Fun Games

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Fun Games
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #25
Dear god, where do all you people get this money from? I can only afford to play Blades, Geneforge, the Exile Series, Tetris. And Starcraft. And Planescape.

All right, I have about ten great games and a couple pieces of terrible **** I regret exist which I long to destroy but don't have quite enough inclination and youknowhowitis, but all of the good ones I play frequently and I've accumulated them over about twelve years.

Games? I recommend Escape Velocity II. And if you really don't care about graphics, play Angband. I live for it. Although the first game I played, I was killed on level 1 by a White Icky Thing.

Also, FF6 OWNZ FF7...

EDIT: Ooh, an autocensor. Ah well, serves me right for breaking CoC!

[ Tuesday, July 01, 2003 17:34: Message edited by: The Great Regression ]

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #26
quote:

Games? I recommend Escape Velocity II. And if you really don't care about graphics, play Angband. I live for it. Although the first game I played, I was killed on level 1 by a White Icky Thing.

I love Escape Velocity I, II and III. The best plot was in Escape Velocity II, the best ships in Escape Velocity III (The Polaris), the best boss and ship in Escape Velocity I (the alien battleship remember?).

As for Angband, I cant believe that game is still played. I had fun with that game once my G3 had serious damage so I had to settle for my old PowerPC and those old dusty backup games, there I found Angband, the most cheap graphics, ridiculously stupid sound, offensibly based on J.R.R.Tolkien's Silmarillion, and no plot to speak of besides going down thru tunnels and halls, 99 stairs, 100 levels to finnaly face and battle Morgoth (who I killed IMAGE(Fun Games (2)_files/biggrin.gif) ) much like in "Diablo". Ahh...those where the days...the only few good points I foud in that game besides being adictive past the 20 levels and having a ridiculously huge amount of monster, items and spells, was the fact that in some upgraded versions of it, it had a few missions. Including new clases and races to choose from, plus the ability to choose a god that could give you particular powers and offer you the assistace of "pets" to aid when in trouble only if you offered sacrifices to your god and prayed to them.

Come to think of it, that game should and could be included in the modern cell phones.

[ Tuesday, July 01, 2003 18:02: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #27
There are actually a great number of people who still play Angband and its many variants (not "upgrades").

First: The assessment of the plot you give, though simplistic, is basically the crux of most RPG's. "Go to somewhere, find <foo> kill said <foo>" or it is "go somewhere, find <foo> and return it to <foo's> owner."

Second: Graphics are not necessarily what makes a game great or lasting. There are newer graphic sets available for those who like them. As for me and probably most *banders, ASCII is the norm. Remember these games are made by volunteers, maintained by volunteers, and enhancements are added by volunteers. Many times these games are made by developers located all over the world--all on their own time.

Third: What you give up in graphics you gain in gameplay. I have never seen RPG style games have so many race/class combinations available. Depending on the variant you can have characters from the worlds of Middle Earth, Amber, Cthulhu, and even anime in a newer variant.

I would really recommend that you check out ToME (Tales of Middle Earth) . It is a huge variant of angband. In this one you can even play a race called "death mold". The newest version even allows a player to create their own game through its T-engine Lua scripting--the modules do not even have to be fantasy oriented as you make them whatever you want to script. Really worth checking out!

As for spending tons of money on games: try going to The Underdogs where they have hundreds and hundreds of abandoned ware games. They do have a lot of pop-ups but the downloads are worth it. It is not a warez site and nothing is illegal about using it and none of the pop-ups are nasty. I have cd/r's filled with games from this site...you know...for a rainy day IMAGE(Fun Games (2)_files/smile.gif)

Give the *bands a try. They are fun and oh so addictive!

quote:
Dear god, where do all you people get this money from?
A lot of the games mentioned in the thread are not that expensive. You can get Fallout/Fallout 2 in a twin pack at Wal-Mart for $9.96. The biggest thing is never buy the games when they first come out. I wait until the software is $15 or less; if the price never gets there, the heck with it. I also fill that 'software craving' by using abandoned ware sites like the one I mentioned above. Rarely will I pay more than $20 for a game. Spiderweb games are one big exception as they are worth every penny. The other thing I do is sell the stuff I don't play anymore (the retail store bought ones--not spidweb games or shareware stuff I bought) on ebay/half.com and use that money to buy more. Half.com and ebay are also good sources of games at good prices.

