Does anybody use the berzerk skill?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Does anybody use the berzerk skill?
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #0
It says that the skill makes you 5% more likely to hit your enemies, but your enemies are also 5% more likely to hit you. So wouldn't that mean if your berzerk skill was 20 or more the enemies would almost never miss? And why would it also be a character trait (considered a bad one at that)?
Apprentice
Member # 2810
Profile #1
I commonly use both the skill and the trait, it adds a lot of feeling to the game.
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #2
I've only recently started playing Nethergate (finished one game as the Celts, halfway through my first game as the Romans).

As the Celts I didn't find the damage too excessive - I gave both my fighters the berzerk trait and lots of points in the skill. My reason for choosing the option was that with a pair of druids backing up as healers why worry about the damage taken while you're dealing more damage.

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 2810
Profile #3
By the way, buying about one point of Defense for every point of Berserk reduces the enemy to hit bonus. I usually do so and I´m yet to discard that tactic as worthless.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #4
I try to steer clear of all that nasty woad myself. So unattractive!
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #5
I give all of my players the berzerk trait. It doesn't seem to hurt much, and it has some nice benefits. This is especially true if I'm going to be investing in the berzerk skill.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #6
Yeah, I can't understand why Jeff put the Berserker trait on the disadvantage list. It's more of an advantage, particularly when combined with Toughness or Regeneration. I use the trait more than the skill.

--------------------
PhoenixNinjas!
Ninja-Moderation!
What we need is Urban Wisdom!
Vote Wise Man!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
The trait is fairly neutral in effect, but it increases the experience you gain. I stick it on all my characters and use some of the extra skill points for a bit more defense and hardiness.

The skill is also more or less neutral, but instead of increasing the skill points you get it takes skill points. I steer clear of it for the most part, although a few points at the lowest skill point cost are an effective way to raise your damage at the very beginning of the game.

—Alorael, who would boost the skill more if there were a time in Nethergate when his characters were virtually impossible to hit. Unlike his Avernum parties, his Nethergate parties are always threatened by certain tough monsters even at the end of the game.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 2810
Profile #8
By the way, could it be that the skill was meant to be a celtic version of Roman Training? They do share some common traits, even though Roman Training is the better (figures, as they´re supposed to be the best fighters)
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #9
I tend to use the Berzerk trait on Roman fihgters too. It's not historically true, but nor is four Roman soldiers fighting alone without formation, or elves and magic and the bulk of the game.
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #10
I use it on my playing romans, but never when playing as celts.. Weird, perhaps, but hey, I'm a demo player! :P

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #11
I never saw the point of beserk skill, the skill points you use for it could be better used in making you stronger or more skilled in weaponry, without the downside of being easier to hit.

As for the trait, it does bestow some advantages in having it so it's an ok trade-off. Meh.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1133
Profile #12
The only time I ever would have wanted to go berserk was when I was playing the romans, and then I couldn't (My hireling was a druid, so I found it stupid to use woad on her).

--------------------
Soy un perdedor... I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
----------------------------------
"We're more popular now than Jesus, I don't know which will disappear first, Rock'n'Roll or Christianity."
It's Christianity!
----------------------------------
There was some time I called myself manic derpressive. Well, I wasn't. I just didn't know what 'Manic' meant.
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #13
Hello darkwind. Join me in my avernum vs. exile series. I always get a huge amount of berzerk skill so I can kill my enemies before they can hit. But better yet, kill from afar.

[ Sunday, April 20, 2003 14:46: Message edited by: Party Animal ]

--------------------
All your base are belong to us!!!!
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/slp29/ayb.html
Warrior
Member # 2871
Profile #14
The aggravating part about nethergate is that slings and even javelins never seems to do much damage no matter how much skill I pump into them. Killing from afar sounds easier than it is. Also, some of the distance spells cost quite a bit, and sometimes you end up drained from blasting goblins when you meet a tougher enemy.

--------------------
H-E-L-P. I think my alphabet soup is trying to tell me something.