is relatively new, but the Empire has developed much of their newer magical or non-magical technology there. Large military forces, well looked-after metropolises with large coffers. It would be hardest, I think, to create a scenario on this continent because the Empire is based here and would basically be able to extinguish any conflict with one blow. You could have an assassination of the Emperor or create some tension between the administration - think what put Erika and co. in Exile - a power struggle involving Garzahd.
RL continental equivalents - North America, east Asia

Aizo is pretty historically well-rooted but has had a large part of its originally enormous population emigrate to Pralgad, lots of ghost towns and declining cities, but a lot more culture and history than the shiny Pralgad. I'd give it a sort of empty feel and make sure I gave the remaining population strong opinions about Pralgad (reasons for not moving there). It would be fun to design the old Imperial Castle/Palace, with all the frills of the new one but less limited access for adventurers.
RL continental equivalents - Europe, west Asia

Valorim has been given a significantly detailed background in E3/A3- I hardly need to cover it.
RL continental equivalent - Australia

[ Monday, July 07, 2003 07:42: Message edited by: Nye ]

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Doctor Wu:

And you forgot Doston, the slightly rocky, otherwise non-descript continent a ways west of Valorim.
Doston? Not in the series, so far as I'm aware.

Also, Valorim was the southernmost continent? I certainly don't remember that.

[ Sunday, July 06, 2003 16:14: Message edited by: General Custer ]

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #6
Doston isn't in the series, for the reasons I gave. Nobody would have any reason to up and look for it. It's friggin' huge, but it's not in the little belt of continents that Ermarianites of the time were familiar with.

Rosycat- Aizo is in the south, not the north.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #7
OOI, then, where does Doston appear?

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #8
TM- How do you know its in the south

also

I'm going to ignore that...

EDIT: Omlette - The Arena

[ Monday, July 07, 2003 07:23: Message edited by: Nye ]

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #9
So if Doston doesn't appear in either series, how do we know it exists?

And I suppose that Ermarian is a bit smaller than Earth, because Nye didn't mention Antarctica, but that depends on Doston I guess...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #10
1) Ermarian could have more sea, or the other continents could be relatively larger.
2) There's nothing wrong with player-invented Exile history. The name Ermarian doesn't appear in the series, either.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
I say a lot in this thread .

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #12
Actually Ermarian was mentioned somewhere, I just don't remember where. It might be only in the Avernum series, though.

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #13
In reference to the Spiral Crypt, E1 has no portals, slopes, levers, or doodads. It simply has a barrier (likely put there by fleeing humans) and many corpses (sliths, or slith-like monsters) outside the barrier and (humans) inside the barrier.

And it has darkness. And its creepy.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Sir David:

Actually Ermarian was mentioned somewhere, I just don't remember where. It might be only in the Avernum series, though.
I remember the reference in one of the 2 major topics that I've ever started on Spiderweb. That's what Jeff decided to call the world. But it wasn't until after the Exile series. Therefor it was only in the Avernum Series, if there was even a reference there. I never actually played the Avernum games much, so I don't really know.