[ Wednesday, July 02, 2003 03:30: Message edited by: Flavius ]

--------------------
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Larry Hardiman
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #28
Ancient Domains of Mystery roxxors joo boxxorz. And it is better than Nethack.

--------------------
Saundersw3: And bitter is better!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #29
I love the EV series, my only problem with them is the open-end thing, which totally screws it up, for me anyway. I like knowing when I've won, and it's not very easy to tell in EV1, and especially EV2. In EV3 it ends too abruptly. Hopefully EV4 will have (a) better ending(s). Which reminds me, I emailed with the suggestion that EV3 should have music, and they said it would... I guess they thought I meant sound effects... who else thinks they need some kind of music? One of my favorite things about strategy games (SC, WC, AoE, etc) is the music.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #30
Final Fantasy 6 is awful. The graphics are hardly better than FF5 (which is insanely better than FF6), and the characters are vastly worse than every FF to date since FF4 (although I have to admit, they did beat FF1). Character variances and the ability to build your own strategy is decent, but I was rather angry when all of the characters on my party who were decent were the last to be available in the WoR. Every other FF to date since the move to the SNES (and a few before that as well, disregarding FF4, which pissed me off horribly for this reason) beats FF6 in the ability to customize your tactics. As its own game, it's okay, but it hardly compares to the later and earlier games in the series.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #31
FF6 and FF4 were my favourites. I think it has something to do with the fact that - well - the characters did suck. Excluding BoE I've never liked games where you play with premade characters - I prefer talking to interesting people than playing mediocre people.

Besides, the Kefka music kicks ass.

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #32
FF5 is nice because you can customize so much...
FF6 is nice because...I guess it has some nostalgia included.
But Chrono Trigger is way better than anything else. Except maybe Secret of Mana 2. Or Bahamut Lagoon.
Has anyone played Romancing Saga 3?

--------------------
Saundersw3: And bitter is better!
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #33
Chrono Trigger, now that was an entretaining little game, it was incredibly long for a snes game and the time traveling plot realy kept it intresting, I liked using Magus and the robot...by the way, wich FF was the one where you used the guy with a dog, that one was fun too. There was also a bad guy named Chupon and his friend with tentacles, what was his name....ah, Ultros!!...i think..., I hate my bad memory.

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Master Jeweller
Member # 409
Profile Homepage #34
Well done Imban!
An interesting detail is that in U6 you can learn this spell from the
wisps, who tell you that it is a relatively weak spell since it only
affects a single dimension...

I also fondly recall the Timestop and Eclipse spells from U6, and some
pointless but fun spells like Vanish / Reappear, and some weird thingies
like Serpent Bond from U7.5, and the hidden spell from U5 that turns your
opponents into rats... (RXB)

--------------------
Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heilighthum!
Deine Zauber binden wieder, was die Mode streng getheilt,
Alle Menschen werden Brüder, wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Pieter Simoons aka Radiant

Official Crystal Shard and SubTerra webpage
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #35
quote:
Originally written by ArcticFoxxy:

Has anyone played Romancing Saga 3?
Played it, got killed, got killed badly, and went off and cried. IMAGE(Fun Games (2)_files/tongue.gif)

However, in the general scope of this thread, I'd have to say that graphics DO matter more than some people seem to think - while the difference between FF4 and FF7 is pretty much just visual, the difference between games like Ultima Underworld 2 and Ultima 9 is a bit bigger, because the ability to move around in a 3D world adds to the gameplay.

(Anyone pointing out any mod that displays the FPS of their choice in ASCII graphics shall be summarily shot.)

[ Friday, July 04, 2003 06:05: Message edited by: Imban ]

Pages