Chrono Trigger

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Chrono Trigger
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #0
Discuss, and possibly a scen roughly (though not copyright infringing) based on it.

And for those who don't know: You are.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Funny you should mention that, actually. At the Gallows has a few CT references in it. (Stolgrad is a pretty obvious analogue for Zeal, and then there's the whole Moon Stone/Sun Stone thing...)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
Thuryl's right. When I got discovered by the cat, I was asking myself why it wasn't purple.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #3
Damn! You're on to me!! *quickly runs for the nearest escape exit*

Chrono Trigger was a great game from my much younger days. I decided to borrow a few of the general concepts.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #4
I never got very far into AtG. Or any of *i's scenarios for that matter. I know they're good, I just can't bring myself to do it. AtG was…I don't remember. I got past the first or second ogre mission I think, but I may have gotten lost after that, with respect to plot or no plot. Dag. Same deal with Spears.

I just recently got into Chrono Trigger. Spent so much time beating it in the last couple of days. I feel so empty now, because I've beat it twice and it doesn't feel like there's any more to do. (Cept maybe the New Game+ option.)

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Have fun collecting all 17 or so endings.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #6
Not hard when I have a walkthrough, a party that's gone through it once, and…okay no I don't have the time. Oh, I suppose I MIGHT have the time, because the emulator I use has a rewind function that I've never used…never ever.

And I've looked at a spoiler for all the different endings…I know, I'm lame. Yay.

EDIT: I was kinda hoping some of the newer members were familiar enough with their heritage to contribute to this conversation. Shows what I get for having high expectations for youth :P .

[ Tuesday, February 14, 2006 08:55: Message edited by: Desert Pl@h ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #7
As a new user, I can't really comment on it having never played it. It is on my incredibly long list of RPGs to play though. I even have a copy of the PlayStation port that came bundled with FF4 somewhere.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Apprentice
Member # 6787
Profile #8
I tried to play that once, via emulator (shame on me... I did it the legal way though!). It was impossible to get past the part where you had to hit more than one button at once. You can quite achieve that on a computer's keyboard.

--------------------
"I come for the chugga... but I stay for the wiggy wugga."-Cheerleader
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
You can't press more than one button on the keyboard at once? Perhaps there is a problem with your keyboard.

—Alorael, who also thinks you're missing the apostrophe and T after can, although the sentence as it stands is true.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #10
I was able to do that part with my keyboard (with the computer thing in the future?) but I, for the life of me, cannot remember how I did it.

Alorael—If you press two buttons at once with an emulator, it doesn't recognize it in the game (with the emulators I've tried).

[ Friday, February 17, 2006 12:31: Message edited by: Jonah Zolohahni ]

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
Xerch'de/Rate.
Warrior
Member # 5302
Profile #11
You have to options: One, you can try setting several buttons to one key so that you can do it, or two, you can get an emulator that doesn't totally suck.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
Actually, the best way to do it is to simply set the buttons to modifier keys (Command, Option/Alt, Control, Shift). You can press more than one of those at once.

The problem isn't with the emulator: it's with computer keyboards. Most don't recognise more than two non-modifier keypresses at once.

By the way, Kaemin, when you say you "did it the legal way", do you mean you actually owned the original cartridge? Because that delete-after-24-hours thing is an urban myth. (Heck, even if you own the cartridge, making a copy for emulation is a grey area.)

[ Friday, February 17, 2006 14:23: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #13
If you use a PlayStation (or any other optical disc console for that matter) emulator with the original disc, that is completely legal. Other than that, Thuryl's right. Legal emulation pretty much is a myth.

[ Friday, February 17, 2006 20:21: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
Some ROMs have been released, but not many. One could also rig up the hardware to allow a non-CD cartridge to be read by a computer, which could then feed it to an emulator. This would be legal, I think, but requires a level of technical skill beyond just about anyone.

—Alorael, who can't see any way to make legal action against backing up a ROM stand up in court without evidence of illegal distribution. Downloading a ROM instead of copying it yourself is probably equally legal. It's just that nobody makes the download available solely to those who can prove prior possession and ownership.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #15
From what I've read, having a ROM of something you don't own in a hard copy is illegal. Unless it has been released buy the company.
I may be wrong however. Most of my experence in emulating is with Mac ROMs. And that too is a grey area.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #16
This is not chrono trigger discussion. That is wrong.

Anyway, let it be known that, in my mediocrity, I'm thinking about doing a CT scenario, adapted and fixed for a BoE-possible storyline.

--------------------