I, II, or III

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: I, II, or III
Apprentice
Member # 10063
Profile #0
which or the exile series did you find the most fun or just liked the most for any other reason?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 28 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=NWirHUmodcRH"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=NWirHUmodcRH"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
behold the semi-functional glory www.legionaryproductions.sitesled.com
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #1
Exile II..first ever SpidWeb game I played..it changed my point of view in life..

--------------------
But after revenge is taken, nothing remains but a painful scar...
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Looking for group to slaughter the world..
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
Exile II had the best plot and Exile III had the most to do. Exile I had that neat feature of recharging wands, but the engine was too primitive to play much after the other two games.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2626
Profile #3
Excluding all the programming specifics that are well beyone my ability, and although E-II wasn't too elaborate and did have a choice that made it two games in one, I prefer a simple, enjoyable 'game' rather than a huge, randomly laid out, 'project'.
I feel a game should be a game, not a career.
For its time in history and in the vein of the Ultima series', I thought that E-I was a great game.
me
Posts: 257 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 10063
Profile #4
I never really got into exile 1 although it looks fun and in exile 2 you have to spend forever levelin up before you can go onto the actual plot which is kinda annoying but exile 3... i recieved that demo from 250 best arcade games disk and it was AWESOME so we ordered the entie trilogy.

--------------------
behold the semi-functional glory www.legionaryproductions.sitesled.com
Apprentice
Member # 9367
Profile #5
Roger,
Exile II does have the best story (I don’t think I or III come close), but Exile III has the best game system, (except for the lack of the pacifist trait), and the world was developed the best. Jobs really added a lot, (and did it also add weapon improvement? That’s another neat function). It’s hard to decide which is better.

--------------------
I came, I saw, I conquered
Lifecrafter
Member # 375
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Robsta:

Roger,
Exile II does have the best story (I don’t think I or III come close)

What? Exile III had the semblance of a story? Please, tell us more. :)

--------------------
"I liked white better."
Warrior
Member # 7633
Profile #7
Exile II had weapon improvements as well. They were pretty easy to miss, though.
Apprentice
Member # 11730
Profile Homepage #8
I liked Exile III the best. It was well designed, in my opinion more so than the other two, and kept me busy longer.... It also helped that when I made my switch to Linux, I could take Exile III with me. Given that I only played the demo because my wallet was already hurting at the time, I feel bad that Spiderweb Software became discouraged and demoralized about making Linux games. With the resurgence of the Linux desktop, and more businesses using it in corporate environments and the work people seeing it and trying it out at home, Linux will gain a foothold. Also, Windows Vista hasn't been doing so well... Already with all the other advancements in propagation of Linux to the masses (Dell selling Ubuntu PCs, Everex and ASUS low cost machines, etc.), Spiderweb Software should rethink their position about Linux games.

Anyone who says that the games always work fine under Wine are crazy. The latest versions of Wine + any of the Exile and a few of the Avernum games = borked up screen and sound. Sound is easily fixed with driver emulation, but screen issues... Also it is a very weak excuse to not support Linux natively when there are very powerful cross-platform toolkits that can be used for game development (SDL, OpenAL, wxWidgets, MinGW, Code::Blocks, wxFormBuilder, etc.), and all these tools work on Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X. I just hope Spiderweb reconsiders it for Avernum 5. Now that would be sweet for Linux.

[ Sunday, December 23, 2007 18:41: Message edited by: King InuYasha ]

--------------------
Open Blades of Exile Cross 32-bit Project
Know any Win16=>Win32 porting resources? Let me know!
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #9
I did not purchase the first two segments, which likely discloses my predilection on this subject.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #10
Of the trilogy, I found E3 first, E1 last. I also believe E1 to be the hardest, and E3 to be the easiest.
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Exile I had that neat feature of recharging wands
I liked that feature a lot, and wish it would've lasted longer than just E1 & E2. It was an excellent (not to mention cheap) way to get more shots from a wand.

[ Wednesday, January 02, 2008 12:00: Message edited by: The Mystic ]

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Apprentice
Member # 12891
Profile #11
I prefer exile 3. The world seems so much larger and complex. Since it was the first one I'd played, the ending was a bit more surprising than if I had played 1 or 2 first. Also the cave scene got a bit boring in 1 and 2.

And what pacifism are you referring to?

--------------------
Dry Ice. Updated 5x a week for your icy amusement.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by bagelfairy:

And what pacifism are you referring to?
It's a trait in Exile II that gives a 40% experience bonus but prevents the character from directly damaging an opponent in any way. It's even less useful than it sounds.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #13
Apparently it also prevents the character from indirectly damaging the opponent in any way, including by summons, field spells, buffs and debuffs...

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Unhasty:

Apparently it also prevents the character from indirectly damaging the opponent in any way, including by summons, field spells, buffs and debuffs...
I briefly tried using a pacifist character once a few years ago and I'm pretty sure that damaging field spells don't work but all the others, including summons, do. It still means you have a character who's useless half the time, and the experience bonus won't come anywhere near making up for not getting any kills at all.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #15
I just did a test. With a fresh Pacifist, the follow spells were castable in combat mode:

- Light
- Invisibility
- Long Light

- Light Heal
- Weaken Poison
- Sanctuary
- Symbiosis
- Cure Poison
- Light
- Heal
- Light Heal All
- Cure Disease
- Restore Mind

That is the COMPLETE list. Pacifism not only stops Bless and Haste, Summon Spirit and Flame Cloud, it also stops Dispel Field and Scry Monster!

(Obviously, this list does not include spells unavailable at the start of the game.)

The workaround is that Pacifism has no effect outside of combat mode, so in walkabout mode a Pacifist can cast summon spells (as well as Dispel Field and Scry Monster). But most other prohibited spells can only be cast in combat mode, so they can't be used at all.

Ridiculous.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6801
Profile #16
Exile 2 was (and still is) my favorite. It also was the first I played.I loved the plot and the world. Exile 3 was great, but as much as I loved the huge world and the outdoor graphics, I found the plot rather weak and I missed the "patriotic" feeling I had when I fought the Empire in Exile 2.
Apprentice
Member # 17345
Profile Homepage #17
I'm sly, really as I never played the first Exile game, I suppose I really missed out.

I loved II, my first ever Exile experience. I got the shareware version on a disc of assorted games. I'm ever so pleased I did!

From the age of seven, Exile consumed me. It was all I thought about during school hours. I shunned my friends for it and got restricted to a measley 30 minutes computer allowance because of my addiction. It's so strange to think that now.

Anyway, in reply to the main question. Exile 3, it took me ages to complete but it was an amazing feeling when I did. Genius plot.

I suppose I shall have to get into Avernum now, I'm sure I'd feel a traitor as I'm a bit of an old stick but I'm sure I won't regret it! I never do.

I talk too much...

--------------------
Be England what she will...

Adrianna is genius.

=D
Lifecrafter
Member # 375
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Unhasty:

That is the COMPLETE list.
(Obviously, this list does not include spells unavailable at the start of the game.)

Okay, so it isn't complete then. Hmm. I'd put up the complete list of spells up, but I've never played with a pacifist.
Anyway, to add to my previous reply, I agree with some of the posters here that III had the best engine, and II had the best plot.

[ Saturday, April 26, 2008 14:59: Message edited by: ezAndy ]

--------------------
"I liked white better."
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #19
Exile 2, definitively.

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .