Will Exile ever be carbonized?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Will Exile ever be carbonized?
Apprentice
Member # 6693
Profile #0
Hello everybody, first post here.

To this day the Exile trilogy has remained one of my favorite video games of all time. So many fond memories have revolved around it, one being how especially enjoyable and sometimes therapeutic Escape From the Pit was for me when I was in 6th grade. However, I have now acquired a much more advanced high-end G4 laptop in which Mac OS 9 is no longer supported, and as we ascend further, Apple has decided to leave behind OS 9 ENTIRELY... No classic, no nothing. I, personally, am actually very upset over Apple's decision to do this, as this leaves oppurtunities to enjoy wonderful classics like Exile grow thinner as the world is now slowly leaving pastimes like Classic Macintosh in the dust. :(

Now I'm one who is often known to understand changes and sometimes evolve with the world, but this game is something that I simply can not leave behind. The Avernum series, Exile's 'upgrade', may be more polished and tweaked, but to me it still misses greatly on the charm that always seemed to be hanging over the original and fails to be as delivering and with a true bare-bones-atmosphere as Exile is in my opinion.

I know that the Avernum series is considered a 'remake' of the Exile series and is currently being focused on for carbonization, but given the advances that not just Apple but all of technology is taking, can't the old classic be carbonized? I don't want to sound like an impatient thorn, but I believe this masterpiece could use an update to OSX. Any possibilities?

--------------------
I'm an avid gamer and proud of it!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Jeff has said that if support for Classic mode is ever completely dropped from newer Macs, he'll do what's necessary to update all his older games so they still run.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 3805
Profile Homepage #2
Thank goodness!

Say, I haven't been here in 2 years.

--------------------
They're breaching the stronghold! Bring up the drawbridge! Fire arrows and cannons! Send warriors to guard the area! They're coming!
Warrior
Member # 5701
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Jeff has said that if support for Classic mode is ever completely dropped from newer Macs, he'll do what's necessary to update all his older games so they still run.
That's a relief to hear.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #4
I feel your pain, M.o.R. Microsoft's decision to stop using MS-DOS in XP made me mourn the loss of all those classics (good thing I have another computer with WIN98!).

--------------------
VOTE FOR DINTIRADAN!
I promise to reduce the number of random encounters in Valorim, introduce an adventurer tax cut, and legalize skribbane!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

I feel your pain, M.o.R. Microsoft's decision to stop using MS-DOS in XP made me mourn the loss of all those classics (good thing I have another computer with WIN98!).
With enough finagling, you can get pretty much any old PC game to work in XP. Just make sure that all the .exe and .bat files are in Win 95 or 98 compatability mode.

EDIT: .com files don't need compatability mode. I was thinking of .bat

[ Wednesday, January 18, 2006 11:23: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

With enough finagling, you can get pretty much any old PC game to work in XP. Just make sure that all the .exe and .com files are in Win 95 or 98 compatability mode.[/QB]
Yeah, and besides, they were originally talking about Mac OS 9!

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
Which is no longer supported by Intel Macs, so the fate of Exile hangs in the balance!

—Alorael, who actually has hopes for projects like Mac-on-Mac. Chip emulation is a little more work, but people would be willing to pay to keep playing the games of yesteryear.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5701
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Paneudaimonium:

Which is no longer supported by Intel Macs, so the fate of Exile hangs in the balance!

—Alorael, who actually has hopes for projects like Mac-on-Mac. Chip emulation is a little more work, but people would be willing to pay to keep playing the games of yesteryear.

I suppose in the absolute worst-case scenario, we could all just use or buy an old Mac for the Exile series. I mean, old 1st generation iMacs can be had for under $50 via eBay and some online surplus retailers.
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Brigand Warrior:

Thank goodness!

People...we have a VIP on ours hands.

Say hello to the maker of the "Xian Skull!" topic.

--------------------
I am a silly, silly fool.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Every Man For Himself:

quote:

Thank goodness!

A legend at three posts? Wow. Someone has skills.

What exactly was the "Xian Skull" topic about, anyway? All I can infer and glean is that it was totally awesome, but no one seems to really be able to describe what made it so.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Apprentice
Member # 6693
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

--------------------
VOTE FOR DINTIRADAN!
I promise to reduce the number of random encounters in Valorim, introduce an adventurer tax cut, and legalize skribbane!

Oh goodness, PCs too? :(

By the way, am I the only one who actually likes the classic Macintosh theme better than Mac OS X? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a BIG fan of the old, but it's a lot more refreshing to me than this cheesy, over-exaggerated, bubbly, seemingly-diva-influenced aqua and platinum theme. :P It was rather shocking and interesting at first, but I'm really starting to hate it now. At least classic Macintosh's theme wasn't too exaggerated so that even if you didn't care for it, you didn't have to be annoyed by it. Does anyone here know what I'm saying?

