Is it intentional?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Is it intentional?
Apprentice
Member # 5672
Profile #0
1. I remember that there was a discussion that with 11+ action points you should be able to attack, move, and attack again. I am even sure that I have managed to do this previously. However, now I am getting a message that "you cannot move after attacking". Where's the old hit-and-run tactic?

2. For masochists: there is a way to hurt yourself. In the fighting mode, choose a battle spell and click on yourself. It is rather funny when you parry your own attack.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
If you use a baton or spell then you usually can not move again in hasted mode. The exceptions are if you do a melee attack or click on an item to search it. The order of your actions is important.

You could always use attack spells upon yourself or an ally. The game usually only checks for melee and missle attacks where you get the can not talk during combat message. Crystal attacks can be done without causing a fight.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #2
Ooh. Bug!

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
Just out of curiosity, what happens if one of your creations attacks your main character?

Dikiyoba.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

Ooh. Bug!
One that has been there since GF1.

quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Just out of curiosity, what happens if one of your creations attacks your main character?
I can only answer from experience, but in GF1 and GF3, one of your own creations attacking you would just end up as a normal attack. You would take damage. In GF2, however, if one of your creations attacked you, it immediately was game-over.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
Actually, it's G1 where a creation attack results in instant death and G2 and G3 that results in ordinary damage.

Dikiyoba.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #6
Nope. It's GF2. And for clarification, I meant having your critter attack you manually (by clicking the attack button on it's turn and selecting your character).

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
Warrior
Member # 5870
Profile #7
As far as I can remeber, both GF1 and GF2 were game over once my creation attacked me. It was no instant death, I believe. My creation attacked me, so I turned against myself, its master (same as you or your creation attack another). Therefore I lost my character. And game over.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
Originally by Nioca:

quote:
And for clarification, I meant having your critter attack you manually (by clicking the attack button on it's turn and selecting your character).
That's what I did. I just tested it again and got the same result. My character lives in G2 and dies in G1.

And Dikiyoba can't get Dikiyoba's character to attack itself with spells in G1 or G2 either.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #9
Do you run a Mac by any chance?

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #10
No. That's why Dikiyoba had to ask instead of being able to try it.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #11
Weird. Maybe it just is different on different computers.

Suddenly, the game Geneforge takes on a whole new meaning. :eek:

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Eigenvalue:

1. I remember that there was a discussion that with 11+ action points you should be able to attack, move, and attack again. I am even sure that I have managed to do this previously. However, now I am getting a message that "you cannot move after attacking". Where's the old hit-and-run tactic?

This is a change from previous Geneforges. To answer the thread question. Yes, it is intentional.

But you can now attack with less than 5AP. Thus, you can move 7AP and then attack. The no move after attack restriction is the quid pro quo for being able to attack with 1AP rather than requiring the full 5AP as in previous Geneforge's. No more hit and run but think about the possibilities using gems and pods... a lot more attacks in a turn are now possible.

[ Monday, November 27, 2006 23:11: Message edited by: Skippy the bush kangaroo ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 1417
Profile #13
I really miss the hit and run. Seemed that was the Agent's whole raison d’être. Now you get stranded in front of your enemies as soon as you cast your first spell. Not too crazy about this change.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #14
That was my feeling too. But I got won over by three considerations:
1) the Agent's hit-and-run tactics would inevitably degenerate into absurd engine abuse, so really we're all better off with toning that down;
2) you can still hit-and-run if you use crystals, since these don't stop you from moving;
3) even if you never add Endurance points, your health will be high enough now that you can afford to get hit back a bit, especially once you get some good Blessing spells.

You can often still jump around a corner and blast everything in sight. You can generally survive the retaliation by whatever is left, and then either blast again, or run away at that point. It kind of still feels the same, at least to me.

What you can't do is count on pure battle magic (let alone pure Firebolt) to handle every single encounter. It's a really good idea for an Infiltrator to get some serious Mental Magic as well now. But to me this is a sign of improved balance.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #15
If the first spell you cast is daze, with the right combination of mental magic and spellcraft, it's all you usually need. For most of the first 2 chapters you can stun most of your opponents and then pick them off one by one. One nasty thing is to use daze and burning spray since that damage comes at the end of the round. You can if you go first repeatedly daze your opponents and damage a new one every round once you are hasted.