Hero of old spell

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Hero of old spell
Warrior
Member # 961
Profile #0
I'm heading to the Spire of Ages for the last quest. I'm obviously trying to make sure that I've covered every last mission. I don't have the Hero of Old spell. I've looked everywhere and finally went to spoilers. Spoilers tell me that I can find that spell at the Vale of the Sould. My question is: Can I find it in the Vale of the Sould? Or can I only get it from Samael when I give him the glowing stones. I already gave them to the Rose Lady. So am I screwed?

---Zelda

--------------------
Hey, where are we going? And what's with the handbasket?
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
Yes. You can only learn the spell from Sammael by turning in the stones. The good news is that the spell in Nethergate: Resurrection is a pale imitation of the original game where it gave invulnerability and all the abuses that players did with it. You won't really miss the spell since it basically just buffs the caster with bless, protection, and haste. Even Romans don't really benefit from it and they can only give the stones to Sammael.

Go ahead and enjoy the end game.
Warrior
Member # 961
Profile #2
Hey, you so know that bless, protection and haste are sort of good!! But you're right..not nearly as good as the original. I've been able to live quite well and prosper without it up to this point. So I'll muddle through and not cheat with the editor.

Thankee again, Randomizer! My wise Nethergate sage, you!

---Zelda

[ Wednesday, October 24, 2007 18:29: Message edited by: Zelda ]

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
Also note that Hero of Old has an absurdly high casting cost compared to casting each effect individually, and it doesn't last any longer either, nor is it stronger in any respect. It might be convenient at times when you have spell points to spare, but it's honestly one of the least useful spells in the game.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Making poorly-sourced claims is not the same as determining something."
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
It's only good when you need all the buffs at once. There are plenty of items available to cast the spell for those few times that you might need it.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #5
Back in the day, Hero of Old was probably the most powerful and useful spell in Nethergate. It's so disappointing how much Jeff nerfed it in N:R.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #6
This seems to be the ongoing trend. Instead of having something truly rare and spectacular, we have things becoming more accessible and more nerfed, common, and averaged. I prefer and keep arguing more for the former, with legendary items, super swords, and a couple of super offense/defense spells or wands. That's not necessarily what we are getting, however.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Warrior
Member # 961
Profile #7
From your mouth to Jeff's ears, Synergy. The gift of having something special adds to the whole gaming fun. So along with Randomizer, you're pretty much my Nethergate hero guy. May you continue as a knight in shining mauling leather armor.

---Zelda

[ Tuesday, October 30, 2007 17:54: Message edited by: Zelda ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #8
Unfortunately, I keep facing the knight who says, "Nyet!"

-S-

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

This seems to be the ongoing trend. Instead of having something truly rare and spectacular, we have things becoming more accessible and more nerfed, common, and averaged. I prefer and keep arguing more for the former, with legendary items, super swords, and a couple of super offense/defense spells or wands. That's not necessarily what we are getting, however.
Quoted for truth and agreement.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Making poorly-sourced claims is not the same as determining something."
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #10
But for everyone who wants the super item, there seem to be several who will complain that it 'breaks' the game.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #11
I dunno. I will always hold in awe my memories of my experiences acquiring the Fury Crossbow and Ring of Endless Magery in A3. The latter didn't exactly justify the effort required, but the crossbow was pretty darn cool. It IS a trick to not break a game with a super item or ability, but I think it's worth overcoming the balance challenge to find a way to include at least a few exceptional things in a game. Boredom is worse than lack of perfect balance. One can always ramp up to Torment too.

One way to utilize über-items is to make some optional areas or quests you are only going to be able to survive with a specialized item or ability, but which might not give undue advantage in most normal situations. Or maybe it will in some situations. Maybe spells and damages need to become even more specialized.

And maybe this needs to morph on over into the RPG mechanics thread.

... I miss the old use of Berserker too ...

-S-

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 961
Profile #12
Again, I throw in with Synergy. It's so much fun to get a weapon or spell or whatever that just completely rocks. Obviously you don't expect it to roll over everything...but to have it make an obvious difference..well..it's fun. Because you know you've worked hard to get it. It 's like your dang due!! I've actually never heard anyone complain that they've gotten something that made the game too easy. But to get something special because of your trouble and toil..it's always good. Hope that makes sense.

---Zelda

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 961
Profile #13
quote:
Unfortunately, I keep facing the knight who says, "Nyet!"

-S-
Find me a shrubbery!!

--Zelda

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #14
Remember parry in the old Geneforge games?

--------------------
"I must admit, killing mortals is much easier then killing demons. If you remove a demon's head, all you end up with is something that tries to bite your ankles." -Valen
Noob: lol 1337 lol woot
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #15
Jeff nerfed parry in later games. Something about it being abused so you rarely took damage.

I know Jeff nerfed Roman druids after I showed him how over powered they were even though they couldn't do as much as Celtic druids.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #16
Y'now, we beta-testers really should stop pointing these things out to Jeff, ya think? ;)

-s-

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 961
Profile #17
Since he's already considered and rejected them. Yep.

Take care.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

Y'now, we beta-testers really should stop pointing these things out to Jeff, ya think? ;)

-s-

Good idea, let Jeff wait to version 1,0.1 after release to fix the game balance. He's nerfing all the good game exploits.