[ Wednesday, January 18, 2006 19:00: Message edited by: Master of Reality ]

--------------------
I'm an avid gamer and proud of it!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Master of Reality:

By the way, am I the only one who actually likes the classic Macintosh theme better than Mac OS X? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a BIG fan of the old, but it's a lot more refreshing to me than this cheesy, over-exaggerated, bubbly, seemingly-diva-influenced aqua and platinum theme. :P It was rather shocking and interesting at first, but I'm really starting to hate it now.
Funnily enough, I had almost exactly the opposite reaction to Aqua. It annoyed me at first, but over time I grew accustomed to it.

You can, of course, always get a different theme.

Oh, and

quote:
Originally posted by Knotty:
What exactly was the "Xian Skull" topic about, anyway? All I can infer and glean is that it was totally awesome, but no one seems to really be able to describe what made it so.
Someone posted an innocent question about the Xian Skull. Lots of people gave false answers, endeavouring to make them as silly as possible. People built on each other's answers until the entire topic grew to be about a kind of bizarre alternate-universe version of Exile 3, with a bit of Nethergate and Geneforge mixed in.

[ Wednesday, January 18, 2006 19:41: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #13
Actually, after thinking more about it, this might not be him. I know his name had Bandit in it, his name seems strangely familiar.

--------------------
I am a silly, silly fool.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
The Xian Skull was like a cooperative game of Mornington Crescent. It almost made sense.

If you don't understand what this means, you don't deserve to understand what this means. Understand?

—Alorael, who made the leap from OS 9 only recently. While OS X is undeniably superior, he too was surprised by the bells and whistles on what was once a much more utilitarian interface. He can't complain about it, but he wouldn't be terribly sad if it disappeared, either.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Every Man For Himself:

quote:

Thank goodness!

Ah-hah! Topic creator extraordinaire! Do it again! :P

--------------------
-ben4808
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #16
Its strange, I've been here for a LONG time, and still, the only major thread I was ever a part of (or in fact, ever noticed) was the Slith/Nephil Thread.

--------------------
-Step aside, worthy adversary!
-T'is but a scratch!
-A scratch! Your arms off!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)
-Allright. We'll call it a draw then.
-Oh I see. Running away are we? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take whats coming for you! I'll bite your legs off!

"You know that you've played Halo 2 to much when you sit down for dinner, pick your fork up, look at the knife, and in the corner of your vision, you see *Press X to pick up Press Y to dual wield*"
BANNED
Member # 6736
Profile Homepage #17
hey, men in here.
I need a reg-code.
could someone please give it to me or mail it to yoeppy2@hotmail.com?
I just need the code for at least the editors, but for the games Exile 1,2&3 is fine too.
Please help me to a code.
Greetzz Yoeppy :D
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
These are Spiderweb's message boards. Unsurprisingly, Spiderweb is uninterested in aiding in the theft of its games. If you want to play Exile, register. If you register, you get the editor for free.

—Alorael, who can't even say that this post was related to the rest of the thread.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #19
It wasn't. yoeppy also can't spell and assumed everyone here was male. There are very few members I will disparage but yoeppy has become such a member. Since yoeppy doesn't mind stealing, stealing any chance of a good reputation won't bother yoeppy.

There are worse things to do on the first post but Dikiyoba can't think of anything, since double posting would be more than one post.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #20
Everyone's reg code is different, so we couldn't tell you even if we wanted to. Besides that, further talk will probably get you banned.

</advice_to_be_heeded>

--------------------
-ben4808
Apprentice
Member # 6746
Profile #21
Haha... I guess that's true...
I do hope Exile gets carbonized, though. I love Avernum, sure, but I REALLY loved the variety of spells available in Exile 3.
(Death Arrows! Yay!)
And, nobody had Forcecage...
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #22
Just one more off-topic inquiry, since the other thread was locked: The way Kelandon wrote that last post, it sounded as though he had banned the guy.

Can mods really ban people, or did you just give Drakey a shout on AIM, Kel?

[ Thursday, February 09, 2006 12:30: Message edited by: Arancaytar the Grey ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
There's a mod board. Whilst I cannot officially confirm or deny that any particular post has been made on it, you wouldn't go far wrong in guessing that this is the sort of thing it is used for. :P

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #24
We neither confirm nor deny rumors that mods can ban people. We neither confirm nor deny rumors that they can't. We just emphasize the denying a little more for the former and the confirming a little more for the latter.

—Alorael, who can confirm that he wrote this post. Look for his signature of approval on all posts by Alorael.

Pages