Blades won't open

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Blades won't open
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #0
I decided to start playing BoE again, but when I try to open it I get an application error message saying "BLADES caused an illegal instruction fault in BLADES.EXE at 0x00000024. Click CLOSE to terminate etc..."

I tried to uninstall it to see if reinstalling would work, but when I click the uninstall button I get "UNIN16 caused an illegal instruction fault in IUN1401 at 0x00000024 etc..."

If anyone can help I'd be grateful if you do it in language intended for 5 year olds as I'm crap with any technology stuff!!!
Thanks a lot.

BTW am using Windows XP

[ Sunday, December 18, 2005 07:50: Message edited by: Princess Ruth ]

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #1
Promptly defenestrate your PC and buy a Mac. Simplest method.

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
...she'd probably prefer a solution that doesn't cost inordinate amounts of liquid.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #3
Ok dont listen to robert the fourth. Have you tried deleting it manually? by clicking on the folder and hitting the delete button? then re-downloading blades and reinstalling?

[ Sunday, December 18, 2005 13:12: Message edited by: The Forgotten ]

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #4
I still get the same message. I don't think my Blades file is corrupt, I think there's something wrong with my PC which makes it not like the Exile files.

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2626
Profile #5
It sounds like you're right. It's the machine, not the Game.
Assuming you have a good AV program and Spyware, etc. running to inspect incoming files:
Is this the only program this happens to?
Did you turn off the machine, then restart?
When you removed the program, did you run the "Disk Defragment" program before you reloaded BoE?
Because, when you run "Defrag", you can select how to "stack" the Files. Doing so, everything gets overwritten. So, the entire HD is written over.
If you don't defrag, the machine may simply write files over the contaminated sector of the Drive and never truly remove the bug.
???
me
Posts: 257 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #6
are you running exile in a compatibility mode?

--------------------

Visit the RIFQ Forums
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #7
You could try restarting the computer at that solves some problems. I know it's possible to work because Blades runs fine on my XP.

--------------------
-ben4808
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #8
I've always had problems with it. A while ago someone gave me a patch to download which fixed it, but it hasn't been working for a couple of weeks now. Restarting doesn't work, I've tried changing the compatibility to Win95, 98 and 2000, and nothing works...
What's this de-frag thing? I'm really not good with PCs!

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
'Tis the season for garage sales. Maybe you can convince a neighbour to part with an old unused computer for 20 quid or so, and use that for BoE?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #10
I live in Central London... Garages go for around £2million here and no-one knows the neighbour's names!!!
I couldn't afford any kind of computer, and I wouldn't have space to put it :(
I just want to know how to fix it...

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #11
how is the middle of winter the time for garage sales anyway?

--------------------

Visit the RIFQ Forums
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #12
quote:
but it hasn't been working for a couple of weeks now
Try to remember what you did before this happened. Did you install or uninstall a program or application? Ahbleza already asked, if you got a virus warning or deleted spyware. Check everything else. Is anything else causing problems too?

XP has a repair function. Files can get corrupt, can be overwritten or can get lost. First check for viruses, but if there aren't any, it might be a good idea to let Windows repair itself.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Shock Trooper
Member # 2626
Profile #13
Ruthie,
*Read first, before you start doing any of this.
You haven't said you have/have not an Anti-Virus Program and/or Spyware/Adaware Type Program running on your machine. Most machines do, either individually, or via your I.S.P. This should have alerted you of a potential problem.
Next, if you did pick up a bug, (Let's say via a contaminated BoE Scenario.), then it may have only affected BoE.
If you have a VALID BoE Program on Disk - no "junk", then.....
Delete everything you have that is associated with BoE. (If it's all in a Main Folder then simply delete that Folder.)
(What you've done is to only erase the "marker" for all the Files. They're actually still on your Hard Drive.)
Next, depending on which System you're running, find "System Tools" and one of the Programs should be named, "Disk Defragmenter". Or, something similar.
What this does is what a File Clerk would do if told to clean up the File Cabinet. They would take all the Files out of the Cabinet. Then clean out the Cabinet of all "junk". Then put all the Files back neat and orderly in a manner you told them to.
The Degragmenter Program sorts out all the Files, writing over everything and compacting the Files so the System will run smoother.
The thing you want the Machine to do is to write over any "junk" that may have been on the Hard Drive Disk.
This won't remove, or foul up anything. It will simply "sort things out" cleanly.
Most people run their Disk Cleaning Programs a minimum of once per month, and I'd recommend weekly if you spend any time at all, on the 'Net. This includes Disk Cleanup, and any others you want to. It may take a couple of hours, so do it at a time you're not using the Machine, like at night while you're watching TV. By the time you go to bed the Machine will have gone through a "House Cleaning".
Last comment. You can't hurt the machine by running these Programs too much. They only make it clean and effective. It's a preventative maintenance thing.
me
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #14
When you say delete everything to do with BOE, do I have to get rid of my scenarios and save files too, or just the main programme?

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #15
Unless a virus is in one of the scenarios, it should be ok to let them where they are.

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Shock Trooper
Member # 2626
Profile #16
Not knowing where the bug came in, nor what it has affected, you should remove everything to clean it out.
I've done the same as you're asking, saved some of the files, but eventually had to remove everything, then start all over.
Give it a try, to only remove the BoE files, keeping your *.sav files and the Scenarios. The worse that can happen is the contamination is on them, so you'll have to do the whole thing anyhow. It's probably worth the try.
I'm more concerned that you have a bug that's deeper in your system and you'll eventually have to reformat the Hard Drive. I'd think that if you caught something from a Scenario, other Players would have let us all know. And as "new" as I am to BoE, I haven't heard anyone say anything about catching something here.
You'll know if the problem keeps coming back. Myself, I've reformatted twice on this machine, but I don't surf like most people do.
Give it a whirl. It is a frustrating experience, but, like finding secrets in a Scenario, more than worth the effort in the long run.
I have a son who programs for a living and he reformats as a matter of normal maintenance.
me
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #17
If all else fails, you can try to reinstall BoE in a diffent directory. It's not like leaving the old installation on your hard drive will hurt anything. BoE doesn't take up all that much space at all.